Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
edmond , Oklahoma
Thank you so much for the suggestions!

After going over things said here I am leaning towards selling it here in Washington state (Mount Vernon).

Here are some interior pictures and the link to more:
Picasa Web Albums - mason - Airstream

What are the bids? Suggestions for a selling price?

PM Me!

Thanks Again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0419.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	82121   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0420.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	82122  

Name:	SSPX0421.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	82123   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0423.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	82124  

Name:	SSPX0424.jpg
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	82125   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0425.jpg
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	82126  

Name:	SSPX0426.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	82127  

mason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Married to Soldiermedic
San Antonio , Texas
if its not sold allready list it on the classified page here.

CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
You have a gem. You are getting married and your inlaws are giving you the airstream? Think of all the good times that went on with that airstream. My wife and I always talk about how her late father would have loved our airstream if he was still around. If you know how to fix things then keep it. You will have a life time of enjoyment and they are not that difficult to work with.

If you do not have the tools, then tow it to your dads and keep it until you get settled. I am not the mechanic and I fixed my old airstream up. I had it fixed up and started using it within 8 months of purchasing it. The first trip was on the old axels because I could not afford new.

I used cheap tools from harbor freight. They still work today.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
Polish to sell!

If you really want to just sell it, then your time would be best spent polishing it. Yes, it's a pain, but if you have a place to work and are willing to put in the effort, it would probably triple the value on an ebay auction. Here's a good account of how to do it:

For older Airstreams, the smaller ones are worth more than the big ones. Look around in the auction history on ebay and see what they have been going for. Take the trailer over to an RV service place and have them test the systems so you can give an accurate account of what works and what doesn't work. Don't be tempted by any "I'll take it off your hands for you" offers- a 1959 "18 footer" is the holy grail for a lot of Airstream collectors and wanna-be's. They sell for more on the West coast, so if you can do the work out there, you'll have a better audience when it's time to sell. We're all just drooling a little thinking about being handed one by the in-laws.

65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Keep it! You will most likely never get this chance again. The hardest parts of getting this little camper ready will be the floor, polishing it out and adding an AC without hurting the looks of the camper.
Looks like almost everything is there and the body looks straight. If you like the outdoors at all, you'll love this little camper.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
I too am drooling at the thought of being *given* this trailer. However, after buying mine, I am absolutely not in the market for another for years, decades, to come! One thing I've learned is, if you decide to fix it yourself with ANY inclination of selling in the future, then fix it right. Ask your questions here and follow the recommendations for correct repair. It will take a lot of time and probably a lot of cash to do it. But, trying to sell this gem with poor repairs will likely reduce the value. It's twice as hard to fix an improper repair job than fixing the original issue!!!

Good luck with your trailer and your wedding.

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
edmond , Oklahoma
I still plan on making it as marketable as possible and sell while I am here. I would just like to know how much I should ask for it.

What is a good asking price after I clean it up a little?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Going to be tough for anyone to give you a price, because we all want
Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Originally Posted by mason71 View Post
Hello, my name is Mason, I am 23 years old and I have have just been given a 1959 Airstream trailer from my future in laws. They have told me I can do whatever I want with it. If I sell it they wanted it to help with costs of getting married (ring, wedding, honeymoon...) I enjoy working on cars and most anything mechanical. I helped my dad restore his '72 Corvette growing up. I drove and maintained a '72 Chevelle, and restored a couple older enduro motorcycles. So I am not afraid to restore this beauty to sell it. Only problem is my dads nice huge shop and all the tools are back in Oklahoma while I am currently in Washington with the camper. Decision I have to make is: Work on it here in Washington with few tools, try to sell it
or Take it back home to Oklahoma and finish it completely. That is if I can, pulling it with my girlfriends 2000 Nissan Exterra v6. So with that said I have three questions:
What model is this camper (number on tag 18D-0144159)?
Will it be hard on the exterra to pull this back to Oklahoma?
What is this worth as-is and completely restored?
Thank you for any help!!
I like many others would tell you to not be in a hurry to make a decision. You have a diamond in the rough. With you planning on getting married this could be a godsend as far as a place to stay and camp to save money, but again you wife to be would have to on board with this.
If you restore this trailer and take your time keep as much of it as possible original with the exception of things such as electrical, plumbing, heat, AC, these are things that are dangerous and should be updated. Then over a few years you could very well get your money back but that is based on a ever changing wants. You will have a time when no one is interested then there will be times you cant stop people wanting to buy it and somewhere in all that you will find 1 person that will give you what you have tied up in materials maybe enough to cover some of your labor, but then again may never get your money out of it unless you keep it for several years and have enjoyed using it.
If money is tight, dump it to someone who will apreciate it, I am sure you will find many on here.
As far as where you are or send it home, if you cant work on it there and towing is an issue then load it on a semi flatbed or someone that has a 1 ton and a flatbed and take/send it to your dads. You will be over taxing that V-6 & tranny, to tow it.

SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by mason71 View Post
What is a good asking price after I clean it up a little?
To establish a price, use this Prices vs Condition guideline...most savvy buyers will. Read through the descriptions and supporting back-up information on the website to assess the true value.

Your VIN number indicates it's a '59 Traveler

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
edmond , Oklahoma
Cleaned up and for sale!

Thank you for the help everyone!

Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - Airstream 1959 '18 Traveler - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

How do you edit an Ad?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Mason, Thanks for the heads up. The trailer should sell fast. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
edmond , Oklahoma
Sold it yesterday for asking price!

thanks for all the help!

On of the best online communities online for sure!!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Keep it Keep it Keep it! If you sell it, one day you'll see another airstream going down the road and you will regret it. Airstreams are a blessed gift from the universe Keep it!

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote