Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Hello from Indiana! - 76 Sovereign 31'

I just wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone for such a great forum! My wife and I just got back from Florida where we purchased our 31 foot 1976 Sovereign! (I think I attached the pics correctly - they are also on my profile). Quite a haul back to Indiana over 2 days!

We are very excited! I left my job in February of this year to start my own business to allow my wife and I to full time together. Since my wife and I work almost completely online we decided that we had no choice but to see the world now while we are in our early 30s. Just need to outfit the rig for wifi and determine what backdrops we would like for our mobile office

Our time frame to get on the road will be early January - roughly 6 months to get it ready for full timing! That date may well move depending on what we find!

We bought our rig from one of the nicest people - a former bluegrass banjo player named Royce that decided to retire from traveling. He told us that the first owner was an Airstream enthusiast had our trailer for over 20 years going to rallies - if you look at the door you there is a sticker for each one she went to going back to 72. One of the greatest things about our trailer! It was then sold to a man who worked at Airstream for a few years before it ended up with the previous owner. It looks like it was really cared for. I don't mind saying that we payed $4ooo for it and feel we did quite alright.

The PO even gave us his ball mount, new battery, and sway bars for nothing. And evidently I am rigged with a solar panel which we didn't even know about and works! We just cant be happier even if we run into some unplanned expense. We have been very fortunate and we couldn't be more excited about the great person we bought from. He was so concerned about our safety that we tested the trailer brakes together and went on test drive to make sure the handling was still suitable.

I have lived in this forum both before and after my purchase and cant feel more comfortable with tackling the challenges that may arise. I certainly appreciate this community and hope to help as much as be helped (eventually!) and cant believe how smart everyone is. This forum has given me a renewed confidence in myself to tackle new challenges.

Like everyone we have some basic things to replace/fix - refrigerator, air conditioner, entrance door latch, compartment locks, one window leak. We are going to be digging further into the axles, frame, potential floor issues, and structural integrity. I look forward to asking some pretty stupid questions...but only after I exhaust my search here in the forums

I was happy to find that all the electrical, gas, water, and waste work great. The water heater is fairly new as well as the pump. It has 4 new trailer tires (I checked -thanks guys!) and little visible rust and no shell damage. Windows are all fine (got the vista window flakes, but also great advice to tackle it!) and I have the rock guard and zipdee awning in great shape!

So thats the rig! Oh yeah, and I'm pulling with a f150 v8 5.4. More truck would be nice but the small biz budget would allow for it!

Thank you again everyone - I look forward to getting to know you and meeting you along the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3763.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	108889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3764.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	108890  

Name:	DSCN3768.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	108891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3779.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	108892  

Name:	DSCN3765.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	108893   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3774.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	108894  

Name:	DSCN3773.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	108895  
LukeNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome LukeNewton,

Congratulations on the trailer. Good to hear that you've benefited from the information here.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Wow!!! Your photo must be on the post office wall! You stole that rig!! :-) I'm looking at the same model in Northern Idaho and they wanted $4950. And it is in 'rough' shape to boot. I've offered $3000 and I'm waiting to see if they take it or not. Maybe I should consider driving to Florida to find such a sweet deal.

All joking aside, congratulations! I hope to follow suit very soon. I've only been haunting this forum for a week now and feel SO much better informed on the subject of Airstreams... wouldn't want to make the purchase without the resources of this great site.
phoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Very, very sweet trailer! Now you need to name her!

And a big welcome to the forums - both LukeNewton and Phoyt.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Very, very sweet trailer! Now you need to name her!

And a big welcome to the forums - both LukeNewton and Phoyt.

Chris
I'm leaving the naming to my lovely wife - she is the one in charge of that sort of thing! (I'll let you know what she decides!)

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #6

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoyt View Post
Wow!!! Your photo must be on the post office wall! You stole that rig!! :-) I'm looking at the same model in Northern Idaho and they wanted $4950. And it is in 'rough' shape to boot. I've offered $3000 and I'm waiting to see if they take it or not. Maybe I should consider driving to Florida to find such a sweet deal.

All joking aside, congratulations! I hope to follow suit very soon. I've only been haunting this forum for a week now and feel SO much better informed on the subject of Airstreams... wouldn't want to make the purchase without the resources of this great site.
I cant believe how lucky we got! Good luck to you - we found that waiting is worth it even though its hard to do! Post pics when you get her!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
LukeNewton,

Welcome to airforums.com and the Wonderful Wacky World of Airstreaming!

That '76 looks to be in good shape, and you have a good handle on what you need to do going forward, so I'm eager to hear your story as it all unfolds.

One of the pictures seems to show that you have the upper bunks in the sleeping compartment, which could be handy if your future plans include children!

I wonder if the former bluegrass banjo player was a heavy smoker...? The inside of the front door looks as though he might have been. Not to worry, you can wash down all the hard surfaces easily and get rid of it, that vinyl surface is pretty darned rugged!

All the best, and see you down the road...!