Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sandstone , Minnesota
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Hello from Minnesota~New Here & Hopefully Future Airstream Owners :)

We are planning to become full-timers in about a year, once our youngest graduates from high school and we get him settled in at college next August.

We started out with an RV Edition Ice Castle, that we loved, but then our friends were selling their 5th Wheel, that we had always admired, for a price we couldn't pass up, and so that is what we currently have. We have been having fun remodeling and updating it, but it is a lot to pull, a lot to set up and take down with the slides, and unfortunately the quality of RV's in general is disappointing. We are planning to finish it up and sell it. We both like the vintage/retro camping look, and while looking for decorating ideas, I came across the Airstreams (I actually didn't even know that they still made them). I fell in love with them! I would LOVE to have the Pendleton Limited Edition, but unfortunately, all 100 were already sold by the time I found out about them. I am a little obsessed with them though, and hope to have one someday

My husband likes the Airstreams, but doesn't quite share the same passion for them that I do, yet We went to see them in person, and their quality, design, and timelessness is impressive.

I could get lost for days reading all the good information here. I am really interested in reading about others' experiences with their Airstreams, especially tips on traveling and living in them full-time. It's also helpful to hear about what size, year, and model of Airstreams that people have, and what they like or don't like about them.

So for now, we are just watching and waiting for the right Airstream to come along. Until then, we will enjoy reading about, and learning from, what others have to share about their Airstream experiences
__________________

__________________
BeLeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
dbj216's Avatar

 
1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,685
Hello from Colorado and welcome to AirForums. We lived in Minnesota for over 25 years, moving there from Iowa. Both are nice states to live in. Colorado is nice too.

The wife's folks purchased the 86 Limited new. I distinctly remember seeing it for the first time and thinking: wow, this thing is like a luxury business jet. They traveled extensively with it for 20 years during their retirement. Now we are doing the samething in the same trailer.

We find the Airstream trailer long lived and well built. They tow better than a big fifth wheel. And they are a unique design that goes back over 80 years. An Airstream is a hobby as well as a travel trailer. There are a lot of clubs and rallies just for Airstream owners.

All kinds of people live full time in all kinds of trailers. Doing it in an Airstream is a bit more challenging due to the small size and the marginal insulation. Staying warm during a Minnesota winter night is a challenge. But if you travel to temperate climates during the right seasons, then an Airstream is just fine. For example, Texas in the winter and Minnesota in the summer.

We just returned from a nice trip through northern Colorado and western Wyoming. I was walking the puppy in our last RV park and took special note of all the space they had rented to "extended stay" folks. You can spot them with their oversized propane tanks and the stuff under the trailers. Most of them were fifth wheels. I did see two Airstreams that were extended stay looking.

Our trailer is 30 years old. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to full timing. The furnaces are not very efficient and built for low cast. Same with the water heater. Airstreamers are on a constant virgle for rain water leaks. City water into the trailer is a hose connected to the RV site that needs heated in the winter, and many folks have difficulty with the sewer discharge lines leaking and freezing.

Some Airstreamers share their full time budgets, and many are in the $3000 or more a month. Several are less. You can find that information in detail here on AirForums.

I tried to be objective about full timing in an Airstream. I think it sounds more romantic than it actually is. I think long, cross country exploratory trips are great and what Airstreams do best. But it is nice to get home too.

David
__________________

__________________
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
Dalwyn's Avatar

 
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 195
Welcome to the forums.
__________________
Dalwyn
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sandstone , Minnesota
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
David,

Thank you for the welcome and information

You definitely hit the nail on the head about how challenging Minnesota winters can be, especially in any type of RV. The Minnesota winters are probably our biggest challenge. Our two boys, ages 21 & 18, will still be here along with our parents (mine just moved up here from Kansas to be closer to us). We have been trying to figure out how to spend the winter holidays ~ Thanksgiving & Christmas with family. Also, I don't want our boys to not have a 'home base' ~ AKA place to bring a month's worth of laundry for mom to do Right now they are both still living at home. I tell them they should come along, they could pull a smaller version, like a 16' Bambi and travel with us, but <sigh> they don't want anything to do with that idea We have been trying to think of options, like possibly renting our house out, or getting something small to stay in while in MN, possibly an apartment, or just keeping the house and traveling as much as possible. Right now we are just kind of tired of the extensive upkeep and time our house takes. I think you're right, full-timing does sound romantic. I tend to think of it as 'riding off into the sunset'! I am really looking forward to reading all the different ways that others handle similar situations. Hopefully we will figure out something that works good for us and our family.

I think it is so cool that you guys are using the same Airstream that your wife's folks used. That is why Airstreams are so fun to have!

I love Colorado. I grew up in Kansas, so we took many family vacations driving to Colorado in the summers. Some favorite destinations were Grand Lake Lodge, Estes Park, Colorado Springs, Aspen, Vail, & many other beautiful places, as well as many adventure filled tent camping trips to the Gunnison, Tin Cup, & Taylor Reservoir areas. We were able to take our boys and my parents back out to Grand Lake several years ago, and it was one of the best vacations ever! Colorado is at the top of our list of the first places we want to go.

So many choices and things to consider. Again, thank you for your thoughts and advice, as well as sharing your Airstream experiences. My favorite way to learn and make informed decisions is to do research and to listen to the tips/information/advice of those who have 'been there and done that'!

~Erica
__________________
BeLeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Airstreamer In Training
 
FCStreamer's Avatar

 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 995
Blog Entries: 1
Welcome! Hope to see you in an Airstream soon!
__________________
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeeZ View Post
David,

Thank you for the welcome and information

You definitely hit the nail on the head about how challenging Minnesota winters can be, especially in any type of RV. The Minnesota winters are probably our biggest challenge. Our two boys, ages 21 & 18, will still be here along with our parents (mine just moved up here from Kansas to be closer to us). We have been trying to figure out how to spend the winter holidays ~ Thanksgiving & Christmas with family. Also, I don't want our boys to not have a 'home base' ~ AKA place to bring a month's worth of laundry for mom to do Right now they are both still living at home. I tell them they should come along, they could pull a smaller version, like a 16' Bambi and travel with us, but <sigh> they don't want anything to do with that idea We have been trying to think of options, like possibly renting our house out, or getting something small to stay in while in MN, possibly an apartment, or just keeping the house and traveling as much as possible. Right now we are just kind of tired of the extensive upkeep and time our house takes. I think you're right, full-timing does sound romantic. I tend to think of it as 'riding off into the sunset'! I am really looking forward to reading all the different ways that others handle similar situations. Hopefully we will figure out something that works good for us and our family.

I think it is so cool that you guys are using the same Airstream that your wife's folks used. That is why Airstreams are so fun to have!

I love Colorado. I grew up in Kansas, so we took many family vacations driving to Colorado in the summers. Some favorite destinations were Grand Lake Lodge, Estes Park, Colorado Springs, Aspen, Vail, & many other beautiful places, as well as many adventure filled tent camping trips to the Gunnison, Tin Cup, & Taylor Reservoir areas. We were able to take our boys and my parents back out to Grand Lake several years ago, and it was one of the best vacations ever! Colorado is at the top of our list of the first places we want to go.

So many choices and things to consider. Again, thank you for your thoughts and advice, as well as sharing your Airstream experiences. My favorite way to learn and make informed decisions is to do research and to listen to the tips/information/advice of those who have 'been there and done that'!

~Erica
I grew up going to Camp Nathaniel in Hinckley. We used to go up to Sandstone to climb at the quarry there. Just wanted to say hi and welcome!
__________________
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12,098
Welcome!

I have friends in Sandstone, you probably know them.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
dbj216's Avatar

 
1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,685
Hi beLeeZ, Gee you know Colorado quite well. The Minnesota winters are pretty, and go by more quickly when we have winter activities like ice fishing, cross country skiing, hockey, snowmobiling, and the like. Colorado mountain winters are also pretty and much snowier, but not a cold. I loved being in the woods on my skis in the winter. So quiet!

We moved here as both of our grown sons moved here. They don't know it yet but the plan is for them to watch out for us when we get old and frail. Let's see, what assisted living spot should we pick for Mom and Dad? And how do we tell Dad he ain't driving anymore? Here is our Airstream on Granby Lake just down the road from Grand Lake. There is so much of Colorado to explore.

I suspect you are a close knit family. Yes, Airstreams for all and we will do family caravaning. Like ours, your Airstream can be a "family jewel" passed down from one generation to the next. Find the right Airstream for your family and hit I-35 southbound for a few weeks to make the winter shorter.

David

PS I don't tow the Airstream on snow or ice covered roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1609 Gamby Sunset Point 1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	272472  
__________________
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,641
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I grew up going to Camp Nathaniel in Hinckley. We used to go up to Sandstone to climb at the quarry there. Just wanted to say hi and welcome!

That's interesting. I'm camped at St Croix State Park just across the street right now.



Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
That's interesting. I'm camped at St Croix State Park just across the street right now.



Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Such great memories! Except the mosquitos... I don't miss the mosquitos! It's a great time to be camping. Are the trees changing color yet?
__________________
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,641
Images: 59
Trees have just started to turn. Mosquitos are still obnoxious. Can't wait for the first freeze.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sandstone , Minnesota
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I grew up going to Camp Nathaniel in Hinckley. We used to go up to Sandstone to climb at the quarry there. Just wanted to say hi and welcome!
The quarry is still a popular place to go! Lots of fun stuff to do in the area.

The trees should be hitting peak around here in the next few weeks. I can't believe summer is over already, but you're right, it is a great time to camp!
__________________
BeLeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:21 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sandstone , Minnesota
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Welcome!

I have friends in Sandstone, you probably know them.


Maggie
It's funny what a small world it is. I probably do know them, or at least of them. It's a nice community here, lots of good people
__________________
BeLeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sandstone , Minnesota
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
That's interesting. I'm camped at St Croix State Park just across the street right now.



Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We have friends who camp there every fall, it's their favorite place to camp this time of year. I've never been there, but every year I say we need to go there for a few days.........
__________________

__________________
BeLeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hopefully headed for Maine... kidsgone On The Road... 10 09-05-2011 05:53 PM
I shall return!...........hopefully Van Our Community 7 09-08-2008 02:22 PM
Updating Tanks (hopefully) Bobolo Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 1 03-16-2005 08:22 PM
Help (hopefully!) with the solar package :confused: CaliforniaStreamin Generators & Solar Power 4 12-10-2004 08:22 PM
Hello classic owners! New guy here. Suburban1968 Airstream Trailer Forums 5 05-04-2004 06:55 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.