Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Take a look in the trailer forums at the various threads in the International section about their 22' CCDs. You can then read threads from other owners. As you'd guess, some have had varying experiences with the floor.

I agree with Globie64 - even if you have to fix the floor, you're still far ahead work-wise from redoing a vintage trailer from the ground up.

Tom

Hi Tom!

Wish we found these forums before we bought her...not sure if we would have made a different decision as to buying it or not but we would have made an educated decision Now that we have her we'll do our best fixing her up!

Gail and Robert

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Everyone needs a first trailer to learn about them, and what you really want. That may well be many years down the road. This is a nifty design with some design/build problems but quite usable. Use it, learn its limits, and don't stick big money into it. Assuming you got it for a decent price and it can give you many years of enjoyment, it's a great buy.

A tow vehicle is only as safe as its driver.

doug k

Thanks Doug for great advice that we will certainly try to take! We just can't wait to get her home and get started.

Gail and Robert

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
dkottum, I'm curious, what big money are you thinking about? I don't know anything about the construction of the newer rigs, but I assumed that maintained they should last the way the older ones have? Personally, I love the CCDs (Chris Deam teaches where I went to architecture school) but I think you're right, you find what works for you personally, more or less room, more or less to tow and take care of, and trade accordingly. Ornstream, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your Airstream, more than you imagined.
Robert is an architect too! I do believe architects are attracted to the Airstream design...

Gail and Robert
Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Greetings from another former Rhode Islander (summers in South County on Beach near Misquamicut..) The challenge around the OSB or manufactured plywood substitute used in some Airstream Flooring is that the resin was supposed to be waterproof, but wasn't really, and the OSB material is not recommended or any "exterior" applications in construction withot additional membrane or waterproofing protections. Once it does get wet from leaks in shell or around windows or door or bath, it goes spongey pretty quick.. Fixing requires cutouts and patches and re-waterproofing.. Not enough to upset your plans for this summer, as it is a slow problem, not a crisis, though wet spongey state wil continue to spread...
Nice to find another Rhode Islander! We live about a half hour away from Misquamicut...but then in RI everything is about a half hour away

We are certainly starting to come to the realization that we will most likely be replacing the floor at some point. Just hope it hasn't gotten so bad that we can't use it by August.

Gail and Robert
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I hate to freak out or disappoint a newbie- i think the emphasis should be on the fun you can have with the trailer, even if you have to make repairs at some point. It's like a boat, just a lot cheaper, there is always going to be something you're going to need to fix, and it becomes a lesson in letting go and enjoying life. I'm serious.
We have a boat too so we do know all about always having to work on it
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Hi Ornstream- you ARE close. I go to Sosnowski's farm stand in West Kingston, do you know it? I'd love to take the Airstream across country to RI, and will someday. The time is the big thing, we can spare a couple of weeks to drive across with the trailer, but someday. We could have a smallest-state mini-rally with the other Rhode Islanders.

Good luck with the rig, keep us posted on progress!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
My sister's rented the house again this summer for August, and I'm hoping to get back.. For Globie, I was realy close to putting down deposit on Canadian Maritimes caravan (non-Airstream group..) in late July, and would have stopped in South County on way home.. New England unit does great rallies in RI, including park near Block Island Ferry... Looks like it will be Southwest Airlines into PVD instead...

And for us the rest of Rhode Island was always 45 minutes away, not 30... That about covers corner to corner..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
We're in RI in late July and first half of August. Is the rally in the park in Point Judith, near the BI Ferry there? I wonder if you could take an AS on the BI ferry, there are places there that would be good for boondocking.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
It looks like Pt. Judith Block Island Ferry can handle oversize vehicles with advance reservations for $5.60 per foot of length each way.. Pricey!! Fishermen's Memorial Park is near Pt. Judith Ferry Terminal, and is beautiful... Not sure how Block Islanders would welcome boondockers... (Though out on west end near New Harbor there is so much excitement provided by visiting boaters they may never notice....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi, I thought perhaps at the end farthest from the ferry stop it might be possible to boondock without too much notice. Wow, so it would be about 112.00 to ship the AS each way to the island...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Yep.. Over $100 each way, and no RV park on the island... There are little turnouts on road around west end and new harbor/West Beach area where all the visiting boats anchor out and drink heavily, but local police might not be entirely welcoming... I think they strongly prefer you walk onto ferry and spend the night in one of the restored Inn's in town.. Probably cheaper even in summer...

>> And that fee is for total length including tow vehicle, not just trailer....

Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
actually, I think it is cheaper to stay at one of the inns on the island- we had a nice lunch at the Spring House, on their huge covered porch facing the ocean. I think if you're going out there, one of the big old hotels gives more of the classic New England summer beach atmosphere, as much as I love my trailer.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Fisherman's Memorial State Campground on Pt. Judith road is a great campground. It's close to Galilee & the boat to Block Island. Also Ft. Geddy in Jamestown is also a great campground & on the bay. Have fun!!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Fellow Rhode Islander turned Floridian here....born and raised in Watch Hill...Left at 18 to join the Air Force and never really went back except to visit family. BTW, we built a Block Island Schooner (also known as a Cowhorn Schooner) in the USVI and lived aboard for many years as well. Boats to Land Yachts are a real easy transition. Welcome aboard and enjoy your 'stream!!!