Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Hello from Georgia!

I've been reading this forum for the past several weeks to try to get some insight on the issues with owning an Airstream. I have just retired and my wife and I want to get on the road and catch up on all the missed or shortened vacations. Living in hotels is not our bag and since I am somewhat of a perfectionist, Airstream seemed the way to go. After reading the threads on corrosion and quality problems, I have become somewhat disillusioned but not completely discouraged. We still intend on getting an AS but we're going to move slowly and try to be careful. I'm pretty handy at fixing things and with all the help available from all of you, I think I can keep it on the road. I'm amazed at all the knowledge you have and how willingly you all share it. I will continue reading your threads and looking for my AS. I'll let you know my progress.
Thanks,
Slim
SlimJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Ah perspective is a wonderfull thing! Don't let the numerous grumblings throw you off though. Many of us are running old rigs with major renovations. What we would face in similar vintage square old boxes would be long gone to dust

Use the forum to learn what can go wrong, what to look for, and how to make it right. If you want to spend more time relaxing in an airstream than working on one, look for the ones someone else has allready labored over

Retirment? I tried that once
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As far as travel trailers go, Airstreams are the BEST out there.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Slim or should I call you "Brother" Perfectionist. I too am a perfectionist as well as many others here on the forum. That said be aware there is no RV on the road that doesn't require some TLC on a regular basis. If you hooked you house behind a truck and drug it coast to coast you would find things that need attention too. On the other hand it doesn't mean you have to rebuild it after each trip. As rmpray says "it all prospective". At the risk of offending some I'll give you an example a complaint some would concider major. There are those who throw a "hissy" over rusting screws on marker lamps. Again "prospective". I can assure you that any owner of a 10 year old trailer,of any other brand would be tickled to death to only have that as a major complaint.----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hi Slim, and welcome! I'm up the road from you near Chattanooga. Even if you don't have an Airstream yet, you would be welcome to join us for the weekend or even a day at the Pigeon Forge Rally the second weekend in May. Seeing a few in person might help you get a better feel for what you want and could potentially be willing to tackle. Moving slowly and carefully when purchasing is wise. If you are well informed, you will know when you find the right Airstream for you.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey slimJim,

I am a new guy here, too, and also from Georgia. Welcome.

My wife and I were attracted to Airstreams but knew we conld not afford the Gazillion plus dollars a nice new airstream commanded.

We had more questions than answers and we did not want to buy some other owners problem.

We started researching the internet sites and this is by far the best site we found.

The wed master here does an excellent job, the archive search engine is wonderful, the archives are so full of information it took me two months worth of after work hours work to fully research. Almost every question I had was answered and almost a 1,000 questions I did not know to ask were addressed.

If you were seeking a pool of expert information on vintage airstreams, the guys here know the answers.

If you contact a few Georgia members, they will even help you evaluate an airstream before purchase.

I learned so much here I felt comfortable buying a 1968 Tradewind. We took it out this past weekend close to home for a trail...we had a great time.

Do you research, buy well, and you will be happy.

Keith and debby
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums. I'm from Georgia, too. You didn't say what part of Georgia you are from. I'm from the metro-Atlanta area. This past weekend we had a rally in the north Georgia mountains where you could have toured nearly 40 trailers and motor homes and got an idea what needs to be done and what can be accomplished.

Keep us up to date on how you proceed.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice. I need all the help I can get. I am from the Atlanta area also just west of Marietta. I visited the AS dealer in Jackson this past weekend and they had some very nice units in stock. I normally buy new cars but I'm beginning to think a late model used unit may be the better way to go. Minnie's Mate, do you have any experience with the Sagon RV Super Center in Jackson?
SlimJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Have you checked our forum Classifieds, newer as well as vintage Airstreams cared for by forum folks. You can find this on the menu strip at the top of the portal page here. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
I have a site out in the big city of Duluth...Georgia. Too bad my company won't let me drive out from Austin for my next site visit Eventually though...have old family ties out that way.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
you guys just missed a great rally in GA. if you get a chance, go to one, meet the folks....and be ready to be overwhelmed with knowledge, choices, and hospitality

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Another Georgia member

Hi from Jonesboro, Georgia. I am a newbie to this site too. It sounds like they have some nice gatherings. Can I Tag-A-Long to a gathering even if I have an ugly white box? We are new to camping. We bought a vintage camper and started fixing it up so we could take our big dog camping. So far it has been a great experience.KF
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Kristi,

Sure, come on along! There is a rally at Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds Nov. 7-9. Everyone is welcome. Look at the Falluminum thread to get the details. We even have one SOB attending that has been to 7 Airstream Rallies so far. We have some Spartans attending this one too. They are nice rigs.

Hope to see you soon!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We are open to anyone who even likes aluminum! You just have to want to have fun.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Foste View Post
Hi from Jonesboro, Georgia. I am a newbie to this site too. It sounds like they have some nice gatherings. Can I Tag-A-Long to a gathering even if I have an ugly white box? We are new to camping. We bought a vintage camper and started fixing it up so we could take our big dog camping. So far it has been a great experience.KF
Don't worry. Others of us have those not-so-shiny (and not-so-clean ) Airstreams.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
just tell them it's an argosy prototype ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imposter.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	68679  
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We went to two Georgia rallies before we even had an Airstream so if we can go trailerless you can go with a alternative brand (we call 'em SOB's).

Sorry Alan and Kathy, don't mean to speak for you, but she is one of my neighbors, so to speak.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome Slimjim! We are in east Cobb - not far from you. This is a great forum, and there are many of us within 100 miles of you. You just missed a small rally we had on Lake Harding - a little north of Columbus, GA, but the upcoming rally in Hiawassee (Falluminum) is really well attended. Hope you can make it - nothing but fun!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote