Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Kerrville , Texas
Hello, newbie & a project

Hello!
I am just starting on this AS adventure. I am looking for a 20-something foot trailer that i will (eventually) live in full-time. To that end, I'd like to find one that i can build out to suit my needs. (So, I'm not interested in Restoring." Also, I will not be towing the trailer very much at all. It will, in fact, be 'in-situ' for at least a couple of years before moving on to the next location.

It is just me and my 45lb dog who will be living in the trailer. I should also mention that this is being done on a shoe-string budget and I will be doing much of the work myself. Think practical and functional over style. (Although, of course I want it to look good too!)

I 'think' I'd be happy in 22-25,27 ft trailer. I've looked at some 30' ones and they just seem a bit loooong!

One of my first questions is; in that size range, which models have a rear bedroom? It seems many of them have the bath at the rear... If none of them do, how horrible would it be to move the plumbing? Would that mean not being able to use the existing fixtures (if the trailer i buy still in fact, has the original bathroom?)

Also, I am working on a timeline of months, not years. But I can devote myself to it full-time.

I'm interested in yall's opinions and suggestions!

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sounds like you have a good plan. I was able to pull a shell off redo in a month and a half. Worked every day from 8-12 hours, well it's not completely done but I got it usable for our trip. Every thing works but just plywood floor and not many cabinet doors. So months to do the inside is doable.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Yes, just make sure you realize that it is actually a full-time commitment, not sort of full time. And it will certainly be dependent upon the length of trailer. Although there are some tasks that aren't affected much due to efficiencies of scale, many hard-labor tasks will still be related directly to the length of the trailer.

Good luck!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I don't recommend trying to do it in a month and a half. I was very stressed and warn down till I hit the road.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote