Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #1 the elements be free
2008 19' Safari
Coos Bay , Oregon
Hello from the Oregon coast

Hello from the Oregon coast.
My wife and I were longtime (forty some-odd years) backpackers and mountaineers who rediscovered car camping in remote corners of the west a few years ago. That, and the fact that we camp off-season, led us one dark and frigid night down the slippery slope toward visions of comfort and convenience. (Not to mention campfire smoke and crawling out the tent in the middle of said shivering night for the usual reasons.)
Driving back from a canyon outing in Utah and spying a tiny, shiny AS dry-camping in the cottonwood shade beneath a towering red-rock escarpment sealed the deal.
We have now welcomed a 2008 19' Bambi into our newer, more refined version of the good (retired) life. Her name is Ariel after the sprite in Shakespeare's Tempest: " the elements be free/And fare thou well." In human form (and if I have done all this correctly) she would look very much like the avatar that accompanies this post. Appologies that neither I nor my wife look anything at all like that.
Anyway, this forum is great and we look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in places far, far away from full hookups.

AerAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
. , .
welcome aboard aerariel...

we gather together for camping and friendship here often.

there is a small group that will be at newport beach this weekend with

last year included beverly beach, silver falls, trout lake, and several other spots, sisters was a fun rv friendly little town.

i love all corners of the state.

there are SO MANY great places to camp in oregon, that i hope u will share them with us....

and we love photos too!

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Welcome AerAriel
I do not know when that moment of sighting and realization happened to me, but I mostly blame it on Brian Burkhart's History of Airstreams book.

"Driving back from a canyon outing in Utah and spying a tiny, shiny AS dry-camping in the cottonwood shade beneath a towering red-rock escarpment sealed the deal."
We toured Oregon in 06' and it was amazing. Great campgrounds, the coast was spectacular. It was difficult to leave and start driving back east, but we did manage to stop at the Redwoods, Glacier, Watertown CN, Yellowstone, and the Badlands to break up the trip.

Enjoy your new comforts while out and about. Everytime it rains the memories of tent camping will return while you are dry and warm!

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Welcome. Why not bring Ariel down the coast this April 11-13 and join us at the NorCal Casini Ranch Rally on the beautiful Russian River. Lynn and I 'discovered' this delightful group last Spring and we had a great time.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You lucky dogs--you live a stone's throw from Shoe Acres and the most incredible eroded beach rocks in the world (that would be the world I've seen). Not to mention Bandon Beach. I'm up there once a year to photograph. Love the whole area. I'm trying to decide right now on whether it will be the last week of July or the middle of September this year.

Your "conversion" vision in Utah is a big part of my typical summer. You appear to have the right ideas--bondocking and the west.

Happy Camping! There are a number of threads on the Forums regarding best boondocking locations. You should take the time to add to them.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote

« on the road | Top | Hello »