Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Hello From An Excited New Owner

Hello,
So my husband and I are full filling a 10 year dream. We found an Airstream and bought it yesterday. We are hoping to restore it. I started a blog, unfortunately before I knew you had them, on the progress. My husband discovered your site when looking for information on fixing our floor boards. So I thought I'd join the site and say Hi! Thanks to the forums for the help! I am sure we will be back for more help.
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Welcome and Howdy from down here in Altus Oklahoma! Glad you got one and plaster as many pictures of what you have (this includes critters)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4164.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	106277  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Oh ... and here's a link for you to check out....Airstream, Inc :: Specs - 1970 Happy reading!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Would it be ok if I just gave my website url to start with? I've posted about 70 pictures of her and our progress. Then I'll figure out how to post pics on the site. We'll been busy... but our work is getting rained out... again today!!

Air Streaming Dreaming: The Dream
Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Oh ... and here's a link for you to check out....Airstream, Inc :: Specs - 1970 Happy reading!
Thanks for the links.. It was really interesting to look at all those old floor plans!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Welcome to the group, you'll be able to see a lot of repair ideas and get a lot of help from everyone. Before and after pics are priceless. If you post pictures here members may spot problem areas and advise you on what to do.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Welcome to the group, you'll be able to see a lot of repair ideas and get a lot of help from everyone. Before and after pics are priceless. If you post pictures here members may spot problem areas and advise you on what to do.
Thank you. And believe me, I have already posted some pictures in the forums and gotten great advice. This is a wonderful place!! I wish I had found the site before I started the other blog, or that there was a way to import the other blog. I've already taken 124 pictures of the restoration process!

My husband is on cloud 9 today, he got the a/c started. We were told it needed a part to work, and it may still, but you can spin the fan wheel to start it. Cleaning with a/c will be sooo much nicer than sweating away without it!!vv

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Greetings rebel. Welcome to the forums. I viewed your blog and can only make one suggestion: If you're restoring the trailer in the drive, it might be better to put it in the other spot and the rear about 6' away (if you can) from the garage door. You'll find that access to tools from the garage and getting around the trailer will be much easier...if your hubby hasn't already discovered it.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64 View Post
Greetings rebel. Welcome to the forums. I viewed your blog and can only make one suggestion: If you're restoring the trailer in the drive, it might be better to put it in the other spot and the rear about 6' away (if you can) from the garage door. You'll find that access to tools from the garage and getting around the trailer will be much easier...if your hubby hasn't already discovered it.
Really good idea...if only we could. We are in the bottom of a U - shaped subdivision so our driveway isn't exactly straight, level, or easy to park in. Then again.. thank goodness we aren't in a cul de sac!

My husband says she's not moving again until he builds a ramp for the end of the drive. We had to place 3 particle backed cushions, 4 two by fours, 8 exercise floor squares and some cardboard at the bottom of the drive to keep her back end from scrapping the drive.

Her towing vehicle now has to be parked at the very end of the drive so the kids can get in and out without hitting her.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You can always disconnect the weight distribution bars when you back into your drive. This will lower the front of the trailer and raise the rear.

What's wrong with a cul de sac?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	106638  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You can always disconnect the weight distribution bars when you back into your drive. This will lower the front of the trailer and raise the rear.

i will pass that on to my husband! Absolutely nothing wrong with a cul de sac, if your more experienced with backing up and towing. We are newbies in more ways than one.... this is our very first trailer, of any kind. We have a lot of street parking in our subdivision so our cul de sacs are a bit cramped... that's all.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:

PS... The cul de sac in that pictures HUGE! Ours is, well alot smaller than that! Older subdivision... smaller streets... and no, there is nothing wrong with older subdivision.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I find the cul de sac pretty easy to maneuver, but if my neighbors have some people over it can be a little tricky. Mine is also pretty large. One of my friends can park his 34.5 foot Airstream Motor Home in front with a little room to spare.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
I find the cul de sac pretty easy to maneuver, but if my neighbors have some people over it can be a little tricky. Mine is also pretty large. One of my friends can park his 34.5 foot Airstream Motor Home in front with a little room to spare.
Not so here, on an empty cul de sac maybe, but not with our street parking.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
It's not the cul de sac, it's the cul de sac with an incline (i.e. driveway) that forces you to throw wood, cardboard and other garage debris to prevent the backend from bottoming out!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Goodness, look at all these new Oklahoma members. I've been restoring Airstream/Argosy trailers and lurking on this site for several years and now that I've finished the trailers and am building a house at the lake, local trailer people appear. We could have had a lot to talk about at one time, but unless you know how to drywall, mud and tape and do plumbing, we are going in different directions. You will have a great time restoring an Airstream. They are full of dreams and possibilities. If we can help, please let us know. We're up here in Chandler, just 25 miles from OKC and Edmond. Actually spend lots of time at the Lowe's in Edmond buying building supplies.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #17

1970 23' Safari
logandale , Nevada
Hi

Sounds like us!!! We started on our 23' 1970 Airstream back in March and have made great progress and learned alot. We are looking forward to a first trip in a few weeks. I must say you are in the right place here, the information on this site has been so helpful to us and the people seem so wonderful, we are looking forward to joining in on some of the Airstream fun. My blog is Rgrunion.blogspot.com.
bobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
Goodness, look at all these new Oklahoma members. I've been restoring Airstream/Argosy trailers and lurking on this site for several years and now that I've finished the trailers and am building a house at the lake, local trailer people appear. We could have had a lot to talk about at one time, but unless you know how to drywall, mud and tape and do plumbing, we are going in different directions. You will have a great time restoring an Airstream. They are full of dreams and possibilities. If we can help, please let us know. We're up here in Chandler, just 25 miles from OKC and Edmond. Actually spend lots of time at the Lowe's in Edmond buying building supplies.
Ok, see I'm still trying to forget about the home renovation. We had a bathroom that was "Under construction" (unusable) for about a year. Ended up calling a pro plumber....Good luck with the house!!

Are trailer owners scarce in this area?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd View Post
Sounds like us!!! We started on our 23' 1970 Airstream back in March and have made great progress and learned alot. We are looking forward to a first trip in a few weeks. I must say you are in the right place here, the information on this site has been so helpful to us and the people seem so wonderful, we are looking forward to joining in on some of the Airstream fun. My blog is Rgrunion.blogspot.com.
I can't wait to take her out on our maiden voyage. Like you, it will be awhile... especially as it keeps raining here. Although, that has helped us find some of the leaks!! We are learning alot too. It's nice to have the option of trying fix it yourself.

TAC OK-42

]