Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hello.... fellow AS enthusiasts....

A number of years ago I bought a 1965 26' Overlander thinking that it would be a great project to remodel (as I had seen some other remodels on older Airstreams). I'm a big fan of the airstream design.

The trailer was is decent condition, but the layout with two single beds wasn't my preference. I decided it needed to be remodeled to have a rear queen. I pulled out the rear bath and exposed the steel frame below with the intention of stripping or sealing off some of the rust that was on the steel frame below. Unfortunately at that point in time I ran out of money and time.

So... I have a partially torn apart 26' Overlander that's a mess inside. I've come here to ask... what approach makes sense from here? Is there much value remaining in this trailer or have I screwed the pooch by tearing up the interior?

Any idea what it might be worth to sell to someone who has the money and time to make it what it could be?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Trailer values vary widely depending on vintage, model/size, and obviously condition. Representative photographs will help others formulate some ideas.

Just my thoughts...

Having the trailer intact is usually the best sell but there are buyers looking for shells or basket cases to make "Their Own" or reno. Sales prices for such rigs are usually much lower than an intact rig in good shape/appearance. If you still have all the removed materials and components then you're better off but the resale is still diminished. If the shell is in great shape and the rig has minimal structural issues (Good Bones) then your task will be easier and the returns slightly higher.

Post some pictures if you can and you should get some ideas from the group.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
As far as sealing off the rust for future repairs I use this liquid green stuff called 'OSPHO' that they use in the oilfields to maintain their pipes. It can be gotten at Sh. Williams. about 14 dollars a gallon.