Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Herkimer,NY , soon to be Keswick,VA
Hello AS world!

Well, we did it! After looking for several years for a used 25' we pulled the trigger and became the new owner of a 25' 2014 Flying Cloud. Here in upstate NY our season won't start till the snow and ice are gone, sometime in April or early May. We will be towing with a 2011 Dodge 2500 HD diesel. My first big question is about insurance. Are there insurance companies that deal specifically with AS trailers? If so, is there a specific company that someone would deal with or not deal with? Anything specific to look for in coverage, or certainly not omit? Second question concerns a hitch. I will need to have one installed. Any recommendations? Again, what not to do as much as what to do concerning the hitch. Thanks in advance for all the good advice. Been cruising this board for several years and its really great to be on board. Been a tough winter up here. Can't wait to get going. Jim & Jenny

herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
there are no doubt folks on here that will be much more knowledgeable about this than myself....but what surprised me with a few quotes was how progressive gave me a lower rate than my allstate folks did and the coverage was better.

In specific, their plan included either a 4 or 5 year (I cant remember exactly) time frame from buying new that if totaled the agree to provide you with an identical new model or if no longer available one of the same original brand new value...I forget the technical insurance jargon here...something like "total replacement value".....

This was huge for me, because it eliminated the concern about a total loss and being upside down with the loan....essentially built in "gap insurance" kinda....

Allstate vs. progressive was a no brainer for me in this case....lower premium, better coverage, and as I understand both companies are relatively experienced in AS claims...

I recall reading of some other companies on this forum that are less well known that gave competitive rates...

Good luck...and CONGRATULATIONS!! pics please!

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey there Herkimer. I went to college in the Adirondacks and well know the seasons you folks have up there. You will find most likely that when in tow your Airstream is covered for LIABILITY by the tow vehicle insurance. That will cover the other guy. Now you need to cover your AS. We have ours added to our auto policy for collision and comprehensive damages and it costs about $250 / year additional. We have needed once and it covered damages nicely. The insurance company was eventually compensated by the " Other Guy insurance" and we got our deductible back. I'm sure you will find other options available but this one was quick, available and works well for us.

Regarding hitches, put your reading glasses on and get comfortable. You will find a lot of options and opinions and yes, some of them can get costly. There are many choices available and you will need to make a decision on your own. We tow with an Anderson Hitch and have been very happy with it.

Good Luck, See ya on the road sometime.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
You will need insurance, I would recommend using your existing policy (if it is reasonable) because with insurance, it is typically cheaper to package all of your items together. If the insurance you have right now doesn't make you happy, right now is a perfect time to shop around and ask what kind of a rate you could get from other companies. It never hurts to ask. I have USAA, and I package everything (house, cars, trailer) with them.

Hitch- It will all depend on tow vehicle, tongue weight, trailer weight. You can over-do-it and you can under-do-it. Buy the right sized hitch for what you have. Research it out and listen to what other forum members say about their 25 footers..
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
In addition to your basic insurance, you might look at products offered by the Good Sam club and probably by the AAA. They cover other issues that you might encounter while traveling, such as motel stays if your AS ends up in the local shop and you have to wait a couple of days for parts.

(As happened to our neighbours.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Slightly different topic, but I'd suggest you always carry a good supply of Herkimer Diamonds with you wherever you go, best barter material I can think of. Are you anywhere near the mine?
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Actually very close. Our home is less than 10 miles from the two major "mines". Carrying some "Herks" is a wonderful idea. FYI, there is a KOA across from one of the diamond mines and I have seen several AS there on occasion. Thanks for the idea. Jim & Jenny
Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida

I had the same experience as Pharmgeek with insurance. We were already with Progressive for cars and boat, and couldn't be happier with "Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price" that they offered. Our agent put in the sticker price from our new '14 (yikes) as a replacement amount..........

I am not involved with Progressive in any way, but I can tell you that I had an 11 year old outboard on my boat that had an electrical fire (wiring harness overheated) last spring and they fixed it on my boat policy with virtually no premium increase this year. Good enough for me.

Oh and yes there is plenty of reading here concerning hitches. My experience towing a Flying Cloud 27FB with an F150 that is properly spec'd for all tow ratings has been great with a new Blue Ox BXW1000. It tows perfectly level, puts the right weight back on the axles of the truck, is quiet, affordable, and easy to hookup. Whats not to like? With your truck, any quality hitch properly setup (and this takes some study to do right) should tow that 25 very well. Best wishes and welcome to the family!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Progressive beat my Allstate Quote handily, like Pharma says.

Hitchwise, the Equalizer is a good option.

Try winter dry camping. Pretty darn fun, and you don't need to lose out on a few months.
2014 28' Flying Cloud
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab CTD 4x4
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I towed our 25FB with a Hensley hitch home empty from the selling dealership behind a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. After crossing the scales camping ready, we were overloaded on the front axle and GVW of the Mercedes which resulted in a 2012 Ram 2500HD diesel.

Our original insurance was through Farm Bureau as they had all our other coverage. We then dug into the details and our contents in the trailer had coverage from the homeowners policy. Thus we would face two deductibles if there were a major incident and they did not provide replacement coverage. We went with a Good Sam policy on the trailer and the double deductible disappeared along with replacement coverage for many years.

No incidents to date, so all insurance is great while they are collecting premiums with no claims.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks everyone. So far it looks like Progressive has the best comprehensive policy. The Total Lose Replacement clause is very desirable to me as a newbie! We finish paying for the FC, yet to be named, in 2 weeks. It stays at the dealership until the weather clears here in upstate NY and then we start. Never been so anxious for spring to come. JnJ
Old 02-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #12
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hi and welcome! I would suggest you call FCIS insurance in Forest City Iowa. They were 50% less than Progressive in my case.
FCIS Insurance - Iowa Life, Auto, RV and Pet Insurance Company

Congratulations on the new trailer!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
If you have USAA, try them. I have progressive through USAA (they don't want to mess with older trailers any more, I think, at least on new policies). I find my fulltimer's insurance rather reasonable.

AIR 57698, TAC NM-9.
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote