Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
U haul trucks allow you to tow a trailer.
When you find your tow vehicle post your solution, many inquiring minds would like to know.
Good Luck
Well, we rented a 2011 Ford F 350 Superduty with the new 6.2 PowerStroke, Crew cab. With electric brake control and beaucoup power to spare.

We pulled 'Silver Lining' from Houston up to Dallas, where it is happily sitting inside a secure, air conditioned building until we decide where to take it next.

In the meantime, we aregetting a set of custom linens made for it by Peacock Alley in Dallas. Have you guys ever tried their sheets? On top of a two inch memory foam insert on that queen sized bed in the 27? Oh man....dis ain't camping anymore, Toto....

Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
La Gringa, Welcome to the fourms.
Hi Gringo.

Looks like things have worked out well for the two of youl Great looking trailer! I know you are excited.

Ya'll (yes I'm from the south) are a little early for getting away during the hurricane season. Are you going to be on the mainland all summer, and fall too?

We just put on a 2" memory foam topper this past winter. DW got some silky sheets. Oh wow, it really does make a lot of differnce.

Have fun on your travels!

Alan

ps: I'm sure everyone wants to know how/where you were able to rent this truck.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hey Gringo and La Gringa,
Congrats on the fine Stream! I hope to see y'all on the road sometime soon. Like the blog. Great pictures!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
La Gringa, Welcome to the fourms.
Hi Gringo.

Looks like things have worked out well for the two of youl Great looking trailer! I know you are excited.

Ya'll (yes I'm from the south) are a little early for getting away during the hurricane season. Are you going to be on the mainland all summer, and fall too?

We just put on a 2" memory foam topper this past winter. DW got some silky sheets. Oh wow, it really does make a lot of differnce.

Have fun on your travels!

Alan

ps: I'm sure everyone wants to know how/where you were able to rent this truck.
We found a company right near the airport in Houston. The name is PV Rentals. They have a few really nice trucks, including this new 2011 Super Duty. man, I think that thing would pull our 27FB up the side of Pikes Peak at 80 mph. Unreal power.

For example, I know for a fact that if a squirrelly dude with a backwards ball cap and too much adam's apple were to pull up next to it at a stoplight with a jacked up 2500 and rev his motor a few times, this Ford will smoke him without even using all the throttle. three times out of three. Don't ask.

They don't rent trucks one-way, so we had to return it to Houston after taking the trailer to Dallas. But for anyone who wanted to rent a truck for a long weekend or a week in Texas, they would be a great resource.

Talk to Ann Rawlinson, Location Manager, at PV Rentals ( www.PVRentals.com ) and tell her the guy from the Turks and Caicos without a driver's license sent you.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hello twogringo's:
Well, it's nice to see some folks are true to they're words when they post intentions and then follow up with lightning speed. AND make fools of us all when we nay-say'd your intention of renting a TV.
I, for one, will accuse you of sweet-talkling the rental counter girl into letting you tow (with out a license....for pete's sake!!).
Sailors, gotta luv 'em. or are "tings" just a little bit more cowboy down Texas way?
Anyway, good on ya, and bon voyage
Del and Tinbad the trailer
Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I honestly don't currently have a valid license in hand. I have a receipt from the Turks and Caicos Government for renewal of a license. that's it. No photo. No address. Out of country. And the receipt is dated in early November of last year.

YES, it's been over six months and they have still not managed to print and laminate a new license for me. They got it all right two weeks ago....except they had my last name as Williams. My last name is not Williams!!

You think I am kidding, don't you. Check this out:

and my last name bears no resemblance to Williams. I DID tell them I would accept it, if they would. I just needed a license!! They wouldn't. They took it away from me, and I went to Texas with just a paper receipt.
The C,E, and G mean I am qualified to drive cars, motorcycles, and buses and trucks, by the way. It's the local equivalent of a Can Drive Anything With Wheels.

I offered the rental company my pilots license and passport. I could prove who I am. Just couldn't show them a drivers license. Good people.

Oh, I also managed to insure the AS with State Farm. heck, I may as well become an honorary state resident all over. Would that make me a Born Again Texan?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
We here in Florida can't get a renewal using current driver's license as id, require a couple of id's(passport, birth certificate or circumcision certificate) and proof of domicile(payments, bills, lease). Any and all problems of id is just a continuation of post 911 security by Feds according to clerks and banks.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
one of those

2011 27 FB International
what the hell is a circumcision certificate? you're kidding me, right?

That is grounds for child abuse, pure and simple. Surely you are not still cutting pieces off your newborn babies...
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Wow, I can't believe it's been over 8 months since I was here. But sailing season is over, and it's time to start thinking about the Airstream again.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hey Gringo: So dee fust hurricane o dee season out Cancun way's got ya t'inkin 'bout life on dee hard mon? Texas be hotter dan Trinidad now time.....best set auto pilot to North when you arrive.
Cheers
Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
After spending 40 days on the boat getting it down here from Jax, we're kinda liking the idea of splitting our time between the Airstream and the catamaran. Wanna buy a house in the tropics? Great ocean views....
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
40 days from Jax sounds like a nice sail....what route....through the islands or a jump off from the Key's. Beating against the G-stream would be a real pain and with the draft of a catamaran, the Bahamas would be a cake walk. I ran a yacht with a 9' draft across the flats and lost a few hairs over it.
Sorry, no house in my future....living simple in the AS is nice and cozy.
Del
Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
one of those

2011 27 FB International
We motored down the ICW. Started in St. John's River at NAS JAX. cut across to West End. Then worked our way down the Bahamas. Got hit by lightning north of Chub Cay. Did the last 54 hours without sleep. Fun trip.

there's a bunch of photos on the blog.