Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
You'll Never Walk Alone

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
Hello From BC Canada and a 1955 Overlander

So it is finally here at my farm in the Fraser Valley BC Canada and yes I lost sleep over the last few weeks leading up to the purchase of the trailer. But it is finally here after 20 years of saying, "Wouldn't it be cool to have an Airstream".
This Overlander is from 1955 the same year I was born in the summer of 1955. Considering cars and trailers usually are of a certain year are usually advertised and started to be sold in the previous year you could say it was sort of conceived at the same time.
I have been throwing a few names around to call the 55 but not decided yet.
There was a song by Etta James from 1955 called "The Wallflower" which happened to be one of my Dad's favorite flowers (avid Gardner, you couldn't keep him out of the garden) and I also had met Etta James twice in a small club she was playing at in the 80's before her career took off for the second time (She died this year) so song "The Wallflower" from 1955 or just "Wallflower" is starting to sound right. The trailer looks kinda unassuming right now but probably has seen quite a lot and if it was a person sitting in the corner would probably have lots of great stories to tell, bit of a "Wallflower".
It needs lots of work to get it all cleaned up but I think it is cool. The first stage (freaking out wondering if I will actually end up owning it) is over. Right now I am just enjoying the view of it sitting outside the kitchen window until the fields dry out, then I will move it to a better place to work on it (need to extend road to back of property).
But for now it's finally a great sunny spring day, a good time to be buying a 1955 Airstream Overlander.
Cheers
Brian

PS: I posted some images in 50's Airstream photos
B_Boult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We would love to see photos of your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations on your new baby and welcome to this amazing Forums! I think the name Etta is too cute!!! Post pics and tell us what you end up naming her. Cheers!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome from a little West of you. It looks like you've found a great trailer!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Brian,

Great trailer...looks like it's in decent shape. You're going to have fun!

I have a '54...same deal, year I was born. Not a bad interior but completely rotten floor. Got it cleared out and the shell lifted right now, dropping belly pan next...then fix frame and replace floor. Lots of fun!!

Welcome.

Don....
54Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hi Brian - congratulations.

There are quite a few of us vintage Airstream owners in the Lower Mainland. Many of us participate in the TCT events and also the WBCCI stuff that happens every year.

You will get a lot of ideas by attending some of these gatherings. The first is at SON's of Norway in Mission in June. Go online to the TCT (Tin Can Tourists) events list and you will see the dates. The other two that are close by are Deming Logging Show Grounds in August (3rd weekend) and Lynden the weekend after Labor Day in September.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
You'll Never Walk Alone

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
Thanks for all the welcoming posts. The work on the Overlander has started and as usual with any reno project I have taken on over the years there are some surprises. But one step at a time and it will get done. I have discovered some hidden surprises too which give some clues to where the trailer has been in the last 57 years.
I will look into joining clubs soon, just need to settle in, get the trailer into a place I can work on it and evict resident mice.
Will post the progress with pictures since I am more of a visually oriented person.

Cheers
Brian

Tags