Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Hello - new 31' Land Yacht owner

Just wanted to say Hi and Thank You. The site members helped me in my Airstream purchase. I purchased 1979 31' Airstream International Sovereign Land Yacht . I picked it up on Friday and my wife spend many hours cleaning it this weekend. The kids are very excited about the camper. I think it's all original and all appliances were working during the purchase demos.

Here are some questions:
  1. The camper needs 4 new tires. What do you guys recommend? How do I take off the wheels on this monster?
  2. The antenna has a drip down the crank. Also it doesn't go up and down. The drip is very minimal during the rain. I'm not worried about the antenna but I'd like to fix the drip. Any thoughts how to tackle this issue?
  3. When towing it home, I noticed the trailer is bouncy on our bad highway. Is this normal? How fast do you all drive when pulling your rigs?
  4. The camper sat unused for few years. What do you recommend that I should inspect and check before hitting the camp sites?
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff View Post
Just wanted to say Hi and Thank You. The site members helped me in my Airstream purchase. I purchased 1979 31' Airstream International Sovereign Land Yacht . I picked it up on Friday and my wife spend many hours cleaning it this weekend. The kids are very excited about the camper. I think it's all original and all appliances were working during the purchase demos.

Here are some questions:
  1. The camper needs 4 new tires. What do you guys recommend? How do I take off the wheels on this monster?
  2. The antenna has a drip down the crank. Also it doesn't go up and down. The drip is very minimal during the rain. I'm not worried about the antenna but I'd like to fix the drip. Any thoughts how to tackle this issue?
  3. When towing it home, I noticed the trailer is bouncy on our bad highway. Is this normal? How fast do you all drive when pulling your rigs?
  4. The camper sat unused for few years. What do you recommend that I should inspect and check before hitting the camp sites?
Welcome to Airstreaming.

There is an article in airstream central that will answer your axle questions. Usually a bouncy Airstream has a lack of proper running gear balance and/or bad axles.

Check all the exterior gaskets, even the sewe vent pipe cover gaskets. If they have never been replaced, they are probably all bad. They are not a big deal to replace. Waterproofing the trailer is usually the first thing to attack.

Does your Airstream have electric or disc brakes?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
#1As far as tires,there is no concensus on what is best.#2 The antenna on mine was leaking when I bought it,I sawed it off and patched with a piece of aluminum.#3 Bouncy is normal with a worn out a set of worn out axles and shocks.If I`m on good road I`m about 8 mph over the speed limit.Seems like I never have enough time to get away,maybe when I can retire I can take the leisure way.#4 Check axles, jack up between axles,back wheel bearings,with new seals,check brakes while you are there. Look axle swing arms,if they are tilted down you are OK,if level or in an upward position then the axles are shot.Make sure brakes actually work before taking off.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Welcome,

Post a picture of your Trailer, a close up of the tires and these guys will be able to tell you better if you need new axles or not. We just purchased new tires, as stated a lot of talk on this topic, We went with Maxxis ST/225/75R-15/D1 M8008-ST Radial BS.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina

Hi and welcome to the forums. We have a 74 SOTR and have just about completed restoring and repairing the frame. check out the thread the "fulltiming adventure begins", as there are a lot of pictures and information that might help. They are different years, but some info might help.

Marie

The fulltiming adventure begins