Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #1

Homestead , Florida
Hello, I'm Mike.

Hello, my user name is hushnel but my name is Mike. I am one of those people that love Airsteams but the closest I’ve ever gotten to owning one was an old Avion I managed to buy after hurricane Andrew, with the thought that I would restore it after the house was finished. Well that didn’t happen after rebuilding the house I was done, I couldn’t stand to see it rotting away in the back yard so I sold it. It was really too big and heavy for us.

Some day I will own one, really nothing else will do, though we do have an old 16’ Sunline built in ’85. I wouldn’t be too sorry if it was damaged in a hurricane, I’ll haul my boat to safety and leave it behind.

I know the Airstream is way above our ability to purchase but I keep my eyes open and some day I will find one. I believe in quality and American made, even though I know Harley Davidson gets a lot of stuff from offshore it’s still the bike I ride, my other loves are Fender and Martin Guitars, maybe if I didn’t have so many of these I could afford a new Airstream

Anyhow I’m here to learn the nuts and bolts of these campers. Maybe if that elusive camper presents itself I will have enough knowledge to asses it’s value and restorability.

This is the only online community I’m a member of that I don’t actually own the common item of discussion. Strange I guess but. I guess I’m a little like those guys that hang around with musicians that aren’t musicians, what do they call them again, oh yeah drummers
hushnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome Mike....hope you find the perfect trailer for you someday.

Let us know how we can help.

Steve
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hey Mike, Welcome!
This is a great time for you to get educated on the quirks of Airstreams, so when the time come to buy, you don't end up with someones "problem child".
Nice to have you here,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Hello Mike,
What are you looking for(vintage, almost vintage, new, new-used?)...There are a few of each out there, and there is an Airstream trailer park in Florida with lots of helpful people who might have sourcing...welcome to the finest addiction you'll ever know.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Now you've done it...

Welcome aboard...

We can tell, there's no hope for you now, you've been bitten, and

none of us here has found or wants a cure.

Check out our classifieds, ware a bib(drool,drool) to keep your shirt clean
Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #7

Homestead , Florida
Thanks Steve, I’m 5 years from having my 30 in with the county. At this point my number one goal is finding the location to retire to so I can get busy doing the stuff that I do. Probably stay in Florida if they let me, defiantly get the heck out of Miami area.

Thanks for the welcome Moosetags.

Hello Dave, yep that’s the idea, learn what it is I’m looking at. Figure out if there is enough room for my wife’s stuff and my guitars, by the way in the most general terms how many guitars are you allowed to carry, and this is my best guess, and that would be up to the “Boss”

Michael & Tracy, good question and I lean towards vintage but I’ve learned that sometimes it’s best to let “it” find you. If I limit my choices by choosing or deciding exactly what I want I could easily pass on “the” one. I’ll keep my focus on what we want to do with it and limit our choice by its ability to supply that need, if that makes any sense. We’re a few years away from getting into an Airstream unless we happen upon one that trips us up. The idea of having one in the back yard when the next storm rolls through terrifies me.

Well Robert, I need another passion like a hole in the head. The Airstream is like the Harley to me. I dreamed about owning one for years and years, then the passionate desire would fade away a bit as I became distracted by another path, it would however return with a more potent venom each time getting harder and harder to ignore. I think I’ve got a few years but you never really know when it’s going rear up and takes ya.

And like the Harley I never thought I would own one, now I’ve got two.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Yes, welcome Mike.
Your on the right road to your Airstream dream

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushnel
Hello, my user name is hushnel but my name is Mike.

Strange I guess but. I guess I’m a little like those guys that hang around with musicians that aren’t musicians, what do they call them again, oh yeah drummers
Hey... hold on there... I'm sitting balanced and drool out of both sides. I thought they called 'em banjo players (or bass players)?

Welcome to the forums! You'll own one soon enough...

So they used to call me speedo, but my real name is Mr. Earl...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Mike...welcome to the Forums...it's OK you don't have an Airstream (yet)...you have the spirit...that's what's important...your Airstream just hasn't found you yet...but it will!

Glad you could join in...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Hey... hold on there... I'm sitting balanced and drool out of both sides. I thought they called 'em banjo players (or bass players)?

Welcome to the forums! You'll own one soon enough...

So they used to call me speedo, but my real name is Mr. Earl...
I thought they were bagpipers.

Welcome too!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Welcome!

Don't be intimidated by the sticker shock of new units - there are some great buys on older and vintage units - and in my opinion - a price point for everyone. And besides, if all those aluminum walls could talk! Good luck and enjoy the ride.
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Welcome Mike, you will love the people here.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #14

Homestead , Florida
Quote:
I thought they called 'em banjo players (or bass players)?

Naw, God created the bass player so the music could have some soul, now the banjo just proves the benevolent creator has a sense of humor I just made this banjo uke and it rides very nicely in the saddle bags of the HD.

Sticker shock is the perfect word for the new Airstream experience but I’m thinking that it’s a case of “You get what you pay for” I swear some of the bread box campers I’ve seen, specifically the cheaper units just don’t look road worthy, let alone take them any distance off road. I’d be perfectly happy with 17' Caravel, 18/19’ Bambi, and the similar sized Safari, Globetrotter or Trade Wind there is so much to learn but I’m thinking 23” and smaller. Even some of the crazy tear drops are intriguing and would be cool for the quick weekend bike rally or overnight fishing trip.

We still do quite a bit of tent camping, mostly Historical Interpritation with the NMLRA,

There is a wealth of information here, I’ve got to spend some time looking around.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Hey Mike,

Glad you found this forum as we did.... We are also very new to this forum and actually just purchased a 1978 AS Sovereign from one of the classifieds here!

I hope we meet on the road someday and you have that airstream you so dream about.

If you do happen to obtain that airstream you are looking for come join us at our FIRST ever Rally in Gatlinburg Tennessee.

To see event: http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...=2008-8-12&c=1

Good luck and we hope to see you there...

PS to all those other Airstreamers:

Please spread the word about the Smokey Mountain Getaway AS RALLY... We need to book up the RV Resort otherwise other RV types will be there... and we dont want that!

Hope to see all of you there!
greg_n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ah, the aluminitus has struck again. Now you're infected and will never be cured. Who wants that anyway?

Glad you've joined our community and not owning an Airstream shouldn't keep you from learning all about them. There are a number of sources of used Airstreams and don't forget CraigsList. Do a search for your area and take the opportunity to look at in person. Walk through anyone you can find. You'll learn something new with everyone you look at.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote