Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Hello - DYI network info?

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and it looks great, there is so much information here it must take awhile to look it all over. I was wondering if any of you watched the show on DIY network titled "Classis Rides" about rebuilding a 1970 Airstream TT, I only have seen the last episode and would really enjoy watching the rest of them, did anyone record it??

Thank you all for the information you have posted and I look forward spending hours looking over the site.

higgy116

Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I am afraid I did not see the TV show I was too busy with Chummy and reading posts on this forum. Glad to have you here.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
DIY Network is pretty good about recycling shows... there's an excellent chance you'll get to see it again - Just keep checking their website.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgy116
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and it looks great, there is so much information here it must take awhile to look it all over. I was wondering if any of you watched the show on DIY network titled "Classis Rides" about rebuilding a 1970 Airstream TT, I only have seen the last episode and would really enjoy watching the rest of them, did anyone record it??

Thank you all for the information you have posted and I look forward spending hours looking over the site.

higgy116
Higgy,

Welcome to the forum. In general the info you get here is better than the DIY show. They make it look too easy, but then they are doing it in 10 half hour segments and cant get too deep into what they really had to do.

For example they showed how to strip the varnish off the woodwork and restain it. It looks great when done, but they did all of the woodwork in the trailer which means they must have taken all of it out. No small task.

They painted the interior a hideous yellow. They used silicone which is a no-no. They should have used Vulkem on the exterior.

The last episode I have they put new wheels and tires on. They never mentioned repacking the bearings, which would have been the first thing I would have done, unless they did that in the first episode which dealt with ripping out the interior and I haven't seen it.

There are a lot of other things a "purist" would object to but all in all they did are credible job.

I am hoping they will make a DVD set with all 10 episodes. There are a lot of good ideas and information. But as I said, the forum is the best source for information.

Good Luck and above all have fun.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Thank You all for your responses, I am sure I would look here and ask questions of all of you that have more experience with these issues, but thought it would be fun to watch.
Thanks again
Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgy116
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and it looks great, there is so much information here it must take awhile to look it all over. I was wondering if any of you watched the show on DIY network titled "Classis Rides" about rebuilding a 1970 Airstream TT, I only have seen the last episode and would really enjoy watching the rest of them, did anyone record it?? Thank you all for the information you have posted and I look forward spending hours looking over the site.
higgy116
Hi Higgy,

Some things that don't make sense will make sense after watching DIY's version of the remodel but only generally. You'll get better info here on the forums. Watching the series should be only in addition to what you learn here. They're starting to rerun the show tomorrow, from the first episode. check www.diynetwork.com

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote