Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Hello there .

I'm Julie. I live in Ohio and am desperately searching for a 16' newer model AS. I've been given the greenlight to buy one after begging my husband for 5 years and I want to find one before he changes his mind!

I'm sure I'll have a million questions during this process, so I'm pretty glad to be here.

Thanks,

Julie
__________________

__________________
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
aphrodite's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 42
Welcome! We, too, are relatively new to Airstreams and have found the resources here on the Forum to be invaluable.

Search away and enjoy the journey!
__________________

__________________
Joe

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,764
Images: 5
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Hi Julie. Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. We'll be glad to answer them. Also, please let us know if you are an experienced RVer or new to all this. This will help in answering your questions and making suggestions to you.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
denmcd's Avatar
 
1978 28' Ambassador
Pella , Iowa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 27
Blog Entries: 6
19' Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie5 View Post
I'm Julie. I live in Ohio and am desperately searching for a 16' newer model AS. I've been given the greenlight to buy one after begging my husband for 5 years and I want to find one before he changes his mind!

I'm sure I'll have a million questions during this process, so I'm pretty glad to be here.

Thanks,

Julie

I found a 19' bambi priced reasonable at this link.
2007 Airstream 19' Bambi Safari One Owner Excellent Condition! - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale

and a 16' at this link
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...t=20158&cat=16
__________________
denmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
jump's Avatar
 
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 261
Hi Julie!

When you find the one you are looking for, and you suspect some reluctance from dear Hubby, I would suggest moist eyes and maybe a trembling lower lip ... It seemed to work on my wife when I found our first AS.

I wouldn't over do it though, you will have those alterations to do later.

Happy hunting!

JP
__________________
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Hey Brian,

Thanks so much! I wouldn't say we are super experienced although we have had a rooftop tent for the past few years. I've been camping since I was a kid and have always loved it. We've definitely never pulled a camper before, which should be a fun time till we get the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Hi Julie. Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. We'll be glad to answer them. Also, please let us know if you are an experienced RVer or new to all this. This will help in answering your questions and making suggestions to you.

Brian
__________________
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Thanks! We are pretty set on a 16 and I did see that one you showed. I have been a bit afraid of it only because I believe (correct me please if I am wrong) that the newer Sports are a bit lighter? I am trying to make it as painless as possible for us to pull since we are pretty new at this, although I am finding that these things are hard to come by, and that we might have to not be so picky soon! Does anyone know is there a huge different in towing an International vs a Sport? Another problem I'm having is that almost everything I am finding have been either special editions, like the 75th anniversary or the DWR version, which makes them more expensive. We'd like just a plain jane Sport, perhaps 2008-2012. I think I can end up getting one for the same price as an older model special edition one. Again, I could be totally wrong about that.


__________________
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Haha, yes I've been using the moist eyes and trembling lower lip trick for the last few years. I think he'll go for it if I can find one he's comfortable towing and reaching into the wallet for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump View Post
Hi Julie!

When you find the one you are looking for, and you suspect some reluctance from dear Hubby, I would suggest moist eyes and maybe a trembling lower lip ... It seemed to work on my wife when I found our first AS.

I wouldn't over do it though, you will have those alterations to do later.

Happy hunting!

JP
__________________
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
denmcd's Avatar
 
1978 28' Ambassador
Pella , Iowa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 27
Blog Entries: 6
Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie5 View Post
Thanks! We are pretty set on a 16 and I did see that one you showed. I have been a bit afraid of it only because I believe (correct me please if I am wrong) that the newer Sports are a bit lighter? I am trying to make it as painless as possible for us to pull since we are pretty new at this, although I am finding that these things are hard to come by, and that we might have to not be so picky soon! Does anyone know is there a huge different in towing an International vs a Sport? Another problem I'm having is that almost everything I am finding have been either special editions, like the 75th anniversary or the DWR version, which makes them more expensive. We'd like just a plain jane Sport, perhaps 2008-2012. I think I can end up getting one for the same price as an older model special edition one. Again, I could be totally wrong about that.

I don't think you will have problems with towing. We bought a 28' international last weekend and my wife backed ours away from the house (3' away from house) and towed it all the way home with me following her with no problems.
__________________
denmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmcd View Post
I don't think you will have problems with towing. We bought a 28' international last weekend and my wife backed ours away from the house (3' away from house) and towed it all the way home with me following her with no problems.
That's awesome! I will probably need to be sure I know how to do this too. We have a Toyota FJ cruiser and a Range Rover Sport. Not sure what we will use yet to tow with. My husband swears the FJ will be fine and would rather not use our Rover to do it.
__________________
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie5 View Post
....<snip>.... I am finding have been either special editions, like the 75th anniversary or the DWR version, which makes them more expensive. We'd like just a plain jane Sport, perhaps 2008-2012. ....<snip>.
Just for clarification...any rig made in 2006-2007 will be badged as a 75th Anniversary Edition...that does not make it more expensive...it's the 75th Limited Edition 19' Bambi that is the expensive one, along iwth the DWR and other special edition models. The "Sports" are a relatively new branding that evolved from the previous "Safari" model, while the "Sarafri SE" was rebranded as the newer "Flying Cloud"...it's all quite convoluted and interbred....and not at all easy to untangle... "Sports" are generally lighter than their comparably-sized cousins such as the Safari SE/Flying Clouds or Internationals. And there are some amenity differences as well between trim levels and models...some of them important and some of them no so much ...so you should do your research and really try to compare oranges to oranges when shopping around.

And most important, don't give up...the rig perfect for you and your needs is out there waiting for you, as many many folks here on the Forums will tell you.

Good luck and we hope to see you on the road having fun with your rig sooner rather than later!
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,472
Julie5

Welcome to the forums.

Looking for an Airstream is a little like looking for a mate. Look at lots of them. You have to in order to learn about them and see what you like and don't like. It is easy to buy one. You just want to make sure that you buy the right one for you and hubby.

Look at new ones at a dealer. Go to a rally and look at all the Streams there and talk to the owners.

You might look at vintage if you can find a nice one.
They are lighter and easier to tow than the new ones.

Good luck and have fun on your search.

Dan
__________________
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Just for clarification...any rig made in 2006-2007 will be badged as a 75th Anniversary Edition...that does not make it more expensive...it's the 75th Limited Edition 19' Bambi that is the expensive one, along iwth the DWR and other special edition models. The "Sports" are a relatively new branding that evolved from the previous "Safari" model, while the "Sarafri SE" was rebranded as the newer "Flying Cloud"...it's all quite convoluted and interbred....and not at all easy to untangle... "Sports" are generally lighter than their comparably-sized cousins such as the Safari SE/Flying Clouds or Internationals. And there are some amenity differences as well between trim levels and models...some of them important and some of them no so much ...so you should do your research and really try to compare oranges to oranges when shopping around.

And most important, don't give up...the rig perfect for you and your needs is out there waiting for you, as many many folks here on the Forums will tell you.

Good luck and we hope to see you on the road having fun with your rig sooner rather than later!
Thanks so much for that! I am pretty new to this still and am not real sure on some of the differences. I guess maybe the Internationals, no matter the year are just more expensive? I think what I was seeing is that the 2006 International is about the same price as a 2013 Sport is going on Ebay for. I assumed it was because it was the 75th edition model but I guess that maybe they were just more expensive to begin with now? That makes sense. We are trying to find something under 30K that is a 2006 or up. Needs to be a 16'. I have looked at new ones, and one used on in my area that was not for sale. At the time I was not really looking seriously and didn't take note of the type or difference to the inside/out. I just knew it was a 16'.

Thanks again for your help. I need a guide that tells me each year and what was made as far as 16' models and also what their starting prices that year were. Then I could really make a more informed decision. I'm gonna do some research on the boards here and see if I can make me one...

Edit: After looking, I did find this list online! With MSRP's for when they were new on a lot of them. Making more sense now... I guess I want a Sport that is from 2011 or 2012 in order for it to end up being under 30K. They must not have made very many.

http://www.colonialairstream.com/evo...i-trailer.html
__________________
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,936
Images: 2
Julie,

We searched off and on. When it is right you will know....

Meanwhile, as this path is new, take a moment.. Breathe in the alumina.... Check the flamingo fauna. Learn the lingo till you are fully immersed.

Then tell yourself..."are you out of your MIND?!?!?). Well, so what?

I have done many things in life... The best were those things that were natural, like falling in love with my lovely Bride... Together we have survived and thrived. I am totally blessed, so maybe a bit Pollyanna.

However, the method proves itself.

When searching for TT(travel trailers) I would mention AS(Airstream) and I almost slept on the couch. We looked at the plastic trailers, but they just didn't click as "long term" relationship material...I had to work at "liking" them.. Just not natural for me. Eventually we stumbled upon our FIRST AS.... The one we now own. It was natural. When my wife stepped into the AS, I knew she "got it"... And we have fixed and tweaked. Together.

Good Lord wiling we will pass down to our 3 USMC Sons and their families.

Happy hunting!!! Remember.... When it is right, it just works.

Peace and blessings
Channing and Phyllis.
__________________

__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.