Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hello from Austin Texas area

Hello everyone ✌🏼️😊I am a brand new member been lurking for a while and in search of my first happy airstream home. I'm going to go look at a 1975 Argosy this evening and wondering how I could find a volunteer inspector that might be willing to take a look.

My newly acquired Airstream will become my full-time home and I'm really excited and a little nervous as well. I know I'm in great hands with all of you and all the amazing knowledge that you have as I take off on my new adventures.

MaryL
AngelStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Well I lost my chance on the 75 Argosy. I was waiting for my money to be overnighted and someone came in at the last minute and outbid me 😔 The problem is I have sold my home and going to close real soon so I need to find something to live in real soon! And yes I have my heart set on in airstream preferably 26 to 28 motorhome.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Best of luck from one newby to another. I'm looking for an Airstream as well, I want one from 2000 to 2016, I'm looking for going on a long driving vacation.
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I'll help you inspect if need be...

Hi Mary,

I live in Sunset Valley, of which Austin is a suburb
If you have any questions at all, feel very free to ask. I am currently plugging away at my Silverstreak while my AS looks on forelornly...

PM me what you want to spend and what you are looking for, I still troll all the available vintage trailers, though two is plenty as of now.

Ian

Two things
A thing that tows those things
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Mary, welcome to these Air Forums. I think you will find the help and answers you are looking for. Just ask...

Wow, going to take the full time plunge. You mentioned an Argosy, and then a motorhome. I think the trailer with tow vehicle is a better way to go as the tow vehicle can be your daily driver too. But people full time either way, I guess it is just a preference.

I participated in a thread on the costs of full timing. Some folks think it is a very cheap way to live. But the reality finds it more expensive than renting a small apartment. The full timing budget in a Airstream was in the $3500 a month range. The RV does allow much mobility and adventure however.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hi David,

I really appreciate all the great information. I do wonder what's making it so costly for folks who are full-time. My son is full time over two years now and living on the cheap. I may look further into the trailer model but was thinking maybe just having to insure and maintain one vehicle might work better for me. I'll keep you all updated on my quest. That Argosy sure was sweet
Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard other newbie! 😊
Wish you well on your search hope you find what you're looking for real soon.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hi Ian,

LoL! Austin is definitely closing in on Sunset Valley. I really appreciate all that offer to help. I definitely needed on my quest to find my sweet airstream. I will PM you really appreciate appreciate all the guidance you can give me.

Mary
Old 08-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here is that thread on a monthly budget for living full time in the Airstream. There is a lot of variation of course. But at least it is a good place to start when adding up potential costs.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...et-127358.html

Many people with motorhomes have a car they pull behind. The car is for running errands and sightseeing. Horsing a motorhome around in a walmart parking lot and city traffic is a chore. We find with our trailer we can get set up, and then have our pick up for running errands or sightseeing. But even horsing the big pick up around is a chore.

I think Airstreams do better in more temperate climates. It would be no fun to spend a winter in one in Minnesota with below zero temps at night, and it would be no fun to spend a summer in Arizona with 100 + temps in the afternoon. Airstream walls are only 1 1/2" thick, and they are built out of aluminum, which is a great conductor of cold and hot. Most RV appliances are made for "occasional" use and don't have the life span of normal residential appliances, for example furnaces, water heaters, or air conditioners.

I think I see more full timers in fifth wheel units. They offer considerably more space and are built for all season living.

Here is a photo of a rather nice Argosy. They were built by Airstream but with several unique features, like the paint. They were built to sell for less than an Airstream.

Have fun in your search for a "small home on wheels".

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1605 Santa Fe Argosy.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	270159  
Old 08-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Hello, Mary! and Welcome!
I live out west at Spicewood and have a mechanic's background, even tho' I"ve only had an Airstream a couple years, it's been a fast-paced learning curve and if it helps, I'll be happy to "pitch in".

Folks who don't live in/near Austin may not realize the cost-of-living of this place. But their advice is worth weighing.

Consider where you will park it. Unless you own some property outside the ETJ (Extra-Territorial-Jurisdiction) of Austin, you might be surprised to find out how limited your options might be to live full-time in an RV.
Also, the motorhome idea can be misleading. It really isn't convenient to go buy groceries unless you have a smaller, run-around vehicle. And the regular maintenance of a motorhome equals a travel-trailer/coach.... PLUS SOME... because of the drive-train. Then there is the problem of where to live if any major maintenance (mx) is undertaken which requires it to be in a shop somewhere. Insurance is actually not such a bad deal, depending upon how you go about it. Getting your vehicle domiciled outside of Travis county will significantly reduce your premiums.

Anyway, if I can help.... feel free to msg me.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hi David, thanks again for all the great information and I will definitely check out that thread. If I decide to go with the trailer so that I can have a vehicle to run errands and such what's the smallest horsepower I would need to pull a trailer that was 26' or shorter? Could I toe with a small truck or would I need a full-size?

MaryL
Old 08-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hi Boxite! Thank you for the kind welcome and your offer to help! I definitely need all the help I can get in knowing someone in this area that knows the cost of living in Austin is really helpful. It is definitely priced me out of the market for living here. I'm running to travel around the Gulf Coast for a while and sightsee and then decide where I want to park. By the way anyone have experience with being down around the coast and do we need to worry about rust with an airstream?

MaryL
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Concerning trailers and tow vehicles:

Airstreams are a bit easier to tow because of their rounded shape. But there are a lot of other trailers out there too. The aluminum body on an Airstream is not subject to rusting like a steel car might be. But many Airstreams do get moisture damage due to leaks and the like.

There are many tow vehicle options. It is always a hot debate here on the Forums. You can research the manufacturer's two ratings on the internet. An important number is the vehicles "gross combined weight rating"; which is the vehicle and the trailer hitched up and ready to go.

My son and my brother both tow with the Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. It will tow 7000 pounds. And it is a nice vehicle. Here is a photo my brother sent me. Used half ton pickup trucks also make nice tow vehicles. I towed my Airstream for years with a full size Ford van. Worked great. Be sure to select a tow vehicle that's been outfitted with the "towing package" from the manufacturer.

I would look for around 300 horsepower in the tow vehicle for a 26' trailer maybe weighing some 6000 pounds. You won't be able to accelerate like a sports car, but it would be adequate. Climbing the smokey mountains would be slower, like down to 30 mph at times.

And the vehicle ought to have a back up camera. It makes hitching up soooo much easier.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1607 Stewart's New Trailer.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	270230  
Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
David,

Again, thank you so much for this great information! Really helpful!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #15
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Having a really difficult time with the Airstream Forum app. It keeps telling me I need to login but I am logged in. Then when I try to login again it tells me that my user name, email address, and password are invalid. Does anyone know how I can contact someone to get my account straightened out? Thanks everyone for your help trying to maneuver this site
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Look for a moderator, Janet had been one of my go to 's.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Way over East of ya... we may be moving into our Airstream as well.. and soon. Give a holler and we will try to help if you need it... (between boxing, moving, screaming, .. etc.. ;}
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #18
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Good morning! First of all I want to say great big thank you to Ian, David, and Dennis for all their great advice as I began looking for my sweet airstream. Your help meant the world to me!

She's a beauty! She's a 1963 24 ft Tradewind trailer. Just the right size for me. I still need to find a tow vehicle so we can get on the road.

I need to find secure storage for her in Austin while I look for a tow vehicle.
Anyone had any experience with a reasonable storage facility here? Maybe courtesy parking for just a short time?

Mary
Old 10-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Angelstreamn, holy cow!! You did jump in the deep end without fear. Good for you, congratulations. 63 is a very good year, and I bet it will go up in value in the years to come. I think it is the first full year of the dura torque axles. And you trailer has real wood and metal latches and knobs, and easier to repair flat glass windows. People value the 65 and earlier vintage Airstreams. I would love to see some pictures.

Hey, you are welcome to store your trailer at my place. But being in the Denver area, I believe I'm too far away to be handy. I'm sure someone will give advice on where you can store your trailer. Buy a good hitch lock, as your trailer is valuable.

Next is the tow vehicle and hitch. You can research both here on Air Forums. We have had good luck towing our 66 Trade Wind with the son's Grand Cherokee and a Fastway e2 hitch (a Equalizer type knock off). But you have many options for towing with your vintage Trade Wind. It is not a heavyweight trailer. It will tow very nicely. Here is a recent thread where an Airstreamer was looking for tow vehicle recommendations. No one liked my recommendation, but there are some good suggestions to stimulate your thinking.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...8k-156241.html

Here is a photo of my Trade Wind out camping with the grand daughters, and of the dinette table I installed this summer. I didn't like the original as it was in the way of the door. My Trade Wind is a boy trailer by the way. Name is Max.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1607 Wellington Trade Wind.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	273496   Click image for larger version

Name:	1609 Table Up Two Chairs.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	273497  

Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Welcome to the forms! I too have a Tradewind. She's a 1962. I'm redoing her. Here's a pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1476535644.439781.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	273541her name is Agnes.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote