Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
Hello from the Texas Riviera

We are old retired folk who are just now acquiring a new Safari 28. Our only previous RV experience was with a pickup camper back in the middle 70s, so we have much to learn. We plan, however, to use the trailer a lot, frequently visiting big cities for events we love. We'll try this year, for example, to do the opera in Santa Fe and Houston, to get back to Austin for some jazz music, and maybe to New York for theater, various kinds of music, and one or two great restaurants.

In between times we live in Rockport, Texas, well known as a little drinking town with a fishing problem...just about 35 miles up the coast from Corpus Christi. While here at home we spend some time in our little boat chugging up and down the bay fishing for red fish, speckled trout, and flounder and collecting the odd crab and oyster. Other interests and activities include boatbuilding, sailing, reading a lot, and, recently, doing sudoku puzzles.

We look forward to getting to know all y'all.

Cheers!
Pat & Jim
jspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Welcome to the forum!
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Why not come to Houston for the Rodeo? It's the biggest in the world and starts this weekend.
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
In between times we live in Rockport, Texas, well known as a little drinking town with a fishing problem...just about 35 miles up the coast from Corpus Christi.

Pat & Jim,

First, welcome to the Forum! That phrase has a very familiar ring. There is a little town about 15 miles from here right on the Gulf that uses the same description...."Goodland, FL: A drinking village with a fishing problem!" I'm sure if you held a contest to determine who best fit the slogan....it would be a great spectacle !
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeer
Hello from the Texas Riviera
Strange things happen, there in Texas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic03899 (Small).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	18635  
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Things You'd See ONLY In TEXAS

If only you knew.
GStephens

GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Welcome from Mansfield.
Oh my, Y'all are making me jealous, I wish there were little villages up here with the same problems you have. You could come to Ft. Worth for the Stock Show.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
doing the buzzard lope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
In between times we live in Rockport, Texas, well known as a little drinking town with a fishing problem...just about 35 miles up the coast from Corpus Christi.

Pat & Jim,

First, welcome to the Forum! That phrase has a very familiar ring. There is a little town about 15 miles from here right on the Gulf that uses the same description...."Goodland, FL: A drinking village with a fishing problem!" I'm sure if you held a contest to determine who best fit the slogan....it would be a great spectacle !
Hands down, Goodland would win that contest on both counts!
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeer
We are old retired folk who are just now acquiring a new Safari 28. Our only previous RV experience was with a pickup camper back in the middle 70s, so we have much to learn. We plan, however, to use the trailer a lot, frequently visiting big cities for events we love. We'll try this year, for example, to do the opera in Santa Fe and Houston, to get back to Austin for some jazz music, and maybe to New York for theater, various kinds of music, and one or two great restaurants.

In between times we live in Rockport, Texas, well known as a little drinking town with a fishing problem...just about 35 miles up the coast from Corpus Christi. While here at home we spend some time in our little boat chugging up and down the bay fishing for red fish, speckled trout, and flounder and collecting the odd crab and oyster. Other interests and activities include boatbuilding, sailing, reading a lot, and, recently, doing sudoku puzzles.

We look forward to getting to know all y'all.

Cheers!
Pat & Jim
Welcome Pat and Jim,
I was born and raised in Corpus Christi almost 56 years ago and spent time both in Rockport and Aransas Pass. I've been in TN. since I went away to military high school in '67. I do get back once a year to turkey, deer, hog, dove or quail hunt and always go to Rockport to visit friends while staying with my sister in CC.

I'm sure you will fit in fine here.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssvt
Why not come to Houston for the Rodeo? It's the biggest in the world and starts this weekend.
Ah, the Fat Stock Show and Rodeo. We lived in Houston for many years (I went to Rice AND UofH) so we know it well. I remember my kids at one show back in the 60s coming unglued when they saw Chuck Connors who was then on TV as The Rifleman. We'd love to come, but it'll have to be next year. Pat is just 2 months into recuperating from having had BOTH knees replaced, and she's not yet quite up to a rodeo. Great idea, though, thanks!

Pat & Jim
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
Stock Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
Welcome from Mansfield.
Oh my, Y'all are making me jealous, I wish there were little villages up here with the same problems you have. You could come to Ft. Worth for the Stock Show.
We will be in Ft. Worth for one Stock Show soon, as well as to visit all those great galleries you all have. Thanks!

Pat & Jim
Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
cc tx , Texas
Hello from corpus christi!.... I just picked up an airstream myself. Welcome
True
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Welcome Pat and Jim...I love Rockport...my favorite spot on the Texas Coast...I know my id says Canton, Tx but I now live in San Francisco...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Welocme to the forum!

We spent 2 weeks in Rockport in early January and loved it. We understand what you mean about the "drinking town with the fishing problem"! We went down one evening and ate at a small place called Captain Benny's. There was an overload of elderly persons (don't take offense, I'm one myself!), all with their coolers of their favorite beverages. My wife even commented that she felt like we were in a Seinfeld episode. We thoroughly enjoyed the area and are planning another trip back in your area sometime in March or April. We particularly liked the Big Fisherman's daily lunch specials! When it was time to move on in a southerly direction, it was sad to leave. We hope you enjoy your new "twinkie" as much as we have ours. Again, welcome to the forum and the realm of AS ownership!

P.S. Our profile picture was taken at sunrise in Rockport!

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
Can'n Benny

[quote=razorback]We spent 2 weeks in Rockport in early January and loved it. We understand what you mean about the "drinking town with the fishing problem"! We went down one evening and ate at a small place called Captain Benny's.

Yep, it's all us old folk here. Turns out Captain Benny and I lived in the same little English town in the early 70s when he was a tug boat skipper and I was helping drill wells in the North Sea. Rockport also affords lots of those "it's a small world" coincidences.

Thanks for your response; hope to see you on your next visit.

Cheers!
Pat & Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
when you're on the road, I'd be happy to watch your place and keep the fish on the defensive. No charge, if you bait a few hooks for me. Should I bring a short Airstream or a long one?

Welcome to the most amazing world! The first thing you should do is take a large hammer to your computer or you will get nothing done on your Airstream...

Roger