Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Hello from British Columbia!

Hello all! I'm Cameron and I live in a tiny house in North Vancouver, BC Canada with my two labrador retrievers Kai and Samm. I'm an Architect & have been fascinated with Airstreams for quite some time. I'm going to be looking at a 1972 25' Tradewinds Landyacht this Sunday. The photographs the owner sent are quite spectacular. Very clean, no dents, everything in perfect working order and it has always been parked under cover. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person and, hopefully, putting an offer on her.

I'll be putting her to use almost immediately as I will be living in it it all summer while I tear down my "shack" and build my new home. I'm already designing my backyard trailer pad in anticipation.

This looks like a great place and I look forward to reading and discussing all that is Airstream.

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Gotta love this place

Welcome to the forum!
It is a great place, I check it two or three times a day.
Lots of friendly, knowledgable people here.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Welcome Cameron!!
You´ll soon love this forum and probably won´t want to life without it (as most people here do). If you have a question just post it and you´ll have plenty of answers in a minute!

We have 5 year old yellow lab girl named Chiara.
B.C. is such a beautiful place! I have been there two years ago just for a few days staying in Sun Peaks and Tyax Mountain Lodge, but fell in love with it... Hope to return with my wife next year or so.

Enjoy!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Greetings Cameron!

Cameron,
Since your intention is to live in this, my advice to you is to test all the systems before you purchase.
Although I imagine it is very cold where you are; try to test the water, electric, and gas.
Ask to have the refrigerator and air conditioner operable.
Arrange ahead of time to have the furnace running and the hot water heater operating.
Check all the faucets. See if there are any leaks. Fill the holding tank(s) to see if they leak
See if the stove works. Try all the cabinets and drawers.
If the present owner has facilities for hook-up to water and gas, inquire if he would be kind enough to do this ahead of time.
If everything works, be fair with the Seller in regards to his asking price.
If not, determine the value of repairs and go from there....

Good luck!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome. Hope you get your Airstream. You can go to www.vintageairstream.com to see lots of older trailers. I'm at work so I can't think of the site that will give you Cost vs Condition, but someone here should know it. It will help you arrive at a fair price for the trailer. I agree that you should test out the systems; however, don't pass on this 72 if something doesn't work perfectly. There were things wrong with my 78 when I got him home because I didn't know enough to test everything. Thank goodness I was too stupid to know all the right questions because this Argosy is the love of our lives and we have had such a great time restoring him. Certainly don't buy if the price is high and you will be faced with large item repair bills. But if you can get the price down enough to cover your repairs and the running gear is good, bring it home.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Welcome to the forums. There are a few other forum members in BC as well. If you are interested in meeting some other Airstreamers in your neighborhood or need more advice you might want to contact someone in your local WBCCI club. Here is a link to their web site. Good luck!
http://www.airstreambc.com/qry/index.taf
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking Welcome to the wonderful world of Aluminum

Hello Kai and Samm... Good luck with your purchase.. it becomes and addiction.. we have had 1 25' Tradewind and 2 Argosys.. have sold all of them but the next will just be around the corner.. We are from Peterborough Ontario.... B.C. is lovely at this time of year... has spring arrived? ..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Jim, thank you for the very good purchase tips. It really isn't all that cold here, though. The last two weeks have dipped to 0 celcius, but normally it's fairly mild...very similar to Seattle. I'll be viewing the trailer on Sunday and if it really as good as the pictures indicate, I don't think I'll be hagling over price too much. I might see if he wants to swap me straight across for my motorcycle though (I want a different one anyways ).
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote