Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #1

1963 28' Ambassador
Richardson , Texas
Hello, new guy with a '63 ambassador

Hello all,

I just agreed to purchase a '63 ambassador, but haven't dragged it home just yet. It's a project, but from what I can tell it is in fairly good shape. After a long run of restoring cars I've decided to get something the family can enjoy.

I plan on restoring it eventually and changing the interior back to original. Most of all the cabnetwork is there, but the goucho thing at the fron has been removed.

I have quite a few questions about it and I'm really starting from scratch.

first question: there's an air valve on the "street side (?, opposite from door) behind a little access panel.. what is that for? does this have some sort of air suspension?

Second question: what does this thing weigh?
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hello George welcome to the forums. there are plenty of members in Texas so you will be in good company. Good luck with your restoration.
Some members have replaced the front Goucho with a built in dinnette.
There has been a rash of airtsream thefts in Texas recently so take as many precautions as you can to secure your trailer.
I`m not familiar with 63`s but some early models had pressureized water tanks so that may be what the air valve is for. Original equipment did not have air suspension but it may have been added later.
Airstream lists the weight as 4190 lbs. Usually though the trailers weigh a few hundred pounds more than factory specs.
If you have restored many cars then this should be no problem. Some common issues are axles, frame repairs and rotten floors. You will want to make sure the chassis and floor are sound before spending time and effort on cosmetics. Most of the appliances are obsolete are have no replacement parts available, just update them with new ones with better features. You will need to weatherproof the shell. Window,door and compartment door gaskets,roof vents,sewer vent pipe gaskets and the like should be replaced. The goal is to keep the outside there ( outside).
There are several sources to find parts and components unique to airstreams. Here are some links. I highly reccommend INLAND RV in California. Speak to Andy he can help with a lot of parts and tools needed for the tasks.
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Airstream, Inc :: Home
Airparts Inc. Homepage
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Hey George - welcome to AS & welcome to the forums. As you embark on your project you will find much help on these forums. I was amazed at the amount of info and help I found here. Please post lots of pics of your project. We all love to see progress on another vintage AS.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I plan on restoring it eventually and changing the interior back to original.
Why on earth would you want to do that?
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
The corporate Airstream website has scanned docs for all trailers, that's where I found this:

As you can see, these guys are LIGHT

I gutted our '66, and have most of the furniture
If you're interested PM, I've still got the gaucho and side bolsters

Take a pic of the valve...
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations on your purchase and it is great to see another 60s Ambassador. We have a 62 Ambassador and if your trailer has a pressurized water system, the air valve is so that you can pressurize the tank and have water in the event that your battery is dead. There should be an aluminum cap with a hose bib attached to hook up to a city water connection. (at least that is how ours is configured) On ours the shrader valve is next to the hose bib. Under your kitchen sink is where the water pump (grover compressor) would have been or hopefully it is still there. It is possible that your unit was converted to an on-demand system using a standard rv water pump. We are still using the pressurized system and it works very well.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Just a silly question, but can the air valve be the cable TV connector? Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
So you can use a standard bicycle pump to pressurize the fresh water tank, instead of using a 12v pump? Pretty neat idea. How many lbs. of pressure do you get it up to, and how long does that last? Enough for a shower? Has anybody here retro-fitted this idea into a newer AS?
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #9

1963 28' Ambassador
Richardson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Why on earth would you want to do that?
Maybe original is not the right word, but I need the second bed, so at least something like the orginal configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHall View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and it is great to see another 60s Ambassador. We have a 62 Ambassador and if your trailer has a pressurized water system, the air valve is so that you can pressurize the tank and have water in the event that your battery is dead. There should be an aluminum cap with a hose bib attached to hook up to a city water connection. (at least that is how ours is configured) On ours the shrader valve is next to the hose bib. Under your kitchen sink is where the water pump (grover compressor) would have been or hopefully it is still there. It is possible that your unit was converted to an on-demand system using a standard rv water pump. We are still using the pressurized system and it works very well.
This sounds like what I have. It looks factory and has a nice outside door with latches that match the rest. the schrader valve is on top of a crew on cap.. similar to a gas cap. I do also have the pump under the sink still.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
all the above sounds correct. My trailer has the same cap you describe, use that to fill your water tank with jerry jugs, there should also be a small copper pipe with a wing nut cap in the same compartment, unscrew that to bleed down the pressure and to stop gurgling when filling.
City water is hooked into the system in the rear streetside lower compartment with the power cord. When hooked to city water, it will automatically fill your tank.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Just a silly question, but can the air valve be the cable TV connector? Sal.
You mean for those early 1963 air-powered TVs?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hey, you DID say it was silly, right?

Seriously, cable TV was in its infancy in '63, so very unlikely...

Hey, don't hit me!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Hello George: All the best on your project.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Now I know why my TV exploded when I hooked up the air hose. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
George, congratulations and welcome to the Forum! You really will find pretty much everything you need to know about renovating and using vintage Airstreams on this Forum, it's a miraculous resource.

You're also lucky because there are several people who have documented restorations on 63s. Mine is a 63 Overlander, quite similar to yours aside from a couple extra feet at the front. If you're interested, you can check out the thread on the restoration of my Overlander linked down below in my sig, or my blog linked there as well. Another Forums user, Uwe, did a complete renovation on his 63 Overlander as well. You can find it here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ler-11687.html

Please keep us updated on your progress, and good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #15

1963 28' Ambassador
Richardson , Texas
Made it home 60 miles with only one incedent. Pretty good I'd say considering this trailer problably hasn't moved in 10-15 years. The tires are old, but were well protected and actually look really good. I still don't trust them though.

Half way back the belly pan decided to start removing itself at the front edge and worked quite a few of the rivets out. some duct tape got us the rest of the way home.I figure since it is halfway off now I'll take a look in there to see what needs to be done.

It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it'll do and well get busy fixing it up. The guy included a whole sway-reducing trailer hitch. these worth installing? the trailer seemed to pull just fine as-is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerforsale 002.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	117330  
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Made it home 60 miles with only one incedent. Pretty good I'd say considering this trailer problably hasn't moved in 10-15 years. The tires are old, but were well protected and actually look really good. I still don't trust them though.

Half way back the belly pan decided to start removing itself at the front edge and worked quite a few of the rivets out. some duct tape got us the rest of the way home.I figure since it is halfway off now I'll take a look in there to see what needs to be done.

It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it'll do and well get busy fixing it up. The guy included a whole sway-reducing trailer hitch. these worth installing? the trailer seemed to pull just fine as-is.
I would suspect that your Airstream is bottoming out when hitting bumps.

From your photo, it shows that part of the tops of the wheel, are hidden.

When the rubber rods, within the axle are ok, you should be able to see a couple of inches of the tires, "above the top of the wheels". If the rods are bad, they either solidify or collapse. In either case, bottoming out will occur, when towing.

There is an article in the Airstream Central portion of this web site, titled, "Dura torque axle," that will teach you how to check them out.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #17

1963 28' Ambassador
Richardson , Texas
Yeah, I suspect you are right about the axles. It is 54 years old and doesn't look like it has been updated much. I figured in the cost of axles into the purchase price. I know it is not good to drive on bottoming out axles, but I had no choice to get it home.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
George, glad its home safe and sound and ready for you to start taking care of her. Ours had a 12 hour drive home with a real bad axle, we feel your pain. You'll love the look when it doesn't have a droopy back end anymore. Look forward to seeing pictures of the rest of your new baby!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Yes, the equalizer hitch is worth installing. Airstreams pull very well but with the equalizer hitch installed they pull like a dream.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote