Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Hmmmm... can we try some feminine psychology here?

What really matters most to your wife? Economy? Airstreams are built better so they last longer, hold their value better, tow easier than the white boxes. So a used one might be the way to go, especially if you're handy.

Space for everything and everyone? The AS use of space is really efficient. Even the 16-footers like ours come with an on-board toilet and shower (wet bath style.) We tow ours with a Tacoma with a cap on the back, solving the problem of where to store our gear.

If your wife "was never a camper" she'll be so much more comfortable in a nice AS than in a pop-up. The longer models sleep 6. In a pinch, we once slept 4 in our Bambi.

To me, the big clincher would be that you and the kids have always wanted to visit Yellowstone and Glacier NPs. This is bear country. You want a hard-sided camper for your peace of mind about her personal safety, not to mention your young 'uns. Then the aforementioned considerations suggest an AS over a white box on wheels.

Plus, as an architect, you have a sense of taste and design. She probably owes you one from something or other.

Jeanne

Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So, off we went to Airstream of New England yesterday. It was an interesting trip. The place was open, they also sell cars. But the guy who sells that Airstreams was not in and they didn't have the keys to seen any trailers. Pretty interesting.

There is hope however, my wife said to me this morning, can you take a ride down to see the Airstreams? That made me happy. However, I think we will ride down to Colonial.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Good Luck!!!

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Made the trip to New England Airstream today and was quite pleased with the folks there. I would not hesitate to buy there.

The big news is my wife, who had no interest in the Airstream two years ago which broke my heart, did a 180 and now likes them. My plan to let her 'acquire' a tasted for them, worked like a charm. Hook, line, and sinker. He, he....

As I type this, she is surfing the web looking at photos of them. On our way home she said it, right there while we were having dinner, something only saint of a wife could say,

" You have my blessing to buy an Airstream. "

Thanks again for all of your responses.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
We stopped by Colonial 2 weeks ago on our way south. We also bought a 25' FC from them in January. They have so many on the lot to look at and are incredible to work with. We sold it all and travel full time now with an 11 and 4 year old. As others have said we really are only in the AS to sleep and cook and work(being full time). Most of our time is spent outside

One of the bunk houses may work for you though.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Made the trip to New England Airstream today and was quite pleased with the folks there. I would not hesitate to buy there. The big news is my wife, who had no interest in the Airstream two years ago which broke my heart, did a 180 and now likes them. My plan to let her 'acquire' a tasted for them, worked like a charm. Hook, line, and sinker. He, he.... As I type this, she is surfing the web looking at photos of them. On our way home she said it, right there while we were having dinner, something only saint of a wife could say, " You have my blessing to buy an Airstream. " Thanks again for all of your responses.
Do it Ted. Find what will work and pull the trigger. My wife never wanted to camp period. I spent my first year looking at SOBs of all sizes and prices. Of course, for the most part she turned he nose up at the plastic, carpeted messes. When I finally took her through our, to be, 30 FC with two recliners I saw the first real twinkle in her eyes. The year and 1/2 since, she is now the one who plans our trips, stops and itinerary while on the road. She says every trip, "I'm so glad we bought quality and beauty, it's a joy to be here." Good luck and remember that most important advice: "Act now before the offer expires". We don't live forever.

Howard and Christine
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Ted,

Our family of four has enjoyed the travels you describe; I couldn't recommend more highly your plans. While our kids no longer travel with us (they are older), we have enjoyed some fabulous trips as a family.

A couple of pictures boon docking in Death Valley at Thanksgiving a few years back - we celebrated Thanksgiving with with our kids with a deep fried turkey and all the fixings. Note my tow vehicle at the time - a Ford Excursion with Powerstroke.

I might add that we have camped with our kids since they were practically infants, and camped extensively with a tent, moved to an SOB, and finally a series of Airstreams. My only regret is that we didn't move to the Airstream sooner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	200166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	200167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg