Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #1

Barrie , Ontario
Hello from Barrie Ontario Canada

Hi I just joined the forum, I don't have an airstream but have just purchased a old 25 foot travelux (we all have to start somewere). From what I can find there is not much info around on the internet but would appreciate anything that anyone here may have found.

Regards

Richard
Travelux23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well Richard, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with your trailer but I just wanted to welcome you!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelux23
Hi I just joined the forum, I don't have an airstream but have just purchased a old 25 foot travelux (we all have to start somewere). From what I can find there is not much info around on the internet but would appreciate anything that anyone here may have found.

Regards

Richard
Hi Richard and welcome to the forums.There have been a few threads in the past on these forums regarding Travelux trailers.
There is a search feature that you can access near the top of the page to view these threads.Just key in Travelux in the search box and read away.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Congratulations Richard

Hello.. Richard.. they are beautiful trailers .. have seen a couple of them for sale. Aluminum and very much like the airstreams.. nearly anything applied to an Airstream can be applied to your trailer.. Welcome.. We are from Peterborough, Ont but currently in Fla for the winter.. again welcome
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
You have a very rare Canadian made trailer. There are not many left and I haven't seen one on the roads for years. A couple blocks from here there used to be one parked in a driveway for about 12 plus years. It really was getting rough and then one day it was gone. It looked more like an Avalair or Avion.

Does it have leaf springs or torsion axles?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Took a quick look, your right, not much out there on them. Got a pic or 2?

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
WELCOME!!

Is Barrie near Barrie's Bay - Combermere?
My sister and her hubby used to have a place up there - GREAT Pike fishing!!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelux23
(we all have to start somewere).
Regards Richard
Well you started with Aluminum and something Canadian so you are in our good books

Congrats

They are really nice trailers and I have been tempted to buy one for a while. The 20 and 25's are really really hard to come by.

There were made by a company out of Newmarket, Ontario for only about 5-8 years I think.

I had popped one on the forums a few years back - Annie and Marvin were with us when we found it - and thought we would trip up the people here at the forums - we had them going - called it everything under the sun - but mostly they thought she was an Avion.

Beautiful wood interior from what I can remember.

We are just outside of Peterborough East of Lakefield - if you need any help or have any questions look us up - if you saw our yard right now you would thing we were an Airstream junk yard - with the exception of one - that we just sold.

Just got back from picking up our latest - a 1963 Globe Trotter from Indiana.

Welcome to the forums - we all have a thing about aluminum!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Welcome, Richard.

Lots of information here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ada-20810.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Richard,

Welcome to the forum. There are three Travelux trailers that I'm aware of on the west coast although one may have headed elsewhere. That would be the one we think is 26' which was owned by the Preston family who owned Preston Chevrolet in Langley, BC. It was sold about a year or so ago and we don't know where it ended up but it was still in original condition and very well maintained. There was another, same size, at Deroche', BC just east of Mission but it was in terrible shape. Certainly anything can be restored but this was horrible. It was for sale for quite a while listed as an Airstream and don't know what happened to it. There is also about a 16' or so one that is polished up and hauled behind a late 50's Ford stationwagon out of Richmond, BC. It's redone, is cute as a button, and makes the rounds of the car cruise-in's in the lower mainland.

They appear to be well made and seem to be a lot like the Silver Streak trailers. We had a '58 Silver Streak Chico model (17') and it would have been easily mistaken for the Travelux noted above.

Good luck with your trailer. Lots of pictures would be a very good thing.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
SmokelessJoe's link to member Pinecone's thread seems to share a photo in common with the following site -- probably the same person? babble: Wee Travel Trailers

It looks very nice. With American made trailers we can usually say that the furnace, HW heater, fridge, etc components have kept the same size, voltages, and other specs over time -- regardless of trailer manufacturer. Thus there is an ability to take out the old and install new and ready to go. I know that code for new Canadian RVs is different than American (electrical standards usually). I wonder how much they share in common over the years like the American made trailers have.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Bob:

I doubt that Canadian made trailers use components different than American manufactures (excepting my Canadian home made project, of course!).

They all come from the same duopolies after all.

The man from North Bay told me he was surprised to find that most of the parts in his Travelux were still available at RV dealers.

The reason is the one above.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I was in the Canadian RV industry for several years supplying the major RV OEM's and Distributors with products. We supplied pretty much everything but the wood and labor, repping the US manufacturers. The only difference was that products used on Canadian built product required the CSA certification, and for propane also the CGA certification. There were some Canadian manufacturers of components, most notably windows, propane tanks and furnaces and water and waste tanks, but for the most part everything used was out of the US. A small manufacturer like Travelux would have likely acquired their components from a large distributor who would also have sold product to the local RV dealer/repair and maintenance shops. A home builder would acquire their product from those RV dealer/repair and maitenance shops. The larger OEM's would have their components drop shipped from the manufacturers. It was a fun thing to do, most of the people in the industry were great to work with and very entreprenurial, but also for the most part running close to the edge financially. The market was hugely impacted by fuel prices and other variables they had no control over.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote