Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , New Jersey
Hello from New Jersey...

Hello Airstreamers!

A little about myself. I grew up around RVís. My grandparents had one since as far back as I can remember. In fact they toured the country in an Itasca. Grandma doesnít have one now, and grandpa is long gone. But their love of RVís transferred to my mom who had a couple RVís. My family never had an Airstream, and growing up I was more or less told that they were ďoverpriced.Ē

Well my husband didnít have the blessed childhood I did. Donít feel too bad for him, he did camp in caves and all sorts of things as a child, but RV life, well lets just say I canít picture my mother in law in an RVÖ without some serious complaint. I should add, she never camped in the caves.

So it stands to reason when I dragged my husband to the Hershey RV show 3 years ago I set the bar low. My goal was to show him that RVís are not bad, and that they could be just as much fun as tent camping or cave campingÖ not that I would ever camp in a cave! Well he left there with the desire to eventually get an RV that was twice the price of our house! Thankfully he came to right mind, after we got home.

We have turned the Hershey show into an annual event with our (now) 4 year old demanding we go every year. I will admit we do love looking at RVís.

This year, we realized that if we were ever going to get something, it needed to fit certain criteria. 1) it needed to fit all of us reasonably well (family of 6, and a 25 lbs dog)
2) easy to boon dock in - we have family all over this great country of ours and need to be able to get to them
3) need to be able to tow it in a vehicle that will fit all of us

We looked closely at the quality of all the RVís. You know after going every year, we realized that we just needed to dial in on our needs. We saw RVís that were begging for a window, that had none. TONS of wasted space all over. Who needs a walk in pantry in an RV? TVís bigger than what we have at homeÖ we are camping. Children should be outside. Finally, I told hubby to go into an Airstream and see if he could see the difference. Both of us could, right away! It was clear, no wasted space, windows everywhereÖ now I get it! They are worth the price!

I have spent the last 3 years just trying to wrap my head around what I think we need to pull a trailer. My problem is we live in New Jersey. Yeah there are trucks around here, but the average person doesnít drive them unless they have a farm. I live in a populated area (though I do have landÖ no condo for us!) and that doesnít seem practical. Not to mention, I donít think they seat 6 (though we are not quite a family of 6 yet).

I think next year we will get our tow vehicle. I am looking at the Nissan NV (350 with back up camera). I figure the only Airstream that would fit us would be the Flying Cloud 30 FB Bunk. I am a bit nervous about it working well together though. Technically the Airstream is rated for about 200 pounds more than the NV is able to tow. Should I worry?

If this is scary, what would you recommend for us? The tow vehicle would turn into my car. So I would be transporting all the kids in it daily. I am open to anything. I just want to make sure we make the right choice the first time.

Thank you for the help!