Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Staten Island , New York
Hello all

I'm new here. Hubby and I are in the market for a used Airstream and begin my lifelong dream of traveling the beautiful USA.
MTALadyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on your decision, LadyP, and best of luck with your project of finding your dream.

We are here to help you.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Welcome to the streamin dream! I full time and I love it!! Good luck in your search for a wonderful Airstream!!
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Even if you want used, it wouldn't be a bad idea to visit Colonial Airstream in NJ - not that far from NYC. They have a huge inventory and you could get a good idea of what your favorite layout, etc. would be.

Colonial also gets a respectable number of newer used Airstreams in trade. To me a 3-4 year old unit is probably the sweet spot for used and "road ready" Airstreams. Older units often need major renovation or outright rebuilds before they're good to go.

Welcome and happy hunting.

Paula
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Welcome !

LadyP, you're on the cusp of joining a great group composed of people of superior insight, great taste, and discerning wisdom ....

Along the way, be sure to check out local AS owner groups. If the members are anything like many of us out here in Northern CA, we find the need to get together a couple times a year, drink wine and margaritas, stand around munching on whatever, and mutually assure ourselves that we're not as nuts as everyone who doesn't own an Airstream thinks we are. Really ... we're not ...

My wife and I have been "Airstreaming"--our first RV of any kind--for a year now, and it's changed our lives. We love it, and after each outing can't wait to get on the road again.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
I agree with Paula. A 3-4 yr old Airstream might be the way to go (used or otherwise). In fact, I wish I would have consulted the forums before I signed on the dotted line for my 2011 16' Sport. I'm kinda embarrassed to say but I paid wayyyyyyyy too much for mine ($35k to be exact!). Months after, on the forums, I saw gently used 16' Bambi's for a lot less. But as they say, 20/20 only comes after you take that step. Oh well, it is what it is and I LOVE my Airstream Sport and I'm so glad I'm on this journey! I wish you smooth roads ahead!!! Take care.
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Welcome!!! We love our 1989 Excella 29'. What size are you considering? You are certainly in the right place! What kind of tow vehicle will you be using?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Staten Island , New York
New Truck

We are waiting anxiously awaiting delivery of our new Ford F150 with the new Ecoboost engine. Hubby is now second guessing the airstream till we officially retire. We have a few years yet. We have camp upstate and he feels we will waste our money having it sit in a camp. I love the larger ones as I am spoiled having an R-vision with a nice sized slide out. We are still going to make an appt to visit the facility in Lakewood. Although it doesn't seem like he has much in the used department posted. As spring approaches might the selection improve?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Staten Island , New York
We also just joined Good Sam. Any comments on that?
This forum is wonderful!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream.

In my book, you are on the right track. We are younger retirees (early 60's). We have been able to spend the last six years traveling extensively (990 nights/90,000 miles) in our our dear Lucy. We have traveled in all of the lower 48 states. We have been having the time of our lives. We plan to Airstream as long as we possibly can.

Do your research here on these Forums, and you will be prepared to to make wise choices as to your future Airstreaming. Hit a couple of the Air Forums Rallies this spring. You will find Airstream people friendly and helpful. Visit an Airstream dealer, and look at all his new and used stock. This will give you an idea of which Airstream size and model will best suit you.

Good luck in your endeavor, and keep us posted.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3278.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	149419  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The "Search"

Welcome to the forums.

We started looking for our Airstream a few years before we retired. First we went to the RV shows and visited a couple of dealers to decide on which model we liked the best. Our choice was a 25 FB Safari. Then we started searching for used trailers. We ended up taking a couple of years and bought ours before we retired because we found a good deal on CL. Buying new was out of the question for us. We managed to save about 20K on a very slightly used coach that was in very good shape.

With a half ton truck, I believe most will agree that 25 ft is sort of the dividing line for towing. I have heard great things about the Eco Boost so I doubt you will have much trouble with your set up.

Best wishes.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote