Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Madison heights , VA - Virginia
Hello ... Silver !!!

Just made my way into the forum. 69 Overlander, probably made in 68, have to pull a full monty ... i am almost 6 ft 4 and was wondering if im doin this thing injustice or am on the right track.

Love to add a spacer or two underneath frame and switch out bolts with something other than metal.

feel like i should insulate without messing up rivet holes later... figuring i must keep it in a shelter to avoid making a tent for it. (not impossible)

preinsulate with flex wrapbefore roxl?

sould i keep as much wood as possible out of it when i redo? as to avoid condensation issues? is there a way to vent the cavities themselves?

would love to make this thing a slideout. but incur weight issues i know and messing up the original product. a spacer i could finagle but slideout maybe not seeing as the back unit is solid and runs into the light. So yeah. um i bit into something huge!

any insight would be helpful.
HuberDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums! Before you do much planning, I would read some threads on what others have done and how to do things. There's a lot of good reading and advice in the '60's section of the forums.
As to making it a slide-out: you would need a new frame. These '60's and 70's trailers do not have a frame strong enough to accommodate the weight of a slide out.
There is at least one thread about someone who added height to their trailer by lifting the entire shell up 6 - 8 inches by extending the ribs. Not sure how that turned out, or what the thread name is....Try doing a search on raising height of trailer, maybe. Cosmetically matching the aluminum skin of the trailer would be a challenge as the aluminum used has changed over the years.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

You might enjoy reading "The Love Shack" thread for some insights and good laughs about the twists and turns along the path of renovation:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
There is at least one thread about someone who added height to their trailer by lifting the entire shell up 6 - 8 inches by extending the ribs. Not sure how that turned out, or what the thread name is....
I think that was one of the many threads where the owner disappeared halfway through and was never heard from again. Whether that's right or not, he did a ton of work to raise the roof!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
almost to the end of the gut stage. someone else started it, im finishing and starting a whole new thing lolololo o ooohhh boy
Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
i cant see too much of an issue
done this plenty with other framworks

only way to get a cushy floor and keep the original celing fixtures and insulate.

it would be more top heavy if you were to travel
Old 06-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: I have a 75 Overlander and my son has a 69 Globetrotter. I have done quite a bit of work to both trailers.

Airstreams are rather small compared to other trailers. Their philosophy is to build small and lightweight for easy towing. I like to say it is like camping in a business jet. Not much room, but once seated, quite comfortable.

Your renovation plans may not fit well with an Airstream doner. I hear ya on the ceiling height issues. The beds in a 69 are smaller too. I wonder how many times I have bumped my head on that small entry door. Hundreds I bet.
Airstream did build a slide out model several years ago.

Read here about folks who have renovated these vintage Airstreams and maybe what the limitations might be. Then you can double check your design ideas against the trailer itself.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
moving on

just got insulation out and looking at odd framing structure. are the wall supposed to be sealed or vent ? it appears ac is on backwards and framework of2x2 is broken. a whole side seems to have been scraped and well is not holding anything anymore blah... going to start fixing things and try to pin the wires back in place or something. considering re running wall wires nicer and looking for more cracked wire insulation.. biggest deal i guess other than them rubbing on a corner
Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
thanks for the imput, havent hit the door yet im ok w that.. for some reason guess im used to it being tall and all. its too bad that you cant make a bolt on assembly thats not so complicated and upside down as they did...