Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Talking Hello from snowbound Wyo

After prowling fields in the region and coming up empty, I bought my 1967 Airstream Safari on eBay, (half cash and half credit card advance) for $4,100. I drove to California the next day, buying a new tow vehicle on the way (financed, of course). It would have been love at first sight if my trailer hadn't begun falling apart immediately.

I towed it directly to a dealership, where they helped me get the lights functioning, and then 1,000 miles home to Wyoming (along the way, I got kicked out of the lovely Oasis RV park in Vegas because my trailer was too trashy for their standards). Also along the way, lost a battery compartment and window. She came in handy that summer during a separation from my DH. My dog and I lived in her for a couple of months as sort of a guest house in my friend's yard.

The PO installed bamboo floors and a front-end couch/bed conversion kit.

Last spring, I got new tires, new front window, side window and drove to San Francisco for a week's vacay with my sister. My new customized license plate (TRSH) blew away on the trip to Idaho Falls for a checkup, same trip where rocks blew out the front window. Two months later, after the snow melted, a fisherman found it and returned it to me via my LOST classified in the paper. The rear panel appeared to have been hit by a snowplow. It didn't survive, but the plate did. Now have lovely woodgrain paneling in her rear door area.

After all this self-destruction, I decided to name her something to curb her wild tendencies. A gay masseuse walked up that day and asked if my name was Stella. No, I said, but THAT'S A GOOD NAME. She's calmed down considerably since. We've camped in West Yellowstone, Mont. and around Jackson Hole.

Improvements: Lots of scrubbing, new door lock, 1 dome, 3 windows, new futon, futon covers, curtains, plastic screen tab thingys, ripped out useless shelf and dead fridge, new tires, rear jacks, propane tanks modernized, bought copy of original owners' manual.

Her plumbing doesn't function yet, because I couldn't decide between investing the money or ripping out her whole guts and starting with a new layout.

I'd love to invest a little more cash and sweat into Stella before taking her on a long southwest tour starting March 28.

I've "lurked" on the forum since I started my search for an Airstream in early 2006, so it's nice to finally be here!

Jo in Wyo.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jo, welcome to the forums. Sounds like Stella has been through a lot, but she is a tough old gal.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Welcome!

Welcome Jo! Glad to have you with us, finally. Many of us are guilty of lurking while searching for our babies. You will love all the information you'll find on this thread. It's helped us through the first round of repairs/restoration of our Felix.

I must say, I'm jealous of your location in Snowbound Wyoming. My husband and I love the Jackson area and have taken unforgettable trips to GTNP. Someday, we might even start looking for a job in the area. Someday.

Again, a hearty welcome to you and Stella.

Renee
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
cowboy state

Jo Good to hear from another in Wyoming. We're a little south of you in Lander. Plenty of snow but probably less than Jackson. We have a 64 overlander in original condition and I'm in the midst of a shell off restoration of a 58 cruiser. If you are thinking of redoing the plumbing a lot of people are using PEX rather than copper wiyh good results. If you are ever down this way stop in. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Hi + welcome!

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the Forums! Thought I'd stop by to say hello since I have a '67 Safari too. I enjoyed reading the story of your first few months together. Sounds like a rough start, but I know you and Stella will be very happy together.

The Forums are such great place to learn about your trailer. Good luck and keep us posted on your trials and travels...

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Yo Jo & Stella,

Welcome to the forums!

Your story is wonderful. Please keep your journal of your travels and keep us posted.

I was extremely fortunate to spend 16 years in Jackson and a very large part of that exploring and photographing Wyoming and surrounds.

You're right in the middle of the Cocktail Hour in Jackson Hole (November - May). Just think, in only six to seven months it may quit snowing and you can begin to travel into the Gros Ventre mtns...Gunsight Pass, and the myriad of other places in the GYC that your 1967 Safari is just PERFECT for!

Then, there is the rest of Wyoming...the Red Desert, the Laramie Range, the Snowy Range, the Big Horns, the Powder River Basin.

Then, just west of Yellowstone...Duck Creek, Madison River Canyon Earthquake area, Raynolds Pass, Ruby River, Broomtail Ridge and along the Gravelly range.

A good spooky overnight from JH can be spent at Teton River just above the site of the former Teton Dam...take a couple of friends.

While the Snow is still Above Town, Stella will give you many days and miles of unrepeatable, life-affirming experiences.

I love the little message she sent you when you dragged her to (arrrggggggggggggghhh) Idaho Falls and she kicked off her ID plate!

You can find out about more secret spots around JH if, when you go into that little hole-in-the-wall tobacco & coffee shop adjacent to the Teton Theater and ask Richard for a bowl full of straight black latakia. He'll know.

Judging from your story, you've got the moxie it takes to get the most from what that wonderful place has to offer. Get your pal, Stella, out of the Disneyland town and into that pristine beauty in the time of Big Wyoming storms, winds and wild country every week. Build your memories now...you are set to go!

Looking forward to more of your posts...

Cheers!

DJ
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Welcome,
That is one tough trailer and owner.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
I tend to get a little obsessed with things, so it's wild to see that I could spend 80 hours here reading about Airstreams and 'streamers, and never read the same thing twice. So many possibilities ...

BTW, DJ, never has a stranger quoted Davey Hough's book titles to me before. Impressive Hole knowledge you've got. I bet Washington is just as beautiful.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Hello Again

Hello again Jo

I responded to your question about the wbcci and noticed this post on the new posts section.

I have some fond but distant memories of Jackson Hole from my summer job with the forest service during college. also giant mosquito larvae wiggling under the ice in June!

Welcome to the forums.

I enjoyed your blog. Nice job and funny!
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier 001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	52488  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote