Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
Smile

Doh! Small world.. Don't tell Andi about my trailer! I like keeping things a surprise from the SF staff until they actually show up in Gerlach... Most of which only come out here for the event. This will be my 15th Burn, and 13th working with them. 9th as year around staff. I'm Taz on comm.. But I live on the TIT channel during the event. Or sometimes DPW 3, which the whopping 4 of us in NV that are year around staff use.

C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomster View Post
Hey Tazameir,

welcome to the fold. While we're delurking, I too work for the man. I've been a Burning Man Media Team Captain for the past 13 years, and have been visiting with a 196 Overlander for 5 years now.

I'm at Media Mecca (radio handle: Yoms). Hope to catch up with you on the Playa!.

Y

Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Ahaaa. Wont say a word. I may head out for our pre-burn shindig in July. Hope to see you there?

Will you be storing your trailer at the Ranch? Mine is stashed in Reno for the time being.

Y

Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Cool

Heck no! My old trailer which I stored at the ranch was hit and dinged more times then I can recall. I own a house in Gerlach. I'll be storing it there. As for Juplaya, I'm not 100% sure yet. I usually do, but I also like a break once in a while. I have an email list for it though if I do decide to go out. I'd usually pull internet out there, and work a bit.. Also I'd set up the drive-in screen like I did last year.

C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomster View Post
Ahaaa. Wont say a word. I may head out for our pre-burn shindig in July. Hope to see you there?

Will you be storing your trailer at the Ranch? Mine is stashed in Reno for the time being.

Y
Old 02-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I went out to Juplaya last year, didn't ask around before hand, didn't meet up with anybody. Turns out about everybody I know on DMV was out there, and everybody else. Certainly plan on going this year but not sure if I'll take the Silver Dragon, I could camp in my truck for a day or two. It sure is fun just driving, say that way, as you want, the speed you want, just be cognizant of maybe driving into the down range of somebodies firing range. Might be fun to go watch the amateur rocketry bunch farther down playa sometime.
Don't let it out if you have internet capabilities out there, that's in the middle of our big DMV Mutant Vehicles processing crunch and the Committee would sure use your up link and process a bunch of Mutants while they're out there that weekend.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
If I do go out there, I'm easy to find. I always camp where BM will occur that year. Reason is I *would* be testing the internet connection and I would actually WANT people to use it. So if you see a group of campers/RV's a drive-in screen a couple of porta potties and an AS right about 2-3 miles out from 12 mile obviously that would be my group.
C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I went out to Juplaya last year, didn't ask around before hand, didn't meet up with anybody. Turns out about everybody I know on DMV was out there, and everybody else. Certainly plan on going this year but not sure if I'll take the Silver Dragon, I could camp in my truck for a day or two. It sure is fun just driving, say that way, as you want, the speed you want, just be cognizant of maybe driving into the down range of somebodies firing range. Might be fun to go watch the amateur rocketry bunch farther down playa sometime.
Don't let it out if you have internet capabilities out there, that's in the middle of our big DMV Mutant Vehicles processing crunch and the Committee would sure use your up link and process a bunch of Mutants while they're out there that weekend.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazameir View Post
If I do go out there, I'm easy to find. I always camp where BM will occur that year. Reason is I *would* be testing the internet connection and I would actually WANT people to use it. So if you see a group of campers/RV's a drive-in screen a couple of porta potties and an AS right about 2-3 miles out from 12 mile obviously that would be my group.
C.
Oh cool, I'm hearing a Juplaya expedition coming on! Last year on Juplaya I ran into some DPW guys just setting in a truck in the sun out there, close to where I picked up my playa dust sample for my Airstreameri and Geologists presentation. Then Monday after the burn I ran into them again while I was looking at the ashes at the Man base. They said I had met them in July a few hundred feet from same spot.
When does the committee decide where the Man is going to be each year?

NevadaGeo
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Oh cool, I'm hearing a Juplaya expedition coming on! Last year on Juplaya I ran into some DPW guys just setting in a truck in the sun out there, close to where I picked up my playa dust sample for my Airstreameri and Geologists presentation. Then Monday after the burn I ran into them again while I was looking at the ashes at the Man base. They said I had met them in July a few hundred feet from same spot.
When does the committee decide where the Man is going to be each year?

DPW are a unique bunch. I've been involved in the DPW for 15 years now. WAY longer then most of em.. Give em beer and they'll work hard in that hot sun for hours on end. (The Beer comes after work!). There is no "committee" on where the man is placed. The BLM dictates where we will have the city, which the man is the center pin. We currently are on a 2 year cycle where we rotate between 2 locations. So this year we'll be in the same spot as 2009.
The first week of August several of us will go out with a GPS or 5 and determine the center pin location, also true north. Then we'll have a little gathering for the center pin placement, and finally survey takes over. A week later we start to build the city, and install the fence, etc. The fence is put up in 1 day if you can believe that. 7.5 miles of it... It's a process, but we have most all of it down to a science.

C.
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
tucson , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to Chollabill
Size does matter

taz, welcome to the wonderful world of a/s. I have been around Airstreams since I was a baby (not tellin' how long). We've had a 28' A/S an 18' Casita and 13' Tab. We now have a 16' Bambi and I'm here to tell ya size does matter . As far as I'm concerned the smaller the better. Easier and cheaper to tow and fewer places to dust and clean. We loved the small Tab but really wanted a shower so went with the Bambi. It's like momma bears porridge, just right. You really don't a lot of room. The idea of trailering is to be outside, hiking, biking or just sitting under the awning during a rainstorm enjoying a beverage of choice. the trailer is a place to sleep, cook and clean yourself up. As far as I'm concerned any space for anything else is wasted. Hope to meet you at the Burn, Chollabill
Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Just want to say welcome to Tazameir.

I haven't been to BM for a number of years now. I lived in the Gerlach area (North about 50 miles on Duck Flat) for many years. I went to the very first BM held on the playa, wasn't very large back then (92 I think it was) only about 100 people.

Before BM a bunch of us locals used to have a huge Memorial Day party with different themes (Croquet X Machina, The Tube Rodeo, et al) As I remember some of our friends from SF were Cachophony Society members and that's about the time they were getting hassled on the beaches in SF. Not certain but I always assumed it was some of them that spread the word about the playa.

Anyway BM has sure grown from those days. I knew Doobie (Dwayne Williams) very well. We were good friends and I helped him build a few of the pieces on Doobie Lane. Lots of heavy rock transporting. He carved them all by himself though.

I still have my own rock there as well. "The Man with a Vision" He told me the tales of how he came to build the various monuments out in the desert, but I won't go into that here. It's a long story but one I will remember for all time. I got married at the wedding chapel on the Lane and Doobie was at my wedding. What an event!

I'm planning on relocating back to the area in the next year. I still drop in and visit friends in Gerlach and up in Surprise Valley and vicinity. If you see me in town (1993 black and Red AS Land Yacht MH) flag me down and say hello. I usually go out to Planet X and hang out for awhile. I'm not much for crowds these days.

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Finally got the AS plugged into power, and it looks like everything works! I still need to remove and fill the propane bottles, and check if the fridge works on it or not, and make some decisions on what I'm going to do if anything to the beds, and kitchen table area. I'd rather have a futon there, but for now, I may leave it as is. Tomorrow I plan on pulling and tossing out the carpet, as it's pretty bad.. Then a good wipe down on the inside will be next. Also still need to replace several of the screens, clean the windows, and make some new curtains. Trying to get it ready to use for memorial day. Oh, and I need to run through the brakes, and bearings. It made some grinding noises when I towed it home. I hear it's supposed to snow this weekend. If that's the case I'll probably work on it then. No gnats! If the weather is nice, you get eaten alive this time of year outside!!! Overall it all looks pretty promising though. Just will take me a couple of years to get it to 100%.
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Well here it is a day later.. I made some decisions today. Bed area up front removed! Carpet and floor tiles removed! Kitchen eating area removed! Water tank (was an old hot water heater tank!) removed! Along with alot of other random things I don't really need or want in there, like some towel racks in the shower area, and some weird side flip toilet cover thing. I've seen it on other 65's so it's probably stock. The bed and kitchen area didnt look too good for the workmanship, so I'm guessing they were add-ons. Oh, and I broke the freezer cover in the fridge. I think it was too brittle, as I really didn't do anything to it other then open it. It was freezing in there as well. So that's getting added to my list of things I need.
I think for now my only rush items I'm going to try to do before memorial day is figure out what new fresh water tank to put in there, and run some new pex instead of copper to the rear of the trailer. Also go shopping later this week for screen material and curtain material. I have a few nights of sewing ahead of me! Also I plan on building a queen size bed platform where the old 2 side narrow beds were and the water tank.

A few things I'm sorta stumped on, but I'll search the forum to learn more on are how the power cable is supposed to be run, and how the electrical in general works. There are 2 battery posts in the rear that are getting power, and I do not see any ports to run the 110 through. So as it stands I have the rear cover off completely while I have it plugged in.

C.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I think I've read where someone made their freezer cover after not finding one. Wonderful that you've got cold!
Was snowing here off and on today, frozen hard on my white truck hood this evening. Spring not supposed to come back till Wednesday.
So I put the tomatoes out...yesterday.

NevadaGeo
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
For us here in Gerlach, it's been a great break from the gnats! I got a ton of bites from only being outside a few minutes at a time last week. Then had to go to some BM meetings in the bay area (wifi summit) and missed out on more bites.. Darn! heh.. But we had snow too from 5-8 this morning.. All melted by noon of course. But, no gnats today!

As for the fridge I'll most likely do the same and fabricate a new cover for the freezer out of metal. Only if it works on propane. Haven't tested that yet. Great excuse to pick up a brake though!

Bummer on your tomatoes... Hopefully they'll survive!

Trailer update.. Today only finished the floor tile tear out, and more of the kitchen seating. Also decided to paint the floor as it stands, and also decided to build a temporary bed platform and a temp kitchen seating platform for this summer. I'll need to figure out an AC unit for the summer as well, and need to do some wire fishing as there was no roof mounted AC prior. I'll get a table saw in the fall, and build some nicer permanent cabinets for the kitchen and front bed space over the fall/winter.

Projects galore!

C.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazameir View Post
... I'll need to figure out an AC unit for the summer as well, and need to do some wire fishing as there was no roof mounted AC prior. ...
I don't know about the '60s, but the '70s models all have a drain line and power installed up to the AC location, whether or not they actually had an AC from the factory.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote