Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Farmington , New Hampshire
Hello, everybody!

Just came back from our nearest Airstream dealer (State Line in Lebanon, ME). I have been interested in them for a while (and have been lurking here for a while- you are a very witty bunch).

We were overall very impressed with the Airstream as a product, especially comparing against many of the other brands on the lot of a comparable size to what we would like. I liked the looks of the International but my hubby was partial to the Safari.

Forgive me if I am repeating an old thread, but my question is: How would you rate the fit and finish, or the fine details of the Airstream? There is no doubt that they are sturdy, but my husband is a car afficionado and appreciates details. When we were checking out the International CCD he actually cut his finger on a corner of the interior aluminum that was raised. While the interior aluminum looks nice, we noticed the raised edges in every trailer that had it. I have to wonder why Airstream didn't make the junctions nice and flush.

Also, the doors on the overhead storage area on the International CCD seemed to be just cheap plastic, very flimsy. And the accordian style privacy door didn't close properly.

Everything else seemed to be very well made and well planned.

Does anyone else have any comments? Is this just something we noticed, or that was particular to the 2006 models?

Thanks for giving me my daily grins,

Laura
Lauran520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hi Laura and welcome to the forum. I wrote you a nice reply, however this forum doesn't seem to like my computer, so I can never get a guarantee on whether my thread will be posted or not, so here's the short answer:

Don't waste your hard-earned money. The inside of the new A/S looks just like any other brand...you can tell Thor Industries really put a lot of thought into the design. The frame is now made out of three-piece ribs, vs one-piece ribs on the older A/Ss.

If you really want an A/S, get yourself an older one in good shape.

Welcome again to the forum.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2005 Safari 25' that we purchased new. When we were shopping Airstreams, we noticed that the fit and finish on the less expensive model seemed to be nicer than the more expensive units. Even though we would have preferred the wraparound front and rear windows, we didn't care for the rather cheap looking sliding plastic doors on the overhead storage. We like the pull up doors much better.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Farmington , New Hampshire
Good things to keep in mind..

I will put more thought into an older (wiser?) AS.

Also, I had noticed the same thing about the Safaris; they seemed to be better constructed, interior-wise.

Thanks for the replies!
Lauran520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

My suggestion would be to attend a Airstream rally near your home (check the rally calendar on the blue toolbar at the top) and check out other folks Airstreams! A good rally always includes a nice tour of each trailer! That way you can talk face to face with others and get their opinions.

You will find opinions on all of the airstream ideas/makes/quality from every point of view here on the forum. I would say tour and look in as many Airstreams as you can! Make a list of the things you like/dislike and decide where you want to spend your hard earned money!

We went the vintage route, really prefer the looks of vintage ~ but that is just personal preference. We have less invested in our Bambi than in a new one IF we don't calculate our time in restoration....

There is also a interesting thread on Considerations for Choosing an Airstream. Click on the link below to view. Lots of things to think about when making a purchase, whether vintage or new.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...eam-22920.html

Good luck! Hope you find the perfect 'stream!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
_

. , .
hi lauran520 and welcome to the forums...

there are lots of threads here on quality control and fit and finish type issues...

search a little for a spectrum of views.

there is very little similarity
between a modern automated and precise auto factory...
and airsteam construction techniques.

almost all of the airstream construction process is done by human hands wielding tools.

few computers, no robotics, an occasional stamp or template...but even these are home made.

and airstreams are almost infamous for sharp edges and metal burrs and little bits of metal everywhere!

so no 2 airstreams are exactly alike.
two made on the same calendar,
and of the same model/length and style
will have subtile and obvious variations...
mostly this shows up in fit and finish.

anyone who takes a factory tour,
soon realizes this is old world, old style construction...
where the term craftsman means something...
and apprentice workers are building them too...

for my money (and they got some) the new classics are better built and have more durable surface materials and fewer fit/finish issues.

while the safaris and international/ccds...are more contemporary...

look at lots of trailers,
get inside and bounce around...
play with the features...and so on.

find a model or style that suits your needs
old or new...
buy one and go camping...

over time you will 'fit and finish' the little things to suit your family...

airstreams age well.
owners must remove the sharp edges..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
link

When we bought our CCD I had similar thoughts about some of the interior finish. The CCD's have little tolerance for error,everything is exposed. Think of installing carpet in a room as compared to hardwood floors, the carpet is much more forgiving. My final thought is the CCD models are probably more labor intensive and what you see is what you get ,not much hidden. Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote