Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Johnston , Iowa
Hello From Iowa

Been a "lurker" for a few months and thought I would finally do my intro...

My wife just inherited a 2005 Bambi 19" and a Honda Ridgeline to pull it. We pulled it from Florida to Iowa a couple weeks ago, did not stay in it due to it being full of other items.

Our first outing will be next weekend over the 4th of July. Never camped in a trailer before, any suggestions or advice for the first outing?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome!

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, Tim, and welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find a whole bunch of like-minded folks here!

Lynn
Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Also a welcome from another Iowan. First of all, read the book. It will give you the info needed for your AS. Practice setting-up and taking down in the driveway just to get to know the whereabouts of everything is.
Pack your personals, clothes and food but keep it simple for the first time. As time goes, you will become familar as to YOUR needs. Don't overload the trailer or Ridgeline.
There are a number of Airstreamers in the DesMoines area, and I'm sure you will soon meet some of them. There is an Airstream dealer in DesMoines and I'm sure they can also help.
Good luck and happy camping
mike for Davenport
Old 06-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, you have a great pairing and I'm sure you will quickly get the hang of things. We try to keep the weight down so if we are going to use full hook-up facilities only fill the water tank 1/4 full to flush the toilet on the go. We don't load up with food items preferring to get local produce etc. We get the best gas mileage towing around 62mph and keep a close watch on tire pressure. The four stabilizers should be lowered and just snugged. Use a level to level the unit so the refrigerator works properly by driving up on 2x4's or the plastic blocks available at WalMart.Have fun
Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Las Vegas , Nevada
Welcome. We have a 2010 Ridgeline as our tow vehicle and have a 19' Bambi (2007, IIRC). I've been away for a while and we are quickly approaching our first trip with our new truck. I'm very nervous getting ready.

It's like taking our first trip for me having to remember all the lessons learned from previous outings. I'm excited for you. Airstreams seem to be a magnet for curious neighbors.

Enjoy and welcome to the community!

Oh, and I used to live near Sioux City. I made a monthly trip to Cedar Rapids, getting to see the same stretches of Iowa farmland over and over and over and over... I'm a city boy (Los Angeles) so there was way too much greenery!

Keith
Old 06-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Welcome from another Iowa Airstreamer! I'm sure you will have as much from your Airstream as we are having with ours. Looking forward to seeing you down the road.
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Johnston , Iowa
Thanks for the welcomes! As for reading "the book", I am assuming the owners manual? If not what book?

I think our first trip should go well, we are not going too far from home so if things do go bad, we can pack up and go home.

Towing the Bambi with the Ridgeline from FL to IA went great, much better than I thought it would. I thought it was going to be work but it was flawless, even drove through downtown Atlanta at 7pm and St Louis during rush hour.

From what I was told by my father in law, once we get to the campsite, unless there are other Airstreams, we will be the one that everyone wants to come and visit just so they can see the trailer. Should be interesting!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #9

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Your going to love it! We had a 19' Bambi CCD and it gets lots of attention at the campgrounds! The owners manual is good but a bit vague. I carry the manual and the manuals for all of the appliances etc. There are lots of good checklists for both inside and out.

Try this one.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...list-7630.html

Let us know how it goes!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsprout View Post
From what I was told by my father in law, once we get to the campsite, unless there are other Airstreams, we will be the one that everyone wants to come and visit just so they can see the trailer. Should be interesting!
I guarantee the other Airstreamers will visit!

k
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Welcome from a displaced Iowan. We have a 16' Bambi Quick Silver and have well over 30K miles and many, many weeks in it. Always a draw at a RV park. Hope you are a Hawkeye and not a MooU type like my cousins. Have fun and USE IT !
Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Johnston , Iowa
The first trip went great! Had a couple people stop by to ask about our trailer, all of them curious. One was trying to decide between a Bambi and a Scamp trailer, he said he is going to wait a few more years to save and get a Bambi.

Everything went well with the trailer, even did a "dump" while in the back of my mind reliving the movie RV, with Robin Williams.

My only wish is that the fridge was bigger! Oh well, the beer cooler was on the ground by my chair!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Congratulations on the new Airstream. We have a 2005, 19-foot Bambi and think it is the perfect size for boondocking. If yours still has the original tires on it, you should read through some of the threads on this subject since yours is about due for replacement. Otherwise, hope you enjoy your new home away from home!