Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Hello everyone

This is my first post so I hope I`m posting my concerns in the right place.

Just a little about my current situation:

I`m currently living in Tokyo Japan and married. We have an eight month old beautiful daughter. I`m currently a translator/proofreader at an international patent law firm, but I`m really looking forward to returning to the states in the near future so that I can attend graduate school in California (San Francisco).

We have been debating on how to go about living in the US. My wife is Japanese so she is used to living frugally and I`ve been in Japan since 2000 so I`ve also gotten used to cramped spaces and living frugally. What we are debating on is whether buying an RV; preferably a newer model Airstream, and renting a place to park it would be a good idea. I`ve been looking at all of the various Airstreams configurations and I think the 28 International Signature Series or an older model with bunkbeds would suit our needs. If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Since I plan on attending graduate school in the San Francisco area, if someone has any advice on finding someplace to park it I would appreciate it.
Chikusho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

What you are proposing is quite doable. You can live full time in your Airstream while going to school, and then when your done if you decide to get a stationary home, you can still have your Airstream to travel and vacation in.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Welcome to the forums

This is a great place to get advice. I think some of those folks in CA can give you the scoop on finding a place to park, which might be challenging. The cost of living is a big concern out there....especially with going back to school. Good luck on your adventures. Keep us posted!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
That`s what I`m thinking. I`m trying to convince my wife that paying rent is not a good idea, especially since I just turned forty and don`t own a home in the states. It`s such a waste money and we could always upgrade the interior in the future or because of the resale value we could sell it and not lose and arm and a leg.

Is there another place that I should post my questions? I really need to think this through and try to determine where and how much it`s going to cost to park it along with travel expenses back and forth to school, work, etc.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
California

If you are going to school in CA you need to talk to those folks in CA. I hope that some of them will speak up and give you some good information about the parking of an RV anywhere close to where you need to be. Keep bumping this to the top every once in awhile so that they will have a chance to see it. I am sure someone will have some advice.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We full time so finding affordable quarters isn't always easy. The more reasonable rent rates were at club owned campgrounds like the WBCCI unit grounds or Good Sam campgrounds. Many have monthly rates. These usually included water, sewer, cable TV and sometimes WiFi. These would be an extra cost to you if you just rent a space at some mobile home park. Your savings on these alone could justify a longer commute to grad. school. This way you can enjoy living a little further away from the rat race.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
loudruff, I`ll keep that in mind.

Ricky, thanks for chiming in. I`m not really keen on renting space in a trailer park, but if I had to, I would. I`m budgeting between $5-700 a month. With both of us working, it shouldn`t be a problem. Do most campgrounds have space for at least two vehicles? Right now I`ve only got an SUV in mind, but the wife is going to need something small to get around in. I`ll "Google" the two campgrounds that you mentioned and see what I can find out.