Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Hello - new 64 Ambassador

I'm new to this site, new to owning a 28' Ambassador, new to having the neighbors looking at me with the multiple expressions of curiosity, disdain, and amusement on their faces. I'm hoping to become their sole supplier of Shadenfreude during the months of restoration. I design custom homes for a living. I'm challenged by the aluminum capsule to design a comfortable environment with modern technology (where possible) and an interior motif that remains true to the era.

Where to start? I'm just learning about the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing parts of the Airstream and hope to gut and catalog all the interior parts prior to viewing the structural elements. The trailer sat in a field in Oklahoma as a condo for the local mouse population. All electrical wiring became relocated nesting material (I'm assuming). Anyway, I hauled it from Alberquerque to Phoenix without the benefit of trailer brakes or stabilizer bar...I know, I know, I can't tell you how many times I thank the Lord for my deliverance down from the Mogollon Rim. Never will I do anything that naively stupid again! If I had a dollar for every 18 wheeler that tried to vortex me off I-40, I could actually afford to have someone restore the thing for me.

Looking forward to all your help in the coming months and anticipate making some new friends.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on that coach! You will probally find just about any question you may have has already been addressed at length in the forums. Use the search feature and use it often is my advise. Good luck!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Thanks Gen. See? I met a new friend and learned about the search tab. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here, but there are so many little details that make it almost overwhelming. I sit in the trailer and wonder what to do first. I replaced the old wheel rims with non-split ring variety, thus losing the option of the hubcaps unless I modify the original caps with an expansion ring. I want to relocate the toilet into a closet and modify the sleeping area to accomodate a small office arrangement. Too many thoughts, too little space.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello and welcome. We are gllad to hear you are safely down from the Rim and home with your new addiction! When you start your "search," be prepared for several days, er weeks, well. . .maybe months of reading! Good stuff in the Forums archives. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ambie,
Welcome to the forum, it is always nice to see another member in the valley. When I bought my trailer last year, I hauled it from around Farmington, NM to Phoenix and I had brakes . I was going south on I-17 near sunset point when the storm hit. I bailed into the rest area for about 2 hours, sat in the trailer and waited it out. No way was I going down the hill at Black Canyon City with rain and high winds on my first trip.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64
I'm hoping to become their sole supplier of Shadenfreude during the months of restoration.
That's the word!! I'm tired of hearing "boy I'm glad it's you and not me doing all that work" when I excitedly tell my neighbors (when they come over and ask) what I've done.

Good luck and have fun with the trailer. It's been worth it for me just to have mine and we have not been able to get it out on the road one time since we got it into our driveway.

Picture nag! Picture nag! We want pictures!!

Do you have any information on the condition of the frame, floor and shell? That's always a good place to start looking, just like a house, the structural stuff is the most important. Are you going to gut it and start over?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Thanks MaxandGeorgia, Azflycaster, and pinkflamingos. Today we started gutting the capsule. The only thing missing is the cooktop. I pulled the fridge out and tried to get it going, but to no avail. It's amazing how these trailers were built. Screws everywhere! Mrs Ambie took up all the linoleum tiles and cleaned the floorboards...no rot (yet). We started from the front and are working our way to the toilet. Fast running out of room in the garage for cabinets. And I've been wallowing in mouse poop most of the day. At least we've finally gotten off our duffs and launched into deconstruction. I figure two more weekends and we've got a shell to rebuild.
Mrs Ambie has named it the Silver Tuna. Works for me, but I reserve the right to call it several other names during the restoration. We're on our way, pray for our sanity.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Our neighbors looked kinda funny at us to. We had a popup for a couple of years and sold it and the next weekend we came in with this massive 31 footer to take the place of the popup. Well to get it in our driveway we went a few feet into the neighbors sodded yard oops so when he got home we went over and explained and told him we would fix any damage it may have done he was okay with it but acted a little ticked. Now he comes over and offers to help with anything we may need. So we have decided when we get finished we are going to put the awning out set some chairs around and have a neighborhood get together.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
"We're on our way, pray for our sanity."

Chances are if you are sane, you'll never finish...welcome to the madhouse.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ambie -
Welcome to the forums and the wonderful and eventful world of vintage Airstream ownership. Another Phoenix member is great. Glad you made it from Alb. and are getting into it. Let us know how its progressing and yes, we want to see pictures.

What part of the Valley are you located in?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Exclamation

Ambie '64,

Welcome, Good Luck & have Fun with the project.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote