Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #15

1963 28' Ambassador
Richardson , Texas
Made it home 60 miles with only one incedent. Pretty good I'd say considering this trailer problably hasn't moved in 10-15 years. The tires are old, but were well protected and actually look really good. I still don't trust them though.

Half way back the belly pan decided to start removing itself at the front edge and worked quite a few of the rivets out. some duct tape got us the rest of the way home.I figure since it is halfway off now I'll take a look in there to see what needs to be done.

It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it'll do and well get busy fixing it up. The guy included a whole sway-reducing trailer hitch. these worth installing? the trailer seemed to pull just fine as-is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerforsale 002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	117330  

Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Made it home 60 miles with only one incedent. Pretty good I'd say considering this trailer problably hasn't moved in 10-15 years. The tires are old, but were well protected and actually look really good. I still don't trust them though.

Half way back the belly pan decided to start removing itself at the front edge and worked quite a few of the rivets out. some duct tape got us the rest of the way home.I figure since it is halfway off now I'll take a look in there to see what needs to be done.

It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it'll do and well get busy fixing it up. The guy included a whole sway-reducing trailer hitch. these worth installing? the trailer seemed to pull just fine as-is.
I would suspect that your Airstream is bottoming out when hitting bumps.

From your photo, it shows that part of the tops of the wheel, are hidden.

When the rubber rods, within the axle are ok, you should be able to see a couple of inches of the tires, "above the top of the wheels". If the rods are bad, they either solidify or collapse. In either case, bottoming out will occur, when towing.

There is an article in the Airstream Central portion of this web site, titled, "Dura torque axle," that will teach you how to check them out.

Andy

Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #17

1963 28' Ambassador
Richardson , Texas
Yeah, I suspect you are right about the axles. It is 54 years old and doesn't look like it has been updated much. I figured in the cost of axles into the purchase price. I know it is not good to drive on bottoming out axles, but I had no choice to get it home.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
George, glad its home safe and sound and ready for you to start taking care of her. Ours had a 12 hour drive home with a real bad axle, we feel your pain. You'll love the look when it doesn't have a droopy back end anymore. Look forward to seeing pictures of the rest of your new baby!
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Yes, the equalizer hitch is worth installing. Airstreams pull very well but with the equalizer hitch installed they pull like a dream.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote