Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Hello from Turks and Caicos Islands

Wife and I moved from the USA to the Turks and Caicos Islands six years ago and built a home here. Now we are planning to buy an Airstream International 27FB and use it to tour the western USA during hurricane seasons. We plan to buy the trailer as soon as we figure out which one to buy. We have definitely settled on the 27FB, though.

Right now I am trying to figure out if a rented Expedition ( Budget?) would be good enough to tow the trailer from Syracuse to Dallas. Does anyone know if Budget's SUVs come with hitches?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you can find anything to rent anywhere, it's going to need a brake controller for a 27'. Perhaps one of the pickup trucks with a built in brake controller, but good luck finding any rental company that knows what one is.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Renting a tow vehicle may be problematic. Every auto rental company that I have checked out prohibits towing anything with their vehicles. If you tow, it may negate all of their insurance coverage. You need to start checking for a tow vehicle now.

You might have to consider buying a used tow vehicle and working out an arrangement with a dealer to buy it back when you store the Airstream.

Good luck in your quest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
U haul trucks allow you to tow a trailer.
When you find your tow vehicle post your solution, many inquiring minds would like to know.
Good Luck
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hi Turks and Caicos folks: I've cruised those islands as a boat captain, very nice and a good idea to leave during the "windy season".
I just bought a 25' Safari and I would advise that rental company employees are not familiar with renting a "proper" tow vehicle. I don't have one so I went the same route as you and finally decided to hire a real tow truck company to tow mine home (when it's out of the shop...someday). These trailers are quite heavy (see quality) and require a good TV and load levelers connection between the TV and the trailer AND and break controler. This is quite important or things may get stress full on a long haul.
I'm just on the steep learning curve as you are....so hang in there.
With an Airstream you can't go wrong. They hold value and are seriously cool.
Del
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Del is right- "seriously cool"- we have only slept in our HOUSE once since we brought ours home almost a month ago(Our friends think we are crazy) we lived on our 30' Cowhorn Schooner for years in the Caribbean and the AS feels like home again. Good luck on the new venture!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
hi y'all, and thanks for all the welcomes. I am finding the same bad news about the tow vehicle. I have checked with Enterprise, Budget, Alamo,etc. and am finding the same thing. They will rent you a large pickup truck, but their policy is "no towing". And of course their inventory is not equipped for towing at all.

I spent years in the oceanographic business, and rented many a Ryder and U-Haul to get equipment from New England or California to some other coastal area to mobilize a boat, and I have to say I am not too enthusiastic about the idea of relying on a Ryder or UHaul truck. Besides, their tow hitches are really geared to pull a little UHaul rental trailer, for that stuff you can't cram in the truck when moving.

I hesitate to buy a truck, even a used one, that will sit for probably 9 months a year. But that might be the way I have to go. My father in Texas has a nice F-250 Ford set up to haul his 24 ft. travel trailer ( I think it's a Kodiak) and he wants to trade-in his F-250 extended cab for something smaller like a F-150.

Would a F-250 be enough to pull the 27FB?

I am surprised any of y'all ever heard of the Turks and Caicos, but if you were seagoing folks then it makes sense. I was in the offshore, underwater high-tech acoustics business for almost 40 years. I spent my life on the ocean, and now I want to explore the inside of North America. Our ideal setup is to use our home here as a base, and spend summers in the Airstream, and winters on a small crusing catamaran.

If you like tropical photos, etc. there are thousands on the blog.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
That F250 will be more than adequate.
I think your islands are beautiful. I passed by a few years ago when sailing from Trinidad back to the states.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My knowledge of Turks and Caicos isn't so exotic and adventuresome. I have watched several episodes of HGTV's "House Hunters International" that featured your island while spinning on my elliptical. It looks like a relaxing place to have a second home.

Welcome to the forum.
You will enjoy your 27'FB. We had a 28' CCD which is basically the same length as the 27'FB and loved the size. We plan to move to your floor plan when we are ready to hit the road for long trips again or full-time. There is more space around the bed in the 27' vs. the 28' and we like the pantry. Though, if enough years go by we may get one of the new 30' CCDs.

I would go for the truck. We towed ours with a GMC 2500. With a truck bed you can store a generator which is handy when you need A/C at a rest stop or non-hookup camp grounds. For our big out west trip we had the generator, 4 bikes, a couple of coolers, leveling boards and a couple rubbermaid containers in the bed. The coolers were used as waterproof containers while on the road and were put in use for food in the campgrounds known for bears. We are a family of four.

For our bikes in a truck we prefer the Yakima BedHeads. We are avid cyclists and most of our trips are bike related. Races, charity rides and just going someplace to ride an epic route. If you go with the BedHeads, skip the locking ones. They cost a lot more and are no more secure than the regular version. We use a cable and lock.

Enjoy your trip out west. We may do one too in our Westy to visit my family in Washington. A northern route this time. Maybe we will run into each other. Airstreamers stand out and are usually keen on meeting other AS owners.

A fun way to get familiar with life with an Airstream is to visit this site:
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips, and information for Airstream / RV travelers.
My favorite bit of information is their philosophy on why women outlive men.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I know all about the DC-4 in the lagoon. The 70's and 80's were very interesting in the Caicos.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
one of those

2011 27 FB International
DC4? I know where there is what looks like a twin Beech on the Banks....a friend says it's been there since the 70s. Great spot for lobster. and unfortunately, Lionfish.

I have found out more about my father's truck. It's a 2003 Ford F250 Super Duty, four wheel drive, with a Supercab and the big V10 motor. he takes meticulous care of his vehicles. Its set up to tow. I suspect it's the top of the line model.

I bet those are a pig on gasoline, but where I live it's never been below $ 4 a gallon and our fishing boat gets about 2 mpg trolling, so it's not going to be a huge shock.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Been 15 years or so since I've flown in and out of there, but I remember a Navajo in the water on short final to Provo and a C-46 sitting in the water on final for South Caicos.

Like Robin said, those airports were really busy in the 70's and 80's. I heard you could get fuel 24 hours a day.

Beautiful water, but the Airstream will be much better during hurricane season.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I think I know where the Piper is, then. I have photos of what's left of a small single engine right by the flight path for a short final onto Provo. If you wade thru the other photos til you get to the bright translucent photos there is a photo of that one here, I bet:

2 Gringos in the Caribbean: February 2009

We haven't been to South Caicos yet.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
<---- Wife.... just sayin' hello!
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
U haul trucks allow you to tow a trailer.
When you find your tow vehicle post your solution, many inquiring minds would like to know.
Good Luck
Well, we rented a 2011 Ford F 350 Superduty with the new 6.2 PowerStroke, Crew cab. With electric brake control and beaucoup power to spare.

We pulled 'Silver Lining' from Houston up to Dallas, where it is happily sitting inside a secure, air conditioned building until we decide where to take it next.

In the meantime, we aregetting a set of custom linens made for it by Peacock Alley in Dallas. Have you guys ever tried their sheets? On top of a two inch memory foam insert on that queen sized bed in the 27? Oh man....dis ain't camping anymore, Toto....
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
La Gringa, Welcome to the fourms.
Hi Gringo.

Looks like things have worked out well for the two of youl Great looking trailer! I know you are excited.

Ya'll (yes I'm from the south) are a little early for getting away during the hurricane season. Are you going to be on the mainland all summer, and fall too?

We just put on a 2" memory foam topper this past winter. DW got some silky sheets. Oh wow, it really does make a lot of differnce.

Have fun on your travels!

Alan

ps: I'm sure everyone wants to know how/where you were able to rent this truck.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #17
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hey Gringo and La Gringa,
Congrats on the fine Stream! I hope to see y'all on the road sometime soon. Like the blog. Great pictures!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
La Gringa, Welcome to the fourms.
Hi Gringo.

Looks like things have worked out well for the two of youl Great looking trailer! I know you are excited.

Ya'll (yes I'm from the south) are a little early for getting away during the hurricane season. Are you going to be on the mainland all summer, and fall too?

We just put on a 2" memory foam topper this past winter. DW got some silky sheets. Oh wow, it really does make a lot of differnce.

Have fun on your travels!

Alan

ps: I'm sure everyone wants to know how/where you were able to rent this truck.
We found a company right near the airport in Houston. The name is PV Rentals. They have a few really nice trucks, including this new 2011 Super Duty. man, I think that thing would pull our 27FB up the side of Pikes Peak at 80 mph. Unreal power.

For example, I know for a fact that if a squirrelly dude with a backwards ball cap and too much adam's apple were to pull up next to it at a stoplight with a jacked up 2500 and rev his motor a few times, this Ford will smoke him without even using all the throttle. three times out of three. Don't ask.

They don't rent trucks one-way, so we had to return it to Houston after taking the trailer to Dallas. But for anyone who wanted to rent a truck for a long weekend or a week in Texas, they would be a great resource.

Talk to Ann Rawlinson, Location Manager, at PV Rentals ( www.PVRentals.com ) and tell her the guy from the Turks and Caicos without a driver's license sent you.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hello twogringo's:
Well, it's nice to see some folks are true to they're words when they post intentions and then follow up with lightning speed. AND make fools of us all when we nay-say'd your intention of renting a TV.
I, for one, will accuse you of sweet-talkling the rental counter girl into letting you tow (with out a license....for pete's sake!!).
Sailors, gotta luv 'em. or are "tings" just a little bit more cowboy down Texas way?
Anyway, good on ya, and bon voyage
Del and Tinbad the trailer
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I honestly don't currently have a valid license in hand. I have a receipt from the Turks and Caicos Government for renewal of a license. that's it. No photo. No address. Out of country. And the receipt is dated in early November of last year.

YES, it's been over six months and they have still not managed to print and laminate a new license for me. They got it all right two weeks ago....except they had my last name as Williams. My last name is not Williams!!

You think I am kidding, don't you. Check this out:

and my last name bears no resemblance to Williams. I DID tell them I would accept it, if they would. I just needed a license!! They wouldn't. They took it away from me, and I went to Texas with just a paper receipt.
The C,E, and G mean I am qualified to drive cars, motorcycles, and buses and trucks, by the way. It's the local equivalent of a Can Drive Anything With Wheels.

I offered the rental company my pilots license and passport. I could prove who I am. Just couldn't show them a drivers license. Good people.

Oh, I also managed to insure the AS with State Farm. heck, I may as well become an honorary state resident all over. Would that make me a Born Again Texan?