Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
NorCal , California
Hello from the Bay Area

This little sweetheart followed us home last week. Finally after dreaming of silver for about 8 years, the planets aligned for us and we found a sweet little vintage gal with all the features we were looking for.

She's a 1968 Safari International. She's had a bit of mods done but not too much to detract from her original features. Some new things include a solar panel, new hot water heater, new fridge (that doesn't exactly fit), furnace removed. Overall, I believe she's in good shape. Floor is solid throughout, only minimal evidence of leaks (around the vent stacks).

There are a few spendy repairs needed, mainly the black tank leaks so a new one is in order, there is some daylight coming through the wheel well on the goucho side and the goucho frame is in need of repair. The awning has a pretty ghetto repair so that's probably something we'll address later down the road.

Our first item on the agenda was to clean, clean, clean. There was a lot of dust in the storage compartments and a good layer grime. So the cushions came out, all the bins removed, the beds lifted and dust washed way, and the walls got a good bath. We fed the wood with Howard's Feed & Wax and it sucked it up like a sponge, more applications of that are due.

I pulled down the drapes and decided I'd just take a chance and wash them. If they fell apart, oh well, they were pretty crusty and stained.
I filled up the bath tub with hot water, a big scoop of OxyClean and a cap full of laundry soap and let them soak. It took three washes and I still think I'll wash them again. Have to take them down anyway to sew new track gliders on them. They came out amazingly well considering I was prepared to toss them. They'll stay for now while other big ticket items get addressed.

Lots of silicone lubrication on all the window parts and moving parts and now most everything is working. There's a few missing clips, the bath window is falling out of it's bracket and it needs some new screen material.

Anyway, I've been an Airforum member for a long time, mostly just reading but now we finally have our little silver girl!

All these shots are 'before' cleaning.

(note the curtain stains)

Oh yea!!!

Just a little dust!

Washing the drapes. Yup, that water is that dirty!

ICK!

And here she is, home after a 440 mile trip. Hopefully the first of many to come!

I've got a bazillion questions and have already found many answers here. Much gratitude to those that have blazed a trail and shared their wisdom here!

Cheers! Laurie

more photos in our Flickr album

p.s. Does anyone know what is the wood veneer used?
Save
Save
EmptyNesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Congrats on your new baby!
Check out Northern California Aistreamers on Facebook for local rallies, etc.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Does anyone know what is the wood veneer used?

A couple of us did some research on our '66 Safaris and the wood was Ash. Don't know if it continued into '68.

My friends found writing on the back of some of their wood panels that actually said Ash and had the serial number of the trailer the piece was intended for. Their interior was removed from their trailer by a previous owner and was delivered to them essentially as a junk pile. Look around inside cabinets, etc. to see if any marks are visible.

Congratulations on your find. 60's Safaris are neat trailers.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
American walnut

One of my all time favorite lecturers is Lew Farber. At the Vintage Trailer Academy, Lew barked out Yes's and No's to questions like I've never seen. No meandering pre-qualifying, no "It Depends", No conditions.. Just concise strait answers. so...

AMERICAN WALNUT!!

Land Yachts were Ash. (1st page, right column of attachment)

The most common and advertised International upgrade was Walnut. Back then it was possible, but rare to specify Mahogany or Cherry as a custom upgrade. There is a light coating of clear lacquer as the finish. The lacquer can be rubbed off with your favorite carcinogen, and refinished.

The Single axle 67/68 is a pretty fine go anywhere trailer. Very robust, also very repairable. As your "cleaning" gets deeper and becomes repair and re-configuring, You'll appreciate the simplicity and access not found in today's models. These "Old Betties" are smarter than what's offered today in many ways.

Another great asset of the 67/68 is the remarkably sensible bath. Your black tank is only 18 gallons (I've measured). It's not terribly difficult to remove. Some were polyethylene and some were ABS, maybe California v Ohio, I don't know why. Either way, it can be repaired.

With a Thetford to Valterra adapter and an additional Valterra gate, your black tank will hold your grey water too. This works just fine for a water conserving couple over a week-end. When you remove your black tank you will find that there is room in the next forward frame bay for a grey tank if you want to further your waste water project.

The 1968 wiring is just plain stupid. Maybe the worst ever of any Airstream. It isn't necessarily dangerous, but re-configuring and updating should be a priority. Try not to be infatuated with the "Central Control". It's actually a dysfunctional, heavy, obsolete, counter space wasting, superfluous, gratuitous, piece of junk. It was the first year attempt at "Central Control", and I can't say if Airstream ever got the subsequent years right. If you're doing a museum quality restoration, you'll have to keep it, but there is nothing in there worthy to an updated electrical system, and keeping it for its "cool looks" creates unnecessary work-arounds...

Yup, the old furnace can kill you. It's too old to trust, and there may have been recalls. Maybe you can find a place for a Marine Bulkhead Heater. Haven't heard any complaints about them in an Airstream. They function safely and are cute.

With wind-driven rain, some of your windows will probably always leak a little into the sill, even with new gaskets. That's just the way the 66-68 windows are... They're easy to re-gasket and DO put fresh tape in the clamp bars, otherwise the glass can fall out unexpectedly...

I've been crawling over and through my 1968GT for six years. I have some pertinent posts, but no ongoing restoration thread. Most of my thread start headings are specific...

Most all the late sixties contributors are well versed. Pretty much, everything you need to know has been published to Airforums.

'68 is an Easy to Love Airstream.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1968models.pdf (1.99 MB, 23 views)
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . great looking Airstream, thanks for sharing. . . come see us in AZ some time, it's starting to cool off here :~). . . regards, Craig
Old 09-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
I was looking at your pictures again. Is that white dot behind the street side wheel your sewer dump?? if so, your waste tank/s are not original to 1968.

Noticed you have an external range-hood vent cover, but no range-hood inside??

What's in the box behind propane bottles? Battery relocated?

It's nice to see so much of your trailer preserved and conserved. Many of them haven't been that lucky.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
NorCal , California
Thank you for you informative post! Lots to take in!! There is an after-market grey tank (prev. owner put in) that holds kitchen grey water only and as far as I can tell, all the bath empties into the black tank. So that white cap you see is the cover for the grey. I actually already put in a new Valterra valve this last weekend as it was leaking. So far so good, my first 'repair' of many I'm sure.

There is a small catalytic heater at the entrance but I'm not really sure what to do about that. We haven't given it a try yet.

We don't have plans to do any mods just yet short of copying your brilliant shower curtain rod system. I've priced out the parts and that will be one of the first things we do after the black tank is repaired. I'll have to learn to bend conduit or have it done, that's not a skill I've tried yet and I'm scared to put screws into any place on the inside of the trailer yet. (so much so that I still have the new CO2/smoke detector in it's box.)

To answer your other post, there's a range fan thing in there but it's not functional. Broken motor? Bad switch? I don't know for sure and anything electrical is not my forte. In fact electrical confounds me to no end but I'm sure I'll be learning a whole lot in the near future.

The box behind the propane tanks holds two batteries, AFAIK the solar charges the battery but beyond that again I'm a neophyte if it has to do with anything electrical.

Thanks again for your reply!! Also, is this the best place to be discussing my trailer or is it better forum etiquette to move over to the Safari forum?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
NorCal , California
Thank you!! We actually plan to head to AZ (Sedona) to visit family in the near future!!
Old 09-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
NorCal , California
Thanks so much!! I asked to 'join' the FB page and my status is pending! Hopefully I'll be added soon!