Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Talking Hello... No longer suffering from envy

Guess I should change my member name, as spouse and I just purchased a 16 foot Bambi CCD in Piqua, OH. We weren't planning on this late-fall windfall, but they made us an unrefusable offer on what is undoubtedly the last 2004 16' new CCD in the country, and we were hooked.

Toured the AS factory the same afternoon, which made for one of the most fun-filled days we've had in a looooonnnng time. Highly recommened - Don, who gave the tour, knew Wally Byam well, and is full of company lore.

I'm Jon, wife's name Linda, we're from Cincinnati, and planning on doing weekend trips and vacations in the Bambi as rehearsal for retirement. We've been hardcore tent campers all our lives, so Bambi will be absolute luxury for us, and we can now take our most wonderful cat with us wherever we go.

We're gonna get the intro two weeks from now, which seems to be standard dealer practice, after which they'll deliver the little treasure to our very own driveway.

Coupla newbie questions:

We don't yet have a tow vehicle, and probably won't for a few months. Even when we do have one, I'm sure it will take awhile to accurately back this puppy into our curved driveway. I'd like to put a dolly wheel on the hitch and be able to push the trailer into position, maybe even turn it around. I routinely push our car around our flat driveway, so I know I can move the weight. I'm thinking of a using a scissors jack to insert the wheel, move the trailer, then remove the wheel for parking. Do such wheels exist, and does this sound like a reasonable idea?

Over the winter, we're likely to "play" camp in it. Other than the obvious problems with the water systems (which we probably won't use), what do we need to do for winter use? If we power it from the garage, will that keep the battery charged, or should we remove it and bring it inside?

How long will a propane tank heat this little trailer? Does the fridge use a lot?

THANKS, and it's great to be here!

Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Congrats on the new CCD. The one thing you didn't mention is spending the first overnighter in it. On the two we bought, we spent the first nights in the dealer's RV park. That was enought to find the bugs and have them fixed before heading home....some 500 miles away.
About your questions, the line from your garage should keep the battery charged. In winter use we get about a week's worth of heat from one propane bottle in our Bambi....that's below freezing every night.

Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Welcome to the aluminum addiction. I suspect your going to have way more fun than you even think you'll have.

As for tow vehicle: I have a Nissan Titan and, as it pulls our 31' Sovereign around in a right spritely fashion, I am sure it would tow your Bambi with ease. May be overkill, though.

As for backing -- you will be surprised at how fast you'll master this skill. I managed to put our Sovereign through the side gate of our yard on the first try ( 12" of clearance on either side). I recommend a (cheap) set of walkie talkies -- practice a bit with your partner. With my wife, the hardest thing to learn was when she said "left" it meant "MY right".

Can't help you with propane use -- we live in Miami. We have had our trailer since June and have spent about 10 nights in it. We are still on the tank and a half the PO had in it when we picked it up. That's with cooking and hot water only.

Make up a series of checklists -- hooking up, setting up camp, securing for travel... It's too easy to forget something (we drove 125 miles with the awning up but not locked -- got lucky and it didn't deploy).

Have fun, be safe and report back any succesful sojourns,

Mike Hassall
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #4

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Congrats on the new coach!. I am sure you will get years of good use and good memories out of it.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
If you're camping in the driveway w/shore power you could use a small ceramic heater to keep toasty warm. we have one that is about 8 inches high - fits in tiny spaces, works like a dream.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Jon & Linda---Congrats on your new Bambi. WE had an 04/16'/CCD for a little over a year and really enjoyed it. Wife retired so we have more time available for travel and wanted something a little bigger. We towed ours with an v6 S_10 chev. pickup for several months then traded it for a Titian like n2916s. It doesn't take a lot of tow vehicle for a Bambi. I would agree with others here that if at all possable spend a night or 2 in it at the dealers lot. There is nearly always a thing or 2 you'll want them to correct while you're there plus it will give you a chance to ask them questions that might arise concerning the operatiion of it. A bottle of propane will last several days even in cold weather if you basicly us it for nights only. The Fridge uses very little. If you don't have water in it you can use an electric space heater as someone mentioned to suppliment the furnace. Something no one has mentioned is ventilition. The 16 is quit small as you know. This means when closed up you will get some condensation if you don't have something slightly open at night then more so at least to let it air out some in the day. look under members pictures for Mike Lewis and you can see where we've been with ours .
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Jon and Linda,

Congratulations on you new Bambi. Did you get the aft panoramic windows? The 16' is a cozy little trailer for 2 people. We looked at them, but we have 2 daughters, so we opted for the 22'. We have enjoyed it for the past 2 years. We joined WBCCI this year and have enjoyed the new friendships.

What type of camping will you like to do in your trailer? Full hook-ups in Trailer Parks? Boondocking? The 16' Bambi with a 3500# GVWR can be towed by all full sized Light Duty trucks/ SUVs and specially equipped mid-sized trucks. You will probably need a brake controller.

I think tow wheels exist, but there are also motorized and non-motorized tow dollies for moving a trailer around in a garage. I've seen them advertized in Trailer Life.

I keep my trailer plugged in all year to an external 120 VAC outlet. I just add water occasionally to the battery. If needed, I run a small electric heater in the trailer when I'm working in it. If you keep it plugged it, don't waste the propane. Just use electric for heat and refrigeration.

My water lines are winterized. Do a search on winterization for an appropriate thread outlining the details. Of course, you could ask the dealer to do it before delivery, if it has not already been done to protect the lines there in Ohio. It's already dropping below freezing there. So I'd expect the dealer has already taken care of it.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
But how long will it be before.....?

Congrats and ENJOY! You're going to love camping sooooooo much more under aluminum. Lying in bed, listening to the rain plink gently against the aluminum roof is one of my favorite sounds. Not finding a creepy-crawlie clinging onto a web inches from my face isn't bad either!

I have the 05' 22 ft. CCD - and what prior posters have told you about condensation is true. It is most apparent on our aluminum walls, but happens under the "rag" in Safari's and Classics. At least our silver walls won't get musty.

I started leaving the vent in the bathroom open but even a few nights in the 40's convinced me that's a bad idea. Picture the kid who sticks his tongue to the flagpole... and then use your imagination!

Hint, on cold nights leave the bathroom door slightly ajar.

Now I just leave my back vent barely cracked. A small ceramic heater will keep mine warm without help from the heat strips in the A/C. It has only hit freezing for two nights here so far, so when it gets REALLY cold I'm thinking that I'll either need to add the furnace or heat strips in my A/C. I'm 90% full-timing so I use the campground's electricity to preserve my propane. I got my unit in March and didn't refill my two tanks until September. I'm sure I'll go through it faster in winter though. These small units use little tanks, the same kind you can get at Home Depot or your local grocery store on an exchange basis, so I may just pick up a spare tank just to have as an emergency backup. Many campgrounds are rather remote and when they have a power failure it can last for several hours or in a blizzard, even for days, so spare propane is a great idea.

One thing I found out about my A/C unit is that all the controls are manual - nothing shuts itself off when the desired temperature is reached. The compressor may disengage on the A/C, but the fan runs constantly and somewhat noisily. The ceramic heater has a small fan, but is quieter than the heat strips plus fan... and it shuts off when it reaches the preset temperature. At night I sleep under a down comforter, so I like it cool. When I get out of the shower I want it WARM!

I don't do a whole lot of cooking in my unit, and when I do, I'm religious about turning on the fan to remove odors. Any Airstream is a very confined space so if the fan isn't on, you could smell it for days! If it's gonna be spicy or fishy, I'll cook it outside. When I do bacon, I pre-cook a whole pound or two over a campfire - yummy! - and keep it in the refrigerator, then just zap it in the microwave to rewarm. Of course, most of the time when you cook bacon, you'll find yourself hosting an impromptu party.... and there's none left over.

Now for the bad news....

Next year you'll want a 25 footer so you can spend every weekend in it.

The year after that a 28

Then you'll restore and customize a tri-axle 34 footer.......

Hm... I see a driveway and licence plates that read "HIS" and "HERS"...

Hehe, best of luck with your FIRST Airstream.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Tow dolly

Hi - I have a push dolly for sale if your interested. I used it for my boats, but then got an uphill driveway...arrrggh. I'll measure it's ball height, but I'm pretty sure it will work. Basically, it is a wheeled platform with a trailer ball on top with a handle. Just put the ball under the tongue, and lower the jack onto the ball (like hooking up your trailer to your truck). It looks like new. Retail is $84 - I'd sell it for $45.00 + shipping.

It looks like this (well, it is this.).... The weight capicity refers to the tongue weight. I've used it to push my 18ft 3500# boat around.

I'm off to work now, but I can post pics tomorrow if you're interested.

Love that 16ft CCD, they're so cool! You'll have a blast, even in your driveway.
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Congrats as well from Wisconsin. I know when we got our first Airstream it was fun to see where people were from that replied to our announcement. I also did the Airstream factory tour and got hooked on getting an Airstream. We fully enjoy and know you will too. Congrats again.
2010 43' Newmar Dutch Aire
formerly 2006 34' Classic

Changing the World One Child at a Time

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
San Bruno , California
Hi Jon.

Congrats! And welcome to the A/S family!

I was a newbie like you not too long ago. Thought you might find this info helpful (link below) on what to bring, buy, etc. It helped me out a lot. Of course, I still ended up buying a few things that I didn't end up using, so try to do more with less if you want to save $. Enjoy!
'05 Int'l CCD 28' >sold then 8 years later> '13 FB Int'l CCD 25'
'05 Ford Excursion Ltd >> '14 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew
6.0L Diesel 3.73 >> 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 3.42
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the suggestions!

I'll undoubtedly be writing again with near-hysterical joy when Bambi comes home, then with more questions, and maybe to answer some myself one day.

Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
canton , tx
Hi Jon and're gonna love airstream camping...we're new also and did tent camping...went a different direction...bought an old motorhome (79 excella 29') with constant things to fix...still love it...we have a Nissan Titan crew cab with room like a large suv inside and pulls 9,000 lbs. with ease...I agree with everyone that a small elec heater is the way to keep it warm...have fun...joe
rvlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Congrats Jon and Linda! I can actually look over my shoulder as I type and see your unit (Notice the SOLD tag in the window). I heard Tom had sold that unit, but I didn't know I'd see the buyer in here! When you see him, ask him about the skunk! He called in today 'cause he got sprayed!!!

You got a SUPER deal on that unit. It's the one I've got advertized in here. I regret to inform you though that today we received our first snow and your unit does have some on it as you can see in the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jon and Linda's Bambi.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	16595

Here's the device you need to move your trailer about your driveway. You raise the handles so that the ball slips under the hitch, then you pull the handles down to pick the tongue up. Very handy. I don't know if we sell them or not, but I'm sure they aren't hard to come by.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TT Mover.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	16596

At any rate, GOOD LUCK and welcome to the family!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote