Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Hello from new member

My wife and I are seriously thinking of buying a new Bambi Sport 16. The floor plan looks perfect for us. Currently we tow a 15 foot Trillium but want something with a fixed toilet. I must say that after reading some of the posts here it seems that Airstreams have major leaking issues and that it is a constant struggle to try and keep leaks repaired. Is this impression accurate? How is the access to the plumbing? Are the pipes, fixtures and connections easy to see to monitor for leaks?

Thanks,
Worried shoppers
D Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
To be honest, I don't think the maintenance is more or less than my last trailer as to leaks. I am more attentive to the AS as it is my "forever" trailer. My old Prowler was built to be disposable. I had it for 17 years and had floor rot, wall rot, replaced the roof membrane, fixed window leaks. Sound familiar? Rvs are Rvs, but the AS is at least built to be more easily rebuild-able, and are not really disposable, unless seriously neglected.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Thanks Rich. I agree, and am detail oriented and handy with most repairs. I guess I had always thought Airstream would be more "top shelf" in construction and detail work. Could you say a few words about ease of access to systems and components? It is much easier to monitor and do preventative maintenance if one doesn't have to tear the unit apart to visually inspect.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, The interior cabinetry and craftsmanship is far superior to most others. Now, mind you I have a classic, but there is NO particle board anywhere. Cabinet faces are solid hickory and "innerds" are good quality ply. While there are some assembly "misses" with the assembly line workers, it's no more or less than others. There's no wood anywhere in the shell, so when leaks occur, at least you don't have to worry about inaccessible wood framing dry rotting after the leak is fixed. As much as we complain about wood floors and potential rotting, if you start with a new(er) unit, you can easily monitor and repair before rot occurs. Rot comes from long term exposure and remaining wet for extended periods. I use water alarms in common "puddling" areas and have caught several leaks in their infancy. Proper scheduled sealer examination and replacement around windows, doors etc. reduces surprises.

The components of an AS, like fridges, h2o heaters, pumps, furnace, A/C, etc. are common to the industry and no different. Electronics are common as well. Access is OK, but I am used to working in tight places on cars, so I find it not much of a challenge to maintain/repair components.

I have never found anything I couldn't do myself.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Remember, people are motivated to post what they are irritated about and refrain from being motivated to post about all the "right" things. I have my last trailer, unless I wreck it....and I'm only 54. If I made my disposable Prowler last 17 years, this one will be passed down to another generation and keep going.

BTW, My Prowler is now a hunting "cabin" down in Missouri somewhere. They'll get another 5 - 10 out of it, I'd guess.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I own a 16 foot Sport Bambi. I hear what you're saying. If I heard this for the first time I would have the same reluctance. Going back to when I was a child my parents having a camper and me as an adult with other camper other than airstream find all have their flaws. However now owning an airstream I wouldn't go back to anything else. My wife and I enjoy it a great deal. The kids call us now to see if we are at home usually because they want to borrow something and the granddaughters, usual comment is you are never home anymore. That should give you some idea of how much we enjoy it. Best of luck in your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Thanks folks. Just for my info, from those of you that have newer Bambi models, what, if any, issues have you experienced?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter comes over and the first thing she says is, "Gandps's tailor?"

Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I have a 2015 16' Sport and have no problems to report.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

bonita springs , florida
Welcome to the forum
sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We have a 87 Sovereign, the last leak was a water fitting that had been rubbing the frame since the factory. Not bad for a 26 year old trailer. All the other leaks have been at a hole cut through the exterior skin. The guys at P&S trailer say that is where Airstreams leak.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Remember, people are motivated to post what they are irritated about and refrain from being motivated to post about all the "right" things. I have my last trailer, unless I wreck it....and I'm only 54. If I made my disposable Prowler last 17 years, this one will be passed down to another generation and keep going.

BTW, My Prowler is now a hunting "cabin" down in Missouri somewhere. They'll get another 5 - 10 out of it, I'd guess.
As a member of the Forest River forums, you are correct. Most people use the forums to vent thier frustrations and bash the manufacturer for issues. When you look into their issues, it's generally misuse and poor maintenance. RV's are no different than a new house as there is plenty to do there. We were told years ago RV's are rolling earthquakes and need attention.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Thanks everyone. The content of your comments was very helpful and pretty much what I expected and have experienced. My wife and I just signed a deal on a 2015 sport 16 and look forward to getting to know it...warts and all.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Congratulations my wife and I purchased ours in November 2014 (16' Sport). I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You have to consider that you're dragging this machine, and it is a machine, down the highway. It moves, it expands in the heat contracts in the cold, doors get slammed, awnings get blown about. Pretty much, it's going to leak sooner or later.

Just have to stay ahead of it. After or during a heavy rain I am all over my rig with flashlight looking for the slightest hint of water intrusion. I also poke around with my scratch awl looking for soft subfloor.

And, because it's a 1986 and has traveled tens of thousands of miles, every other year or so I find somebody with a SealTech machine to double check my work. Usually, a little leak or so is found underneath where the awning rail is attached. So far, nothing else has turned up.

I love my airstream, it just needs a little TLC every now and then.

Enjoy the journey,

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
We are on our way home after picking up our new 16 Sport from JD Sanders in FL. Tonight is our 13th and so far we really like it and have no problems to report (except for that noisy fridge vent fan which I unhooked until a new one can be installed). Slept through two nights of heavy rain with no leaks that I can find. The interior design is perfect for two folks who like to travel light. Thanks to everyone on this site for all the valuable information.

Dan Greene