Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
between ottawa & Toronto , Ontario
Hello from Ontario Canada!

Hello everyone! I have a 75 tradewind that I've been renovating over the last five years. I've learned a lot of lessons over that time and I've spent countless hours reading the forums. I spent almost an entire summer under my trailer removing the belly pan, scraping and por15 rust painting and before ordering new skins and replacing. one tip, I used small gauge roofing screws with a foam washer to secure the belly in most area's instead of rivets for easy access later...trust me, there will be a later!

I've replaced the axles and tires. Removed all of the interior wall panels at the front along with the olympic rivets that were leaking which caused a large section of floor to rot. Before replacing the floor I applied ecopoxy over all sides and top of plywood before installing to waterproof.

Recently, I have been learning how to buck rivet (solid buck rivets to replace the olympics I removed) and then I'll re-insulate with prodex foil insulation and replace the wall panel so maybe we can finally go camping!!

When you begin renovating an Airstream trailer it can sometimes feel like you're peeling back layers of an onion...you often find something new that needs repairing you never expected!

Good luck to everyone in your restoring efforts and don't forget to wear some eye protection!
SlvrStream75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Welcome! Newbies from Toronto, here, though we aren't restoring. Just no space in the city for it. Love hearing these stories about bringing these beauties back to form.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Welcome from Niagara on the Lake!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good to hear of your reno work. We too spent many hours on our 73 and there is so much more we can do. Bon Echo is one of our favourite Parks. Bet you have been there too.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Shakopee , Minnesota
Smile Welcome

Welcome neighbor. I know the onion theory. I bought mine with a few issues. When I got it home the layers started to be exposed. I also learned to buck rivet. On my first try on scrap metal the rivet went right thru the metal. Ops to much pressure. I was a year before I took it on the road. There were minor water leaks under the floor. I think I got them taken care of. It really feels good to be done and know what you have. This year I decided to grease the wheel bearings. When I pulled one drum off I found grease on the break linings. The seal had leaked. Just another layer.
Howard
TimeForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
between ottawa & Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for all the feedback! Haven't been camping anywhere yet with the trailer. Bon Echo sounds like a great park to check out. Looking forward to finally camping later this month at Sandbanks ON. That is, if I can finish a long list of items that need to be accomplished in the next 3 weeks! I've been recruiting a lot of help this past month from friends and family to speed things up a bit.
SlvrStream75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Welcome Slvrstream75. We're new owners as well from Niagara. We've been campers for many years, previously part of the Motorhome set. I'm not sure how far you are from NY state, but I can't recommend the State Parks there enough. Especially Allegany and Letchworth. It might be a bit of a haul, but you will not be disappointed. Up until our dollar took a dive they were also amazing deals compared to parks in Ontario. Averaging $25 USD a night for an electric site in ASP with ample tree coverage and lots to do. We also just got back from a 2 week trip that took us up through Matawa to Quebec then over to Ausable Chasm in NY and Burlington, VT. Vermont is a must, must do, especially if you like craft beer. Though the state parks don't have electric or water sites. I'd recommend North Beach right in downtown Burlington. You have great beach on lake champlain and a bike path that is 5mins to the city! Hope you and your trailer enjoy many adventures in the coming years! Mike
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
London , Ontario
Welcome to the forums, glad to see more people from Ontario on here.
Yes, Road Ruler is right, Bon Echo is a great place to go. We've also Been to the Sandbanks.
See you at the Park.
1975 Argosy 20 mh
1979 Travelux 21' Snowbird
Evalu8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Welcome to the forum - from the other side of Ontario - you know - the one on the backside of the map .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote