Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Hello from Terrie and Ray Hodges

Today we have joined your forum. We, for 15 yrs. have enjoyed our 1965 Airstream Safari Land Yacht 22 ft. Currently, we are planning a trip to the Pacific Northwest to be Campground Hosts. We are about to accept a position in Oregon or Washington. We would like to hear what you know about work camping in the Pacific Northwest or work camping in general. This will be our first time out and away from home for 6 months. I have some anxiety about getting everything taken care of at home before we take off. Also, what kind of information do you have on the best way to have wireless computer internet access on the road. Is there any particular cell phone service that is better access in mountainous areas in the Northwest? We have many questions...some of them we don't even know enough to ask, at this point. Thanks. Terrie and Ray
T. Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forum! I can't answer about the Northwest (Verison has great coverage in the SouthWest), but I wanted to ask you about the campground host assignment. My wife and I have talked about doing something like that when I retire in a few years. How did you the job? What are the requirements?
I am sure someone will jump in with the answer you are looking for. This forum has quite a few members who reside where you are heading. Good luck!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Welcome the the forums...

And soon to the Pacific northwest.

It's hard to answer your questions without knowing where you're going to 'touch-down'.

Regarding cellular service, the two major players are Verizon and Cingular, with Nextel also in many areas.

Lots of wireless internet service, but due to the beautiful read that as 'rugged') terrain, it (and cellular) can be spotty.

Feel free to PM me with any details, i'll help in any way I can.

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Welcome aboard!

I can't offer any assistance in this area.
However, I'm sure you'll get many responses before the
day is out! This forum holds a wealth of knowledge!

I just wanted to welcome you.
Good luck and happy traveling!

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Happy hosting!

Welcome to the forum!
Here's a thread that might be helpful. Lots of nice folks on the forum from the Northwest.
Best of luck!
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=coastalme
Old 01-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
_

. , .
from florida to washington is one looooooooong trip!

hi terrie and ray and welcome to the forums

i look forward to reading about your work camp experience. keep us posted about the process and where you land.

there is at least one website just for work campers....and there are sub forums on several rv websites... several of the full timing websites have jobs/camp hosting sections too.

use google to search the web for rv camp hosts/hosting, work camping or some combo of terms and lots will appear. here is one i've been reading......

http://www.work-camping.com/

also several of the state park websites have info on camp host positions...

there isn't a lot on this topic here (on the airstream forums) but lots of other good info....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
hosting

I have hosted the Oregon coast at State Parks. I'm currently a hospitality host at South Beach State Park, near Newport. -What time of year are you hosting? Who will you be hosting for? Even in the State Park system, each park has it's own personality. It seems there are cancellations, and that is one way to get a variety of hosting assignments. So far, I've called the State Parks volunteer coordinator, and asked what is available. There have always been several parks to choose from. -I have yet to plan ahead and reserve my host assignment!
Anita
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06jansouthbeachspOR14.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	17540  
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Hi, AZFLYCASTER, Thanks for your welcome and information. Ray and I have just retired from teaching and social work. There is a Work Kamper magazine and web site. What we did is we became members of Good Sam Club and filled out an application with them. They were very responsive. They checked us out (references and law enforcement checks) and then they forwarded our application around the Pacific NW since that was our interest. You indicate when you are available and what type of hook up you need, etc. From them we have heard from the National Forest Service which offered a paying Host position in the Mt. Rainer area for $900 a month cash and a free site but the work requirement was more than we wanted to be tied down to...39 hrs. a wk. spilt between us. We have heard from a National Park in WA and a county park in OR. We applied directly to OR and WA state parks and did not hear from either. So I think Good Sam is a good place to start. This Airstream forum is great although we really don't know how to use it, yet. We love the pictures of your dogs and the photo of you guys in the water.We have recently been fortunate enough to meet two young California Airstreamers (1963 Flying Cloud fully rehabed) and they introduced us to this site and to the blog concept for our journey. We plan to figure the blog out, too, and do that so our friends and family can read and see photos of what we are doing daily. This is all so exciting. Even though Ray and I are still young...59 and 57...we just had no idea there was so much going on in the world of Airstream...We have been soooooo busy for so long...working...This is a real change...Hope it will be goooooood...Thank you again for being so sweet to write to us. Terrie and Ray
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Hi, Jim,
Thank you for your welcome. One of the Host positions we are considering for a few more days is Salmonberry Park by Alsea River between Corvallis and Waldport, OR. This is near where you are in Newport, OR, I think. We also are talking with Fairholm, Lake Crescent @ Olympic National Park. Salmonberry is a Benton Co., OR park. We are really excited but overwhelmed too. This will be our first time out for a long stay (leave April and work camp May - Sept. and then come back to Florida). I see you are a communications person. We will call on you. Thanks. Terrie
Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Hi, Pluffmud in Alabama, We have lots of relatives in Alabama and it is sweet home for sure. Thanks for your welcome and we hope to hear from you again. How do you like that Airstream motorhome? Terrie
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Steph in Michigan, Thanks for the forum address. Your red beans and rice and cornbread look pretty good. How did you come by that stuff in Michigan? Terrie
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Thanks 2air, We plan to figure out how to do a blog for our journey and that way all can look and see if we are doing anything interesting out NW or if we made it or what. Thanks for your welcome. and the information on sites. Terrie
Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Hi, Anita, Coastal Me, Newport is close to Waldport and Corvallis, I believe. Good for you getting OR state parks. We applied directly to them and to WA state parks and have not heard from them. We have heard from Benton Co. parks and a National Park in WA and a National Forest Park. We are not brave enough to strike out all the way across the country with no plan and two dogs!! What can you tell us about the weather May - September a little inland from where you are? Your home base is in CA? What do you think about the South Beach Park where you are? Thanks for your welcome and I hope to talk to you again and hear what you know about your area in OR. Thanks. Terrie
Old 01-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Full Timing it in the NorthWest

Hello, I moved up to Newport Washington, on the East side of the state, right on the Idaho border, just over three months ago. I couldn't be happier. Instead of spending money on propane, and running my heater all of the time, I use one of those newer self contained radiators. It's working out well. The snow hasn't been a problem at all. I guarantee you'll love it!!! I have a memership, and will eventually make it over to our campgrounds on the west side of the state.

Best of luck, keep us all posted!!!

Ron
Old 01-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Hi, Ron, Thanks for the welcome. We can't imagine being in the Airstream in the snow! Sounds like you have the heat system down. What is it that you like so much in your new area? Thanks. Terrie and Ray