Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Hello from Rhode Island!

My husband and I have just become new owners of a 2002 22ft International CCD rather without thinking about it too much...we were afraid we might miss out on the opportunity and just went for it after having our auto-mechanic check it for any major flaws. I imagine we will soon find out if we made a mistake or if we made the best investment ever! The camper has been used as an onsite office for a landscape company for the last owner and the bed area was converted to a desk area but we have all the pieces to put it all back. There are a few soft spots in the floor and a few leaks I am sure but we have yet to discover where. I am sure we will be here looking for answers to many many questions in the near future! Hopefully the camper...tentatively named HIHO ...will be ready for a trip to Maine in August. My first question will be whether or not our Ford Ranger 4l V6 4WD pick-up will be able to tow her. Will post pictures as soon as I have a few minutes to figure out how
Ornstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats on the new trailer! The 22 CCD is a neat design. Max weight is 4500 lbs - your Ranger should be able to tow it if it has the tow package.

I don't like being a downer, but those trailers are known for having some issues with the floor. It is made of OSB (less water resistant than plywood) and many suffer from leaks in the back. Also, there was a factory upgrade kit for the frame outriggers on that model.

Here is a thread from the owner of the same trailer (a 2003 22 CCD) about his floor. I'm sincerely hoping your floor is better.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Welcome! You will love your international CCD! You have a really cool airstream! Be sure to post photos!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Congrats on the new trailer! The 22 CCD is a neat design. Max weight is 4500 lbs - your Ranger should be able to tow it if it has the tow package.

I don't like being a downer, but those trailers are known for having some issues with the floor. It is made of OSB (less water resistant than plywood) and many suffer from leaks in the back. Also, there was a factory upgrade kit for the frame outriggers on that model.

Here is a thread from the owner of the same trailer (a 2003 22 CCD) about his floor. I'm sincerely hoping your floor is better.

Tom

Now I am starting to worry! Do they all have this bad a problem? Any 2002 International owners out there that are happy with their choice? We still don't have her home yet...Now I am thinking we will have a trailer inspector check it out to see if it was worth what we paid...too late to give it back though Is there a forum for finding inspectors in our area?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Welcome! You will love your international CCD! You have a really cool airstream! Be sure to post photos!

Thanks! Having some buyers remorse at the moment but hopefully once it has been checked out and at home all will be well!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey RI! Green Hill Beach (summer and fall) here... The Ranger will not be happy- we towed our 19 foot Globetrotter with our '99 Ranger 4wd 4L V6 with a stick, and it was iffy. That's a 2900 pound trailer. You might be okay on rural roads in RI for the time being, but if you take it on the Interstate or mountains, be prepared. Your V6 may have more horsepower than ours did, I think the later ones are overhead cam, ours was a pushrod 160hp version. Congratulations.. I'm sure buying one only a couple of years old there could be very little wrong with it, even if there is a leak, compared to buying a 50s-70s model.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Take a look in the trailer forums at the various threads in the International section about their 22' CCDs. You can then read threads from other owners. As you'd guess, some have had varying experiences with the floor.

I agree with Globie64 - even if you have to fix the floor, you're still far ahead work-wise from redoing a vintage trailer from the ground up.

Tom
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Everyone needs a first trailer to learn about them, and what you really want. That may well be many years down the road. This is a nifty design with some design/build problems but quite usable. Use it, learn its limits, and don't stick big money into it. Assuming you got it for a decent price and it can give you many years of enjoyment, it's a great buy.

A tow vehicle is only as safe as its driver.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
dkottum, I'm curious, what big money are you thinking about? I don't know anything about the construction of the newer rigs, but I assumed that maintained they should last the way the older ones have? Personally, I love the CCDs (Chris Deam teaches where I went to architecture school) but I think you're right, you find what works for you personally, more or less room, more or less to tow and take care of, and trade accordingly. Ornstream, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your Airstream, more than you imagined.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Greetings from another former Rhode Islander (summers in South County on Beach near Misquamicut..) The challenge around the OSB or manufactured plywood substitute used in some Airstream Flooring is that the resin was supposed to be waterproof, but wasn't really, and the OSB material is not recommended or any "exterior" applications in construction withot additional membrane or waterproofing protections. Once it does get wet from leaks in shell or around windows or door or bath, it goes spongey pretty quick.. Fixing requires cutouts and patches and re-waterproofing.. Not enough to upset your plans for this summer, as it is a slow problem, not a crisis, though wet spongey state wil continue to spread...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I hate to freak out or disappoint a newbie- i think the emphasis should be on the fun you can have with the trailer, even if you have to make repairs at some point. It's like a boat, just a lot cheaper, there is always going to be something you're going to need to fix, and it becomes a lesson in letting go and enjoying life. I'm serious.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Like I wrote above, I really hated disappointing Ornstream too. But sometimes enjoying life comes with a few bumps to solve. Unfortunately, this model of trailer is well known for having some issues - beyond those experienced by most vintage owners and their plywood floors. Better to know now and address them.

I've been there too. My first Airstream (my Argosy) required unexpected frame repairs. (That was a heck of a phone conversation with the repair shop.) We had the trailer repaired, and then enjoyed it a lot. Likewise, my new-to-me 2007 is spending a week at the trailer shop getting stuff replaced and upgraded.

Fix them and enjoy them. You will find many 22 CCD owners who did the same.

Tom
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Yikes. It's amazing to me that they used OSB for the floor; I won't use it building projects for shear wall construction because of the problems when the stuff gets wet.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hey RI! Green Hill Beach (summer and fall) here... The Ranger will not be happy- we towed our 19 foot Globetrotter with our '99 Ranger 4wd 4L V6 with a stick, and it was iffy. That's a 2900 pound trailer. You might be okay on rural roads in RI for the time being, but if you take it on the Interstate or mountains, be prepared. Your V6 may have more horsepower than ours did, I think the later ones are overhead cam, ours was a pushrod 160hp version. Congratulations.. I'm sure buying one only a couple of years old there could be very little wrong with it, even if there is a leak, compared to buying a 50s-70s model.

Hi there! Green Hill beach is not far from where we live Do you bring your Airstream there each summer?

Our truck is supposed to be able to tow 6200lbs so we are hoping it will be fine at least for a few years. We will see. The trailer is still sitting at our mechanics and it has been raining since we got her
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Take a look in the trailer forums at the various threads in the International section about their 22' CCDs. You can then read threads from other owners. As you'd guess, some have had varying experiences with the floor.

I agree with Globie64 - even if you have to fix the floor, you're still far ahead work-wise from redoing a vintage trailer from the ground up.

Tom

Hi Tom!

Wish we found these forums before we bought her...not sure if we would have made a different decision as to buying it or not but we would have made an educated decision Now that we have her we'll do our best fixing her up!

Gail and Robert
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Everyone needs a first trailer to learn about them, and what you really want. That may well be many years down the road. This is a nifty design with some design/build problems but quite usable. Use it, learn its limits, and don't stick big money into it. Assuming you got it for a decent price and it can give you many years of enjoyment, it's a great buy.

A tow vehicle is only as safe as its driver.

doug k

Thanks Doug for great advice that we will certainly try to take! We just can't wait to get her home and get started.

Gail and Robert
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
dkottum, I'm curious, what big money are you thinking about? I don't know anything about the construction of the newer rigs, but I assumed that maintained they should last the way the older ones have? Personally, I love the CCDs (Chris Deam teaches where I went to architecture school) but I think you're right, you find what works for you personally, more or less room, more or less to tow and take care of, and trade accordingly. Ornstream, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your Airstream, more than you imagined.
Robert is an architect too! I do believe architects are attracted to the Airstream design...

Gail and Robert
Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Greetings from another former Rhode Islander (summers in South County on Beach near Misquamicut..) The challenge around the OSB or manufactured plywood substitute used in some Airstream Flooring is that the resin was supposed to be waterproof, but wasn't really, and the OSB material is not recommended or any "exterior" applications in construction withot additional membrane or waterproofing protections. Once it does get wet from leaks in shell or around windows or door or bath, it goes spongey pretty quick.. Fixing requires cutouts and patches and re-waterproofing.. Not enough to upset your plans for this summer, as it is a slow problem, not a crisis, though wet spongey state wil continue to spread...
Nice to find another Rhode Islander! We live about a half hour away from Misquamicut...but then in RI everything is about a half hour away

We are certainly starting to come to the realization that we will most likely be replacing the floor at some point. Just hope it hasn't gotten so bad that we can't use it by August.

Gail and Robert
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
I hate to freak out or disappoint a newbie- i think the emphasis should be on the fun you can have with the trailer, even if you have to make repairs at some point. It's like a boat, just a lot cheaper, there is always going to be something you're going to need to fix, and it becomes a lesson in letting go and enjoying life. I'm serious.
We have a boat too so we do know all about always having to work on it
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi Ornstream- you ARE close. I go to Sosnowski's farm stand in West Kingston, do you know it? I'd love to take the Airstream across country to RI, and will someday. The time is the big thing, we can spare a couple of weeks to drive across with the trailer, but someday. We could have a smallest-state mini-rally with the other Rhode Islanders.

Good luck with the rig, keep us posted on progress!