Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Arlington Heights , Illinois
Hello! I have many questions.

Hello, I'm Tom from the Chicago area. My wife and I are empty nesters that love traveling and who can work from home/road. We live in the Chicago area but for the life of us we can't figure out why. We are looking to sell our house and buy an airstream. We previously had a pop top camper on our Jeep. We have probably logged 60K miles traveling and camping. So we know tight spaces and long drives.
We are looking at a couple of models of airstreams and would like to get some opinions/answers to some questions that we just can't figure out on our own.

1. in the 2019 Classics, there are "Magic Suede Window Valances". They seem to make things feel much smaller. Why do I want these and can I remove them for a cleaner look?

2. In the Classic, TB and Globetrotter, the floor is textured. If I spill tomato sauce on it, and I will, how do I clean that?

3. In a 27' bathroom, has anyone removed the curved section under the sink, so you can sit without your knees being together. This is probably the reason I won't buy a 27TB.

4. Has anyone removed cabinets in a newer Airstream to make it feel more open? The 33' Classic has a lot of storage but the middle section doesn't seem to have the openness of the other layouts. I would love to remove the valences and the upper cabinets above the desk to open it up significantly. I know it's a new trailer and it would hurt re-sale.

5. Is the Alde system a big advantage of the classics? Quiet, heated floor in the shower, sounds nice but do you really notice it?

Thanks in advance for any advice, answers and opinions.

Tom

ExploringAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Welcome and good luck in your search. I own an older trailer so I can't comment on your questions but I'm sure some will.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hello Tom and welcome. I canít answer all your questions but here are attempts at two of them:

2) love your confidence in the surety of a tomato sauce spill - we have friends who have a new Globetrotter - they travel full time with their dog. They claim the floor cleans up very well. Not my personal experience, but theyíre trustworthy folks. Itís also a gorgeous trailer!

3) I have a 27FB and know the curve youíre talking about. My wife and I (and our pooch) are the only campers so frankly (and TMI probably) having the bowl angled slightly at the door and just leaving the door open resolves the potential knee-knock problem. If youíre not interested after that description, I donít blame you - but no problem for us

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploringAir View Post
2. In the Classic, TB and Globetrotter, the floor is textured. If I spill tomato sauce on it, and I will, how do I clean that?

3. In a 27' bathroom, has anyone removed the curved section under the sink, so you can sit without your knees being together. This is probably the reason I won't buy a 27TB.
We travel full-time in a 2019 27í Globetrotter FBQ so I can only answer your questions about the flooring and lavatory.

The flooring in the GT is easy to clean. In fact, I have splattered tomato on the floor and it wipes up without staining. Easy to sweep, vacuum, and mop. Even when my husband tracks in goo on his shoe.

As far as the toilet goes, for our needs, there is enough room. Space is tight, but adequate. The hot water heater lives under the sink cabinet. We did remove the Dometic toilet to install a NH composting toilet which has slightly larger footprint, and still there is enough room. We placed the NH slightly angled toward the door opening for more leg room.

Happy Airstream shopping! Jump in the water, I bet youíll enjoy traveling in aluminum luxury.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome - hope you soon have a shiny with which to chase smiles.

Mods - Ultimate Airstream in Oregon can build about any mods you have $$$s to dream up. There is one other authorized upfitter and quite a numberf of good independent shops who can do same.

A bifold door can expand the toilet of the 27. That trailer is a nice size for all uses.

Understand that an AS is not a four season trailer. Do your research before you buy. A much better outcome will result if you do.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Open feeling

I suggest you spend some time in a Flying Cloud 30' rear bed twin or better yet a International Serenity 30' rear bed twin. No fancy window treatments to make coach feel smaller. Just very nice pull down "Ocean Air" shades. The twin bed arrangement makes for lots of open space in back of coach and provides tons of inside and outside storage. Large bathroom with lots of room in front of commode. The International serenity is a very light colored interior which feels even more open than the Flying Cloud. Much les expensive than the new Classics. Fewer complicated systems to go bad or have problems with. (avoid power awning if at all possible) Sleeker, cleaner design inside that does not have the heavy dark Grandmothers kitchen feeling. Welcome to the Airstream world. Whatever you purchase spend several hours in it before dropping big $$$$$$.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploringAir View Post
Hello, I'm Tom from the Chicago area. My wife and I are empty nesters that love traveling and who can work from home/road. We live in the Chicago area but for the life of us we can't figure out why. We are looking to sell our house and buy an airstream. We previously had a pop top camper on our Jeep. We have probably logged 60K miles traveling and camping. So we know tight spaces and long drives.
We are looking at a couple of models of airstreams and would like to get some opinions/answers to some questions that we just can't figure out on our own.

1. in the 2019 Classics, there are "Magic Suede Window Valances". They seem to make things feel much smaller. Why do I want these and can I remove them for a cleaner look?

4. Has anyone removed cabinets in a newer Airstream to make it feel more open? The 33' Classic has a lot of storage but the middle section doesn't seem to have the openness of the other layouts. I would love to remove the valences and the upper cabinets above the desk to open it up significantly. I know it's a new trailer and it would hurt re-sale.

5. Is the Alde system a big advantage of the classics? Quiet, heated floor in the shower, sounds nice but do you really notice it?

Thanks in advance for any advice, answers and opinions.

Tom
1. The valences do not make the "feel" of the trailer smaller. What they do is control the two way blinds and offer a lot of insulation to keep the trailer cool or warm.

2. The floor in the classic is quite remarkable! It is used in marine environments. Dysan stick vacuum works very well on it. Nothing with stain it. It is the best floor Airstream has ever put down. Scrub it with soap and water and a scrub brush. Liquids do not sink into the material.

3. I had to leave the door open to be comfortable in our 2017 international 27'.

4. Just remember to look in the trailer you choose as many electronic and heating systems are sometimes inside cabinets and under dinette chairs. They would be difficult to reroute. If you remove a few cabinets, please don't complain later that you have no storage. Storage is a premium in an Airstream.

5. The Adle system is the best of the best heating for a trailer. Forget the heated shower floor,(doesn't really work) but the quietness of operation and consistent even heat throughout the trailer is well worth the price of admission. It's only available on the Classics. It is the feature I admire the most in my trailer.

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
A basic thing to know about AS trailers are that they are fun but expensive. Even if you buy used, you will want to spend money customizing it into your dream machine.

Don't settle for something you don't like, because if you're spending that much money, why not get what you really want.

The idea of the valences is that they allow less light to peak out from the sides, and theoretically, at least, offer a slightly better degree of thermal barrier than the regular window treatments, but I do agree they are bulky, add weight, take up space and are ugly, IMHO.

The AS classic line is usually the top of the line in all the AS models. It is the heaviest because it uses lots of solid wood, heavy countertops and tons of bells and whistles, which apparently, break down frequently and are the source of frustration for some.

The International/Globetrotter/and special branded (Tony B, Eddie B, etc) lines are one step down, usually feature a more modern, sleek contemporary design.

The Flying Cloud (or "Safari," in earlier model years) is the next one down the line, but does offer the greatest number of different floor plans.

The Sport is the "economy" end of the model line.

All of them share the same exact "bones" (frames, shells, etc.) It is only in the interior appointments and features that they differ.

Hope this helps...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
We are new to the Airstream campers, spent 6 months looking for the correct one, I knew that I wanted a used Classic. Found the model that suit us, a 2005 with twin beds, great floor space. No dinette, this gives more storage and a larger kitchen; living space.
We looked at new models too, but once we saw this layout it was love at first sight.
KYShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #10

Arlington Heights , Illinois
Thanks for the Info!

Al and Missy. Thanks for the warm welcome!
SteveSueMac, Thanks for not being too descriptive. LOL. Yeah we felt the open door was the only way we could really make it work. Most of the time that probably isnít an issue, but when entertaining that might be hard to explain.

SewStream, I love the Globetrotters. They seem very classy. Sorry to hear you have the same tomato spilling gene that I do. Good to know the floor cleans up very well.

PKI, the bifold door is a great idea! I know the smaller TB had something similar, but I didnít think about it for the 27.

Uraljohn, We love the 30í Serenity, it is probably my number one choice. There are so many options on the classic that I like, that I wish I could fix some of the things we donít like, to make the classic more like the Serenity. I wish I could have the serenity layout and windows with the Classicís wood, bedroom and ALDE system.

Turk123, Thank you for all of your answers. Very helpful. Sounds like you love your Classic.

Skyguyscott, Thank you for all the info I definitely donít want to settle. I want to get the closest thing and then customize it to be what we want.

KYShelby, We havenít really looked at used. I know it makes a lot of sense, I will start looking at them too.

Thanks everyone! What a great community.

Tom
ExploringAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Something to consider... maybe you want a custom Airstream? If you can find the right outfitter, for the same price as something new (possibly less) your trailer won't suffer from many of the "production line" woes that many new owners suffer (cabinets pulling away from the wall, leaks, mirrors falling off, etc). Also, the layout can be exactly what you want. And contrary to some previous comments, with proper layout and insulation, your Airstream *can* be 4 season. The downside can be the timeframe, but if you're not in an incredible hurry, it's definitely something to consider!

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote