Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
Hello from AZ

Hi all,

My husband (aka MaxThrust, if he ever posts) and I have been interested in Airstreams for several years. We have read many posts on this sight in the past. We may actually be close to making this particular dream a reality. We are seriously considering ordering a new FC 26' with the u-dinette and twin beds.

We have two kids, 14 and 10. Our thought is that while they are still vacationing with us they would use the twin beds and we would use the larger bed/dinette. Once that is no longer the case, "Max" and I would be able to use the beds. This floor plan seems like it could be a good fit for now and then. I don't see us ever going full time, but never say never. We are tossing around the idea of a 4-6 week trip next summer, heading to the East coast and mid-West. And many shorter trips over the years to come, including the entire West coast as well as Mexico.

We like to take our time, research and plan. This seems like a great place to get some help with the research and planning.

Nice to meet you all.
__________________

__________________
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,307
Hi

Welcome !!!

Find a dealer that has a reasonable inventory. Spend a day sitting in this one and that one. Do it without a sales guy hovering all the time. Ideally bring the kids and some electronic "toys" along. See how each model works doing this and that. It's not just sleeping. If it's pouring down rain and you are "trapped" for the day, can everybody find a place to poke on their phone / tablet / computer? Does the "conversion" process make sense on a twice a day basis? Is there a reasonable amount of storage (inside and out) for 4 people for a couple weeks? Lots of details only make sense if you can "try it on".

Have fun !!!

Bob
__________________

__________________
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar

 
1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,014
Images: 9
Bestymes

Welcome, from Mesa. Lots of other Airstreamers in the valley.

Look at the WBCCI schedule and you will see rally's for the AZ Unit and the 4CU unit. They both have friendly gatherings where you can visit with fellow streamers.

Although we have not used them the Desert Autoplex Airstream Dealer in Mesa gets good reviews from members here.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 481
Welcome from down the road. I have been drooling over a 2016 International Serenity 25' that has been on PHX Craigslist for about a week. I noticed today they dropped the price from 80K to 75K
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice!

Bob, you had several good points. I definitely have some concerns about having to convert the table to a bed and back again all the time. I'm not sure there is a better option, though. Not unless we went to a 30' bunkhouse. We considered that plan for a while. But never really loved it. Still open to other ideas...

Hittenstiehl, it's great to hear from a neighbor! We have been to Desert Autoplex a few times. Our last visit there was just last week. We would love to order from them if they can give us the deal we need, if for no other reason than the convenience. They will actually be moving to Scottsdale soon. There they will operate as Airstream of Scottsdale. So far we have not explored any groups or gatherings, so the suggestion on that is helpful.

Brian, we just traveled down your way Sunday to look at a 26' with the u-dinette. It had the queen bed, not twin, but at least we got to see the rest of the layout in person. Now I'm curious to check the listing you mentioned... haha. I will probably look it up. But I wouldn't be able to snatch it out from under you if I wanted to. We are at least a few weeks from being able to actually make a deal.
__________________
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar

 
1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,014
Images: 9
Wow, interesting news, Airstream of Scottsdale. Thanks for passing that information along.

Sure will be considerably more expensive real estate than the piece of property on Main Street in Mesa.

Maybe you can get a special Moving Day sale price from them.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstymes View Post

Brian, we just traveled down your way Sunday to look at a 26' with the u-dinette. It had the queen bed, not twin, but at least we got to see the rest of the layout in person. Now I'm curious to check the listing you mentioned... haha. I will probably look it up. But I wouldn't be able to snatch it out from under you if I wanted to. We are at least a few weeks from being able to actually make a deal.
Oh feel free to look it up, we are not ready for at least a year. We have no where to store it right now and not a lot of free time to travel yet, have to wait till I retire and sell the work vans to free up space in the garage.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Peoria , Arizona
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstymes View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice!

Bob, you had several good points. I definitely have some concerns about having to convert the table to a bed and back again all the time. I'm not sure there is a better option, though. Not unless we went to a 30' bunkhouse. We considered that plan for a while. But never really loved it. Still open to other ideas...

Hittenstiehl, it's great to hear from a neighbor! We have been to Desert Autoplex a few times. Our last visit there was just last week. We would love to order from them if they can give us the deal we need, if for no other reason than the convenience. They will actually be moving to Scottsdale soon. There they will operate as Airstream of Scottsdale. So far we have not explored any groups or gatherings, so the suggestion on that is helpful.

Brian, we just traveled down your way Sunday to look at a 26' with the u-dinette. It had the queen bed, not twin, but at least we got to see the rest of the layout in person. Now I'm curious to check the listing you mentioned... haha. I will probably look it up. But I wouldn't be able to snatch it out from under you if I wanted to. We are at least a few weeks from being able to actually make a deal.

We visited DAP about 3 years before our purchase from them last month. Suffice to say we checked a lot of models before deciding on the 28. Feel free to give us a shout if you have any questions. Wade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5617.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	294749  
__________________
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Maybe you can get a special Moving Day sale price from them.
That would be fantastic! We will definitely inquire. "Max" and I are pretty good at negotiating.
__________________
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Oh feel free to look it up, we are not ready for at least a year. We have no where to store it right now and not a lot of free time to travel yet, have to wait till I retire and sell the work vans to free up space in the garage.
I took a peek at the listing last night. It is really nice! But since we won't be ready for the financial commitment for at least a month, I doubt that one will be an option for us. Not sure the layout will work as well for us with the kids along, either.

Sadly, we will have to store ours at a nearby facility. We don't really have room at home. And the HOA has strict rules about such things. They don't even like our basketball hoop.
__________________
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
We visited DAP about 3 years before our purchase from them last month. Suffice to say we checked a lot of models before deciding on the 28. Feel free to give us a shout if you have any questions. Wade
Congrats on your purchase! Looks like you have a project going on? We have talked about getting an older model and renovating it. But we are kidding ourselves. I love to see what is possible, though.
__________________
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Peoria , Arizona
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstymes View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Looks like you have a project going on? We have talked about getting an older model and renovating it. But we are kidding ourselves. I love to see what is possible, though.
That's a factory pic of our '18 in production. Wade
__________________
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
That's a factory pic of our '18 in production. Wade
Ah. Yes. That makes more sense. I actually did notice that the cabinets looked like the new ones.
__________________

__________________
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Hello Calebchvz Member Introductions 4 08-28-2017 08:21 AM
Hello All! Newbie here just wanted to say Hello! star Member Introductions 4 08-03-2012 10:08 PM
Hello Guest!! PeterH-Airstreamer Our Community 118 02-23-2007 08:44 PM
Just want to say hello. So, Hello AirstreamAZ Member Introductions 13 01-10-2007 09:24 PM
Hello hello SeanClaes Member Introductions 9 01-30-2006 07:58 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.