Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Eugene , Oregon
Hello From Oregon

After many months of looking at RVs and TTs, we have finally found THE ONE! It's a 2012 International CCD 28. I am giddy with the vision of wonderful extended weekends, fly fishing, kayaking, biking, and making new friends. We take delivery of this barely used gem next Wednesday and I can't wait to get out of town.

Our list of questions is growing like....sheets for the bed! Is it best to buy the fitted sheets that fit the bed perfectly? I'm sure that it is very easy to assemble more stuff than is needed....what are the good tips? Coffee maker or french press? Camping etiquette? Joining clubs? I've been trying to read the forums since yesterday to glean what I can from them.

Suggestions are always welcomed.

EKKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.You have found the right place here at Airforums for all of the information that you will need to really enjoy Airstreaming.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Welcome and congrats on the new rig. I will throw a vote in for the French Press. Glad to have you with us.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your new Airstream! My advice, is take your new 'stream out for a one night campout not too far from home... put what you think you might need for that "trip" and have a little "shake down" cruise. Then as you prepare dinner, enjoy your evening, sleep, and have breakfast write down all your questions as you think of them... so many things you may ask will be for your lifestyle and everyone is a bit different. The best tip I can give you... go out and have fun! The main thing I would mention, however, is in the kitchen and trailer... glass items can break if bouncing around, so keep things like that packed reasonably well and the be sure the doors to cupboards are closed securely as well as the 'fridge door.

Go out and have fun!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs:
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Bedding Ideas

Congratulations on your new Airstream. I purchased bedding (both sheets and mattress pad) designed to fit my Airstream mattress (queen with rounded bottom corners) from This is most likely the same mattress you will have in your trailer. Their website has a section dedicated to bedding designed to fit the many different sizes and shapes of Airstream mattresses. Quality is good and price is considerably less than for the bedding sold on the the store website. Shipping is generally free as well.
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Welcome Welcome! I love the recommendation of taking your new baby not far from home, just to see what you might need. Wish I had done that!

You asked about sheets and I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the sheets and mattress. I LOVE our dear Atlas but that mattress had to be just about the most uncomfortable thing I have ever "tried" to sleep on. Suggestion----before you throw it out the door, go to Costco and buy a topper. I bought the 2" one and also purchased a set of queen size sheets. You know the bottom is fitted and top is not. OMG I sleep like a baby now in my AS. Actually, it's more comfortable that the bed in our home. Just my two cents on bedroom info. Have fun.

kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler
1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Hi and welcome!!!
We are off soon to Alberta to fly fish, kayaking, biking, white water rafting and what ever else comes up.
The rest is up to you. We treat ours as a second home with weight restrictions, so we pack and distribute the weight accordingly for where we are going. Since this trip will be especially long we will be weighted out.
The one thing we did first was to buy the same mattress that we have at home so we can both feel as if we never left.
Have fun on your maiden voyage! you will find out quickly what you forgot, or what you could do without. Good luck on the fishing!
1975 Sovereign
"The Silver Bullet"
2013 F350 Super Duty 6.7 Liter Diesel
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We bought a memory foam topper, also, from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Makes a huge difference!

My wife and I perk our coffee, but the young adults in our family use a French press when camping.
Bob & Nancy
2005 ASLYG 30 SO
2009 Wrangler Toad
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I vote for a cone and filter!
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Welcome and congratulations!! You'll find lots of Oregonians here on the board
We love our little Bodem french much so that we use it in the house now too! Fast, simple and tastes wonderful.

My Blog and photo diary:

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to Airstreaming and you are rightly excited and giddy, I think each of us has been there, so we understand.

Your maiden voyage/shake-down trip is very important...don't go too far from home ... take phone numbers of the previous owner if you can, or someone who has some trailer experience so you have a "help line" if you need it. Don't be afraid to ask a neighboring camper or camp host to help you if you need it. RVers are a pretty friendly lot.

Go somewhere where you at last water & electrical hookups so you can play with all the systems (even the furnace, even if it's just to make sure it comes on) that for a day or so then disconnect and run on battery power using water from your fresh water tank a while so you'll know how all that works and what is different on battery power ... and that it works right.

And be prepared for dumping your holding tanks at the end of the trip. If you happen to have a site with sewer hookups you can practice at your site. (Perhaps less intimidating than the dump station at least there won't be anyone waiting in line behind you.)

Do keep a list of what you need to outfit your rig and questions that come up...

But most of all, have fun and enjoy the new adventure! might want to contact a WBCCI unit near you and see if you can attend a rally as a guest to check that out. Rally camping is a completely different beast than solo camping, but just as much fun... If you like the group experience and like to socialize in that way you can find a unit that you fit into well and that you enjoy.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
We're satisfied with a standard set of queen sized sheets, just kind of tuck the excess of the fitted sheet under the mattress - no problems.

I use a french press both on the road and at home - wouldn't switch to anything else.

"The bad news: there is no key to the universe.
The good news: it was never locked."
Swami Beyondananda
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote