Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
grand rapids , Michigan
Hello from Michigan

I would like to introduce myself and acknowledge that I have been lurking on this forum for... well, quite some time. My wife Mary, RN and I, School Psychologist are lifelong RV enthusiasts and currently reside in our membership park in an 86 Excella during the summer at Holiday Park Campground in Traverse City, MI. I'm fairly certain that there are some neighbors here, because our campground has been an "Airstream Park" since the mid-70s, probably one of the last ones in the nation. Mary and I are very active outdoors and when the urge strikes, we haul our other trailer an 02 Scamp 16 around the country looking for excitement. At this point, retirement plans are taking shape and we hope to acquire a 25-27 foot used Airstream to add to our fleet. For the right situation, we would be willing to travel during the summer to inspect a quality unit that may need some TLC. I would also be willing to give an opinion to others, who may be interested in learning more about potential purchases in West Michigan, primarily around the Grand Rapids or Traverse City areas. My wife thinks that I'm a loner, but I consider myself to be a RecLoose.

Don
RecLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Hey Don, glad to see another MI Airstreamer. My wife and I are planning to head up to Holiday Park this summer to check it out. Best of luck hunting.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Welcome to the forums. Always glad to 'hear' from other Michiganers. I was transplanted to California in 1952 by my parents from Detroit and Boyne City. I loved growing up in the Wolverine state.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Welcome to the forums, Dan! I'm sure you'll find more good Airstream information concentrated here than you'll ever be able to absorb. (I'm still absorbing!)

One thing I've always liked about the forums is the willingness of knowledgeable members to inspect trailers at a distance for prospective buyers. There is a kind of checklist of things to watch for in older ones, pretty much as you'd expect from any brand that has been around for quite a while. So if you find one, let us know first so that perhaps one of us can jump over and take a peek before you wind up crossing country for all the wrong reasons.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Lynn
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to airforums.com, Don and Mary up in the UP!

How about some photos of that fabled Airstream Park? I've heard lots about the few that still exist, but pictures are few and far between.

Glad to see that you "decloaked" and came out of lurk mode. It's way more fun being able to ask questions and share your knowledge.

One last thing, why limit yourself to 27'? You won't pay any more for the last four feet, and the added storage and lounging space can sure come in useful...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Lots of MI folks

Michigan has lots of great Airstreamers! We really enjoy joining the Metro-Detroit bunch for the informal airforums rally that they have in August. As a matter of fact there is a new thread that has been posted by "dragnwagon" who is our usual host. Metro-Detroit 2011 will be fun. We are hoping that Dave will soon post the date and place. Join us!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Howdy! We have an Airstream Park in Michigan? I didn't know that! Cool. Brad and I will have to get ourselves over there sometime. Welcome to the forums.

Carol

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I remember a thread 3 or even 4 years ago for an attempted AS rally within a former drive-in movie. I think it was to be in the Saginaw area. Did that ever happen?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The drive-in rally plan sounds familiar, but not sure of the time or place or recall having it here in Michigan. We had several Louapaloozas and some Rivette rallies 3-4 years ago that I helped host. Maybe someone else remembers the drive-in rally. That does sound neat!

Also we have the Tin Can Tourists annual rallies in Milford at Camp Dearborn every spring and fall. Lots of Airstreamers there too, May 19th to 22nd, 2011 for the 14th Annual Gathering. http://www.tincantourists.com/rallyregistration.php

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Hi Don,
Ill be moving to Traverse City this summer, hope we can meet sometime!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Hi Don from Upper Michigan and WELCOME to the Forums. What a great place to learn!! My wife and I discovered your little secret last summer. We planned a visit to northern Michigan which included about four days in TC at your campground. We were really surprised! We MIGHT find one other AS in the campground but seldom more than that. You can imagine our surprise to find 77 other AS in this camground.....plus a storage space for another 150 or so within the fenced in area. We had a great time talking with some of the AS owners and finding out their winter areas (mostly in FL). Great system that has been worked out there - call ahead and the crew had pulled your AS to your site and its all ready and waiting for you. We enjoyed our visit to the TC area and really enjoyed our drive up the Leelanaw for the day - visiting lighthouses, shops and restaurants. I'm surprised more AS owners aren't visiting the park - its a wonderful place to stay.

Until our next trip north.......keep the sunshine warming your souls. We love northern Michigan.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Okay,That settles it,that Campground is an hour away, We will have to check it out now...
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I didnt know that. Is that an AS only MEMBERS ONLY Park or can anyone visit???
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Hello Back, From Michigan Also!

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the info on Holiday Park CG. We travel extensively throughout Michigan all summer. I hope we can get a chance to visit.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the forum. My wife & I are from Grand Rapids. We moved to Florida 36 years ago and love it. Retirement is a few years off yet but one of the places on our bucket list is the UP and of course Traverse City.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
traverse City--Michigan Airstreamers

we found the holiday campground on RV Park Review.com as we were traveling MI last summer...it was a great spot...one of the only places that we found a mobile dog groomer that came to us and groomed the pups.....It is the oly place to stay in Traverse City!!!!!!
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Welcome RecLoose. We're also from MI. I'm very familar with Holiday Park. My parents were charter members/owners. (back in the early 70's) Their lot was on the "island" & I've kicked myself many times for not buying it from them when they sold. Luckily, we can still visit the campground. Maybe our paths will cross in TC next summer. We camp in the area at least once each summer.
John & Becky Pellerito
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
We'll be in your neck of the woods at the end of July --- simulated boondocking at the Leelanau State Park! It's truly the 'end of the road' and we love it up there.
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey, Welcome! I'm from Spring Lake, MI and hubby's from Grand Haven, MI. Went to nursing school at Butterworth Hospital School of Nursing in GR. (That was awhile ago when there still WAS a Butterworth Hospital!) Now we live in Minnesnowta (2 inches of snow on the ground this morning). Still have family in GR and SL so we get back at least once per year. Happy to have you!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote