Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Newbie Wannabe

San Diego , CA
Hello from San Diego CA

New member here. Thanks for all of the sharing of info, it's been very informative as I do research.

I do not own an AS (yet), but my parents lived in an AS (I think it was an AS) in 1954 when my oldest brother was born near Denver CO while Dad was in the air force. I think it was the same AS that mom used to go camping with her mom and dad and brothers in the redwood forest of CA in the late 1940's. I have a vague memory of it when it was parked in a trailer park after moving to southern CA in the early 60's. I'll try to share photos but not sure I'm doing it right.

Anyway, so maybe AS is in the blood. At least camping is. I had a tent trailer for a few years. Now nearing retirement (a few years yet) and want something to take me and the dog to wherever.

I've narrowed it down to a 19 foot or 20 foot. I'll be able to store that length in my driveway and it's not too much to tow (I hope). I'll have to get a new tow vehicle, and I'm impressed with the new Ford Ranger (max 7500). I'm pretty handy with construction and will probably do some kind of modification of the interior, but don't want to do a total remodel (unless I pay someone else to do it).

Thanks again - I'll be lurking.
dm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom and Lu Murphine first home.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	346753   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Weavers travel trailer 194_.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	894.1 KB
ID:	346754  

Counting down to retirement
darcym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: I don't believe that old trailer in your family photo is an Airstream. Maybe someone else will help identify it.

An Airstream does in fact make a nice place to stay with our pet doggies. The smaller trailers are easier to tow and more maneuver. I myself have a harder time backing up a small single axle trailer compared to our longer dual axle ones. But that is just my lack of practice and experience. My son does very well with his 21' Globetrotter (it's a 1969 model).

Some folks here travel with a smaller Airstream but quickly fill up the tow vehicle with stuff they want or need. Make sure you have the power to tow and the cargo capacity with a 600 pound trailer tongue hanging on the rear bumper.

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Newbie Wannabe

San Diego , CA
Thanks for the welcome, David.

I've always assumed that they were the same trailer but looking closer at the two photos today I think they may be different. I do have a very clear recollection of a metal colored rounded bulbous trailer when I was probably 3 years old, and always assumed that too was an AS. The one in the bottom photo with mom and her family seems to be very close to what an AS of the time (late 40s) would have looked like. But if anyone knows better please chime in.

Grandpa pictured in the family photo was also a machinist/engineer working in aircraft mfr plants in Los Angeles areas before, during and after WW2, so it always seemed likely that he and Wally B may have known each other or crossed paths. Or not. Sadly I don't know the full story and only have these faded photos.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
DM, welcome to the forum. It's great to have you one board. As you know already, it's a great place to learn and share and have some fun along the way.

That's a cool story about the AS your parents had. And about your grandfather. Hopefully an AS for you will create memories for others as well. I had an aunt and Uncle who lived in San Diego many years ago. Many fond memories of visiting them!

Best wishes in your quest!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #5

Boston , Massachusetts
Hey from Boston, i am sure will have good time here. Welcome to this community.
laraalbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
Newbie Wannabe

San Diego , CA
Thanks Hans -- i love San Diego. It's a hard place to leave even on holiday. So many times i just decide to have a stay-cation.

Thanks for the welcome, lara. Driving to the east coast and seeing where US history began is one of my AS goals.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Welcome. Loved San Diego back in the 70's. Being in California and Airstream shopping, keep an eye on A to Z Motors in Winters, CA. They seem to attract a unique collection of top quality used Airstream trailers. YMMV. https://www.atozmotors.com/
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Newbie Wannabe

San Diego , CA
Thanks for the hint, Arch.

So heres a technical question I've not seen yet - dual axle or single?

I'm seeing some older 22 foot AS with dual axles. Is this better/worse or negligible difference?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hello from San Diego CA

Personally, since I own a 2007 International CCD that is a 23 footer but does have two axles, I prefer two axles if at all possible. It does back a little easier with two axles, and if I get one flat tire, Iím not dragging a wheel or part of the trailer until i get stopped. Itís also a lot easier to chock the trailer from moving.

The obvious downside is that I do have four tires, 4 sets of brakes, and two axles to replace or maintain, etc.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Newbie Wannabe

San Diego , CA
Oh i found the threads discussing axles ... more reading to do.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
From one San Diegan to another...Welcome!

We have a 23' CB. Perfect size for 2 of us + doggie. We wanted a double axle...easier to back up, and a feeling that we'd be safer if we ever got a blow-out. Also, depending on how much time you will be spending in your trailer, we like having more space, and sense of space in the 23, as opposed to the 19 or 22.

btw...it's amazing how many old airstreams and other brand look-a-likes are in my neighborhood. I just came across one the other day, parked in an alley, that is an Air BnB...with the brand name Barth. That was a new one on me!

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote