Old 09-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Beulah , Colorado
Hello from Southern. Colorado

We pick up our new Sport 16 next week, and are quite excited. We had already planned 3 or 4 days with the the RPod, now will use the AS. We do a lot of long distance road trips (Maine to Idaho and back to Beulah CO this summer), and a fair amount of boon docking in Colorado, because its there. Looking forward to being part of this group. Our first trailer was a Scamp, about 10-12 years ago. We are happiest at the end of forest service roads, hope we donít get in too much trouble with this new beauty. No more turning the trailer by hand!

Barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi from another Coloradoan, and former Minnesotan and former Iowan. We've lived in Colorado for just three years. Moved here to be close to our two sons.

And welcome to Air Forums and the Airstream community. Congratulations on your Sport 16'. We have the exact opposite of your trailer, a 1986 Limited 34'. We can't turn that one by hand either. We are traveling next week to Carbondale and explore a bit more of this beautiful state.

I like vintage Airstreams 'cause I'm old I guess. We joined the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, or WBCCI, and then we joined the vintage Airstream sub-club. We attended our first rally the first weekend in August. It was great fun to see all the vintage Airstreams and meet so many great people. You might like a Airstream club event to meet other Airsteamers.

These Air Forums are a great resource for learning all about your new trailer. Please join right in and start reading threads and participating. Start your own thread if you have a question or topic to discuss.

Here is a photo of my 75 Overlander parked in Colorado Springs on the way home after my purchase last year. I'm working on this vintage Airstream to make it a comfortable traveler the whole family can enjoy.

Keep in mind Airstreams last a very long time. Maybe your trailer will be a sought after vintage Airstream 50 years from now.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 As found gaucho 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	323053   Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	323054  

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Beulah , Colorado
Hi, David, and thanks. We will watch for you on the road next week. Not certain where we are heading yet, but it should include a lot of dirt roads - “shake down cruise!”

Barring
Old 09-22-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
welcome Barring, you will love your AS. i also boondock: had a scamp, 46 harry teardrop, 19 and 21 ft AS globetroters and others. you can move your 16 ft AS, put a wheel on your jack. moved both of my globetroters side ways by hand. not as easy as the scamp but can be done.happy camping. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Beulah , Colorado
Hi, Kurt, and thanks for the note. I still have the nose wheel left from the Scamp days. I will try it out. I use it occasionally on the R Pod, but it’s tough on gravel. In a tight spot, though, necessity must! I have always loved the old Airstreams. We thought hard about some of the larger ones. We may ultimately move up to something larger, but are still finding that we have to get in and out of some tight spots. No more fording streams, though. I can’t believe some of the places we went with the Scamp when we were younger. I’m looking forward to high mountain meadows next weekend. Barring
Old 09-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
hello again Barring, i loved our scamp, easy to tow- ok room for 2. downside was poor ground-clearance. all of our AS were way better. the wife thinks i'm crazy for the places i've towed the AS. i like blm and nat forests; wife likes at least state parks[flush toilets, showers] . give me dirt roads and more room anyday. happy trails. kurt

ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote