Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Hello, I'm new here ...

Hello everyone,
I am the new owner of a 94' Sovereign and new to trailering. I have trailered some things before, but mostly boats, and dump trailers. I'm not intimidated by trailering my AS, but I have a healthy respect for what could go wrong, so I am really grateful for this site and it's members.
I'm really looking forward to taking my family out in my AS, but i'm really not sure where to take them. So, I'm digging into that on an almost daily basis. I've sort of deducted that NF, BLM and some state parks are probably more my speed, but i'll just have to go and find out!!
It sounds like lots of people leave the AS and go into town with the TV, is it common to have people break into you AS? Should I leave paranoid? SHould I take the AS with me at all times?
I did buy one of those Wheel Chock locks, and I do have a pad-lock n the receiver, is that enough? If someone did steal my AS, is that it, it's just gone? Or, could they never register it? My neighbor told me that they are stolen regularly. Enough about that!
It sound like it's possible to take a Weber baby Q (that's a BBQ) and use an attachment hose to hook it up to your front LPG tanks, is that true? Sure would beat having all those little canisters!
Those are all the question that I have for tonight, but i'm sure i'll have more.
I look forward to having some real (safe) fun this summer in our AS, and thanks in advance for being here and helping a newbie out. Maybe if this goes well, I can help a newbie out on here someday.

Thanks,
Frank.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy, that we have used extensively (1,015 nights/90,000 miles). We have camped in virtually all venues, campgrounds, parks, etc. We leave Lucy at a campsite, and go off for the day on a regular basis. We have never had a problem. Not to say that it can't happen, but if you take the trailer everywhere y6ou go, it would make Airstream travel a drudgery, instead of a joy.

We take all due precautions, but don't let fear overcome our Airstreaming.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome and congratulations on your new to you Airstream! Buy a receiver lock like this
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Lock...pler_Lock.aspx
But don't spend all your time worrying about theft, the campground will be the safest place for you trailer and when someone steals a Airstream it is mostly stolen from a storage lot or home. It does happen but if you lock it up and have it in a secure place it is less likely to be stolen. Also make sure you have good insurance just in case it does, I have a newer unit but for older models find insurance with agreed value, I use Blue Sky insurance and they were more than great when I had hail damage and didn't hesitate to write a pretty big check! As for the LP there are kits you can buy for your LP but I just use the little tanks. Have fun and post some pictures of your new rig.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome!

I won't stay in a campground I don't feel safe in.

I've never had anything stolen in a campground in years of camping. I haven't camped in my Airstream yet, so maybe they're targets. I doubt it. The Airstream owners at Airstream Park in Minnesota leave their trailers on the lots all summer and in the off season, more than a few leave them on a storage lot all winter.

I have my trailer insured. If it's stolen, I cash the check, have a party, and look for another project.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome from a fellow Washingtonian. This is a great place to find answers to your questions.

We prefer using state and national campgrounds over private campgrounds when we get away. There are BLM and DNR lands where you can camp for free but these are somewhat remote and occasionally difficult to get to. With my larger trailer I can't get to places I once used.

I would not be concerned about people breaking into your trailer when you are gone. If you are in a popular campground, it should not be an issue. I really wouldn't worry about someone taking your whole trailer ether. Buy insurance and a good tongue lock and rest easy.

I am not sure about the propane question. I carry a number of those "little canisters" to run my Weber and it has never been an issue for me. I think carrying the extra hose and connecting it would cause more trouble. I also don't want to carry a portable tank and I really don't want to be limited to where I can put the BBQ as I would be with the hose from the mounted tanks. I guess it is all how you look at it.

Again, welcome to the forum. Don't hesitate to ask for advice. Advice and opinions are what we are famous for.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Frank,
Welcome. We really like going to the state parks in Washington. The web site is informative and we have never had any big surprises. Many parks have full hookups which makes my Wife happy. I do hook my Weber babyQ to my propane tanks. I had a ten foot hose made so that I can have flexibility when setting up the bbq. It is a bit of a pain but I don't like throwing all those little canisters away if I don't have to. I was thinking about having a receptacle built in to the system at some point to make it easier.
Consider getting "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming". Very good information.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Howdy

We just took our first trip last weekend to Deception Pass state park near Anacortes. Great park, lots to do and see in the area. Stores nearby if you forget anything. Highly reccomend it. As for security, I basically did the same things you suggest (hitch lock and wheel chucks). If you have friendly conversations with your neighbors, there isnt enough seclusion that anyone's going to back up and take your rig. Always someone around.

Have fun. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Thanks everyone for you kind replies. Some days i'm glad I bought it and others I wonder why I did. I haven't even been on a trip yet. Right now though, the feeling is great and i'm excited to be a part of a forum that can help me with questions.
BTowntincan, I am just down the road in West Seattle. I have been to Deception park, but not as an AS owner, and it is awesome.
Question for you all, since my AS is just sitting at my folks driveway, should I have it pluigged in whenever possible? Is there a fay to tell if my tanks LPG, are full, or empty?
And lastly, the guy I bought the trailer from said that he doesn't drink water from the trailer, he says reserve that for showers, toilets, and stuff, but drink bottled water. Is that what you all do?
Thanks again.
Frank

Here are a couple of pics of my 1994 21' Sovereign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	156176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	156177  

Name:	Airstream 4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	156178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 6.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	156179  

Name:	Airstream .jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	156180  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I don't drink rv tank water.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Dave Matthews said...

...Dont drink the water. I disagree with him on this point only.

I'd sanitize the tank if you are worried. Get the manual on-line from Airstream.com. You put a tiny amount of the right bleach in the tank, run it thru the lines and let it sit a bit. Bingo.

To be fair, we use a brita filter pitcher first.

You should have the batteries checked to make sure they are good. I leave mine plugged in at my house, but switch from "Use" to "store" on the switch so they arent constantly being charged.

There is a way to tell if the propane is good. I dont know yet - I plan on taking both tanks in to get charged this weekend.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
AirSeattle - welcome! We're only a couple weeks ahead of you! Also located in Seattle with a 25' Eddie Bauer. Hope to see you on the road!
BC_seattle
Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
welcome to the whole new way of life and friends..

We flushed our holding tank with bleach a dozen times and would not be afraid to drink from it now.. It had slime,, and nasty smell when we first got it..

As for adapter kits to the AS bottles for gas they are around.. I use a adapter to refill the small bottles but always leave them outside for a few days to make sure the valves and such hold.. Much better to leak off outside than inside.. Been doing this for over 40 years.. Only had a few bad bottles that leaked.. I always save the plastic cap to keep the dust out and careful when switching to keep the valve seat clean..

For getting ripped off,, I don't think the odds are much more than having someone bust into your home.. We are careful and just don't camp or unhook in dark alleys.. Common sense and a gut feeling are more important than all the locks in the world.

Just kick back,, be careful and read,, read ,, read all you can off this site. We get off into debates once in awhile but mostly all good honest advice.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yes, we drink from our water tank. Sanitize it each spring and use a filter if you are concerned. Mine has a filter built in to the sink faucet and we use it for drinking water. Have never had a problem with the Airstream or the other trailers we used for 20 years before getting this one.

You should have a change over valve connecting your two propane tanks. Mine has a small glass bulb that shows green when the tank is full and turns red when it is empty. There is also a lever that you can manually change from pointing to one tank to pointing toward the other. Fill both tanks, connect them and slowly open both valves. The bulb will turn green and the propane will be drawn from the tank that the lever is pointing to. When this tank empties the change over valve will AUTOMATICALLY switch over and start drawing propane from the other tank. The bulb will turn red to let you know the primary tank is empty. At this point you can turn off the empty valve and remove that tank, have it refilled and return it and slowly open the valve. Manually switch the lever over to the other tank and you are good to go.

Best way to tell if there is any propane is to take both of them off and have them filled.

I would suggest that you have both your batteries and your converter checked before you plug in the coach for a long period of time. When I got mine the converter was not working properly and the PO actually ruined both batteries through over charging them as he left the thing plugged in 24/7.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
We have traveled throughout the country and only seen the occasional unruly camper (usually too much alcohol) and not heard of anybody having their trailer stolen from a campground; unattended, long term storage in a field is another matter. I figure this means being around people reduces crime. That does not mean it doesn't happen, only that a few precautions go a long way.

So I use a hitch lock, lock exterior compartments, pull the curtains closed, and put all outside gear in the trailer whenever we leave the campsite. Reducing temptations seems like common sense.

I read a statistic once that "RV crimes occur at the rate of 1 per 25,000 camping nights" which would make camping one of the safest family pastimes. The definition of Crimes included everything from stolen bikes, grills, etc., to assaults, to rig theft.

We prefer NP, NF, and BLM locations over private campgrounds due to more space per site and lovely settings. However, on really hot days an electrical connection for the AC overrules rustic with generator - per the wife.

If you keep your water tank and pipes clean and add an in-line filter, you can drink the water. We use bottled for morning coffee, ice cubes, & jugs of tea, otherwise our tank water is used for everything else but we always taste and smell the water before filling (which is limited to municipal sources).

Go enjoy, but act thoughtfully.