Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Morongo Valley , California
Hello all, my first post.

Always wanted an AS and now it looks like it's going to happen. Been lurking here for a while (lots of good info) and have a question. When buying used, is there a checklist to use when inspecting an AS. Thanks in advance.
Alan

Ps: looking forward to more time here and on the road.
Alan 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the forums. We're glad to have you with us. Your best bet would be having an experienced RVer with you you when looking at a used unit.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hi Alan 117, welcome to the forums. Finding the right AS can be a chore. There are voluntary inspectors here who are willing to go with you to check out a purchase. If this is your first travel trailer purchase, having someone go with you is a very big help.

Like used car sales from private owners, they are sold "as is". You can ask specific questions like "Is the furnace working?" or "are there any appliances that aren't working?", but it's best to check all of those things, including the air conditioner. Be suspicious of a seller who you feel is trying to duck questions. All trailers have issues of some sort. You want one that may have SOME but not major ones, unless they are revealed to you and you are willing to put some money into it up front.

See how the current owners have taken care of it, ask about their trips and how well it trailered behind their tow vehicle. You can learn a lot about something for sale just by engaging the owners in conversation. Do they love it? Did they have fun with it?

Turn on every appliance, all the faucets, walk the floors and check for soft spots, especially in the bathroom. Look for extra caulking around the shower, ask the owner if there have been any leaks. Let your sense of smell guide you too, mold smells. If the inside has been sprayed with something like Febreeze you should be cautious, suspicious. Specifically ask if there has been any leaks. Rotting wood has a distinct smell.

Check the age / condition of the tires. Look for rot on the sidewalls, look at the manufacturing stamp of the week and year the tires were made.

Check out the dump valves, gray and black, confirm they are operating OK. Have city water attached and make sure all the pipes are holding pressure. Have water in the fresh water tank and check out the pump. Check the outside shower and black tank sprayer if so equipped.

Check out all the lights, exhaust fans, inverter, converter, age of the batteries, age and condition of the propane tanks. Light the stove burners and oven, light the furnace.

Wow, so many things to think about . Just going over all of this in my head is something else. I didn't take anyone and pretty much trusted the seller and his wife. I think they're some things they failed to disclose to us but we really wanted the AS and had been looking at the sales that were close to us, this was the only one. We've had it 3 years now (longer than they owned it) and have found some things that had to be (and need to be) repaired. But we've had a lot of use out of it, no thoughts of buyer remorse.

Good luck in your search, but take someone with you, a volunteer from here or someone who knows about RVs.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Welcome to the group! This is the place for any questions you may have about Airstreams.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums. The thread below has some very complete inspection checklists for buying a used trailer:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Morongo Valley , California
Thanks for the responses everybody. My first post was short because I was on the way to work. I am an experienced Rv'er. I actually put a deposit on a 30' FC but it's 1700 miles from my house. I will be traveling there in about 3 weeks. The current owner said if when I see it in person and I'm not happy with it he will return my deposit. I have spent a total of a couple of hours talking to the owner over the course of several phone calls and feel comfortable with the results. He provided many pictures and personal info that I was able to verify. I'm just thinking a check list might bring up something I haven't considered. Again, thanks so much. I will follow up when and if this deal happens.
Alan
Alan 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There are check lists. Good idea. A lady we met at Jackson Center told us about her AS search. It went like this.

First, find out the problems associated with the specific model you are considering. So spend some time in the model specific threads.

Second, all AS coaches will leak if not well maintained and stored under cover. Look for soft spots. Get a moisture meter. Verify and don't assume. If the prior owner did the job right, shake their hand with authority. If it has been stored inside, that is a good thing. Just do not assume it will not leak if you store it outside. If you stay vigilant, you too can have a dry coach.

Third, 2012 was about the time that Goodyear Marathons started coming from off shore. Five years + shelf life is getting long in the tooth for even a good set of any brand tires. Replace the tires before you head home if they are original and even if they have lots of tread remaining.

Fourth, the brakes need to be checked and the hub bearings need to be repacked periodically. Cover those items before you hit the road, if it's been more than two years since service.

The rest, well you know about the RV stuff. Welcome to the shiny side.

Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Most owners think that their trailers are in good shape, rot and leak free, and are not trying to misrepresent what they have. So it is a buyer-beware environment, even if you are buying a used trailer from a dealer, where you might expect them to have done a full inspection before taking it in on consignment/trade-in.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote