Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
1959 28' Ambassador
Malvern , Arkansas
Hello: New member with a 59 Ambassador

Hey Everyone,
I am the owner of a 59 Ambassador (I think that is the year and make). I inherited it from my dad several years ago and I'm not sure about the make or model. It is a 28 ft trailer and from the research that I have done so far I think it is a 59 ambassador. It does not have anything on it that identifies it as a Ambassador. It has a Land Yacht plate on it and it says Wally Byam Caravan on the front. It was made in California and has twin bunk beds. Its in fair condition and I have been debating on restoring it or selling it. Anyways that is what brought me to this site. Thanks for all the info and I would appreciate any help on identifieing the year and model.

Scout800DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums. We're glad to have you.

Post some pictures!

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! We're glad you're here.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin

Definately post some pictures.... the more the better. There are many folks here that will offer their opinions on what you have and what it will take to restore it. That will give you and idea whether to keep it or sell it.

...sorry about your Dad. It's very nice of him to leave you such a cool trailer.
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a worthwhile project. Does get under your skin, especially when family history comes with it. Get us some pictures and you'll get a fair (well fairly biased towards keeping airstreams rolling) assessment of what can be done.

Bets of luck!
Rob N Terry
"There’s not much in life we can’t over-analyze”
rmpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Post some pictures and let us take a look! Someone will likely be able to tell you the make/model and year of your Airstream! You might also check and compare with the views on Vintage Airstream ~ click the link below and scroll down to the table that shows the years/and models... take a look:
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

On the side of the trailer or some where should be a little metal tag that has a serial number, etc. If you can find that post the information, usually folks can research that pretty quickly. If you don't find a little tag, sticker, or some other identification ~ you might look on the tongue of the trailer. In the 1960s... they scribed the serial number in the tongue on the top. One has to look carefully to see it, if the tongue has been painted it often is hard to see. However, I don't know if they did that for the 1959's or not, as we have a 1955 and the number does not appear on the tongue.

You should restore or at least refurbish your trailer and go camping! They are great!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome. By all means, post the serial number. It should start with a 28 if yours is truely an Ambassador. We'll get this figured out for you. What kind of shape is this trailer in? Post some pictures when you can. 59's are the absolute best, IMHO.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote