Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Frisco , Texas
Smile Hello from Frisco, Texas

Hello my name is Katherine. My husband and I have been seriously discussing purchasing a Travel Trailer. We are both in our mid-40's and we are used to camping outdoors. Now we want to bump it up...so to speak. We attended the Fort Worth RV Show yesterday. The first travel trailer I saw was of course an Airstream. Well, heck, that just ruined it for me
We saw quite a few other brands that were ok...but just did not measure up to the Airstreams. We are the type of people that would prefer to buy on quality and not on price. But with that said...it is over our budget to do this year. So we are going to save and wait a couple of years. I don't want to buy a travel trailer and then have to trade it in and lose money. I want to buy right...the first time Buy it once, cry once
I will be lurking around and perhaps asking questions from time to time. There is obviously a LOT we need to learn before biting the bullet and shelling out our hard earned money. I hope I am able to learn more here. Perhaps as I learn, one day I can pay it forward.
Thank You! May this new year bring everyone lots of joy and happiness!
katetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Welcome to the addiction! Ha! Ha!

Best of luck in all of your research. You have stumbled on to one of the most complete sources of info on the web.

Again, welcome aboard!!
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hello - Consider a Previously Loved Trailer

Hello,

Welcome to Airforums. We used to live in McKinney so we know exactly where Frisco is located.

There are many used Airstreams out there. Please consider buying a previously loved trailer. Buy from an individual if you're comfortable with that - you'll save quite a bit of money.

That being said, I hear you can get quite a discount on new units. I don't think anyone pays full sticker. Airstreams and RV's in general depreciate as soon as you pull them off the lot. Previously loved units keep cash in your pocket for other things - all the stuff you may need to buy, the tow vehicle, the vacations you want to go on, etc.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hello Kathrine, and welcome to the forum. I think you have chosen wisely, but then again I would...I'm biased. You are right, there just isn't anything like an Airsteam, except another Airstream.

One thing that you might consider is buying used. We've owned seven Airstream products over the years, and have never bought new. Yes, we always have to do some clean up, and sometimes some fix up, but we consider that part of getting to know our new Airstream. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Katherine,

We're glad to have you with us and wish you success in your research, and eventual purchase. You will find plenty of archival information here, and by all means feel free to ask questions of the group as they come up.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We 're glad to have you with us. You will be able to learn a whole bunch about Airstreams here of the Forums.

We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy. We have had her about 4 1/2 years and have spent 780 nights in her. We have towed her 70,000 miles. We love camping in Lucy and have been all over the US. We have not tired of the experience. Lucy has held up well in this relatively heavy use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3435.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	119148   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4413.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	119149  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Welcome. You came to the right place. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Frisco , Texas
Hi and thanks gentlemen (and ladies !)! I am open to buying used as well as new. If we bought used then perhaps we'd hire an inspector who knows Airstreams and what to look for.
I was amazed at the show as far as Travel Trailers go...how cheap a lot of them looked. My background is Interior Design so I am interested in construction and materials as well as functionality.
My father's family purchased an Airstream back in 39' and it was sold back in 1979 when my grandfather died. I wish I had it today
So nice to see other enthusiasts from around the country and world....
Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Greetings from St. Louis, MO and San Antonio, TX!

Steve
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hello and welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katetx View Post
Hi and thanks gentlemen (and ladies !)! I am open to buying used as well as new. If we bought used then perhaps we'd hire an inspector who knows Airstreams and what to look for.
I was amazed at the show as far as Travel Trailers go...how cheap a lot of them looked. My background is Interior Design so I am interested in construction and materials as well as functionality.
My father's family purchased an Airstream back in 39' and it was sold back in 1979 when my grandfather died. I wish I had it today
So nice to see other enthusiasts from around the country and world....
Have you clicked the "Classifieds" tab yet? Talk about "Lead a snot into temptation"

For a first Airstream, may I recommend a 2 to 5 year old one - several decent ones listed right now and in your state - may be a day's drive away, but still there might be some that are nearly local. Browse - but get a tea towel first to collect the drool before it lands on your keyboard.

Happy Trails! Paula
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hello neighbor....Your are in a great area for your adventure. Come have fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Hi Katetx,
Welcome to the forums. We live in Colleyville. A couple of years ago we were in your same shoes. Found our first AS in California. Flew out and bought a 07 Bambi with a tow vehicle from an original owner. Had so much fun we sold it and bought another 07 Bambi with a sofa in the front instead of a table. This one too was from and original owner. Both were ladies and the AS were in beautiful condition. We had never RVed before so this forum was such a great source of info and entertainment! Funny thing is we thought we would get the AS to see Texas . Ha ha. We have now been from sea to shining sea ! Can't wait for our next trip. Have fun shopping.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I went from a 25' 1972 Tradewind from the vintage days to a 2006 Safari Front Bed model. There are SO many different configurations out there. Pick a size that you can tow and shop for the layout and year model that fits your needs/budget. I determined that i loved the FB front bed model with the door in the back and the panoramic windows on both ends. I then went back in time looking for the same features I wanted but at a price I could afford. The 2006 I bought was in brand new condition but $22,000 less than a new one.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
Hello and welcome. I know Exactly what you mean. We made the "mistake" of looking at Airstreams first. After that nothing else compared and we were hooked.

We're also from Texas also in our 40s. Hope to see you at a future rally or event. Best of luck.
AirEPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy. We have had her about 4 1/2 years and have spent 780 nights in her. We have towed her 70,000 miles. We love camping in Lucy and have been all over the US. We have not tired of the experience. Lucy has held up well in this relatively heavy use.

I've been thinking those miles are about the life-limit on a square white box.

To the OP: welcome (lived 50-years in Dallas), and be sure to investigate the many trailer plans offered by A/S over the years. The changes seem small, but some reading around may show the setup you really want. New and used, don't be afraid to travel . . the trailer you really want may be in AZ, or TN . . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Frisco , Texas
Traveling around to other cities and states would definitely not be a problem. I know if we were to buy used we would need to be flexible and open minded about how far we may have to go.
If we were to buy new, I would love some info on experiences with dealerships either in Texas or near Texas. If anyone has info of ones that have stood out I'd love to know and you can private message me.
Thank you all for your warm welcomes. It is nice to see the ideas that people have. Thank you all for being so willing to share your knowledge and experiences.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Hi Katherine,

I don't think I've been around long enough to welcome others, but welcome anyway!

If you're looking at a used trailer or even new for that matter, I think this recent thread, especially this post has a lot of good advice I wish I would have had back when I first started.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
PM's sent....
Old 01-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
Hi KATETX,
My wife and I have been airstreaming for 8 years now...we did exactly what you did eight years ago...we saw the airstream...and it was airstream only for us...I did not want to spend $$$$ for a new airstream...I found the airforums website...started shopping....our first trailer ...88excella 34' we kept her seven years...saw an ad this year for a 99 excella 34' ...we went to St. Louis MO and bought her...I don't know if its just me , but, I believe that airstream owners take extremely good care of their units...my only suggestion...is...Check out some of the upcoming unit rallies and pick one to visit...the folks will be more than happy to talk airstream with you...what size?...tow vehicle? is the price appropriate? etc.etc...
See you down the road...
excella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Hello from San Antonio, not traveling to Vancouver

My first interest in airsteams came when I went to an RV show. We wanted to downsize from our 5th wheel RV.
However, I got sticker shock from the price of a new one.

I posted on the forum about the process of buying one.
Please see:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...r-b-c-73808.ht
Randini is offline   Reply With Quote