Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hello all!

My name is Stephen (Steve) and I should be driving to check out an '74 Argosy that my wife and I might buy. Road conditions (in Alberta) are not good for the 2 hr journey right now so I have to wait. I just hope it's still available when I get there.
I am, like most folks new to this, overwhelmed by the amount of information available on these forums.
I do have several questions and concerns and will post these in the relevant (I hope) areas.

Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Steve, we're glad to have you here! Do you have an inspection checklist ready for your trip to see the Argosy? There are many suggestions here on the forums for what to check out - can save you some headaches down the road. Good luck!

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Welcome Bex,

Glad you're here and hope you find that deal you're looking for. Keep us posted.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Aluminitus Carrier
1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Hi Bex! Hope to meet you and your new frosted twinky soon!
Come visit my Airstream Web-Log at:

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Welcome to the AS/Argosy world of fun and frustrations (they go hand in hand).
My wife and I purchased a '78, 27ft Argosy last year and it just went into the paint shop yesterday. There are a number of check lists to choose from. The suggestions I have is this:
Bring a good, strong light flashlight and check for small cracks around the Argosy, check the sub flooring closely, especially in the bath area and the kitchen, around the door, check for any leak marks on ceiling/walls behind the gauchos and around the freshwater container, step on the back bumper and do a jump up and down thing to see if there are any rear end separation issues, look for evidence of "small creatures" living or have lived in the trailer (especially if it has sat in a field or back yard for sometime).
I did none of these and was "surprised" to find these issues AFTER I offered to buy it. You can negotiate a lower price if there are issues with any of the above items plus if the appliances do not work then add about $3 - 5k for replacement costs. If you can find someone who owns an AS/Argosy and/or are members of one of the clubs and see if they are willing to travel with you to see the trailer. Good luck and success. There is an AS/Argosy out there for you and yours. jjairstream
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Thanks folks
I downloaded the inspection report I found which was an enormous help.
So I went to see the trailer. The pics the seller took of it put it in a much better light than I was expecting. Disappointing is the best word to describe it. Mostly what I could inspect was, I believe, just cosmetic. There was evidence of mouse infestation, a little black mold which I have no issue with, I work with products that will remove that. I would guess the water pump (which could not be started, no water in the system) has frozen, so too possibly any coil in the water heater. I will post my findings in the other forums and ask for advice. I just wanted to respond to you all here to let you know I saw and appreciate your comments.
Which are the best forums to post in, I took some photos and would like an indication of what the current value of the trailer might be. Relative to what one wants to pay I know but an indication would help.

Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2008 16' International CCD
kitimat , british columbia
Welcome fellow Canadian's. I recently discovered the classified section of the forums. There is a wide selection of used trailers for sale that may help you gage the pricing.
Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Roblin , MB.
Welcome Steve, from Manitoba.
We have a '74 31' Sovereign (centre bath). I can say they are solid coaches, although rear end sag was prevelant with the rear bath models.
We knew ours was solid before we purchased it as we had it inspected by a fellow A/S Member who had lot's of experience in restoring his older model A/S. But there was still lots of work to do - pex plumbing, tires, shocks, certifying the aluminum propane tanks, new flooring, fixing outside lighting, replacing the old univolt (boat anchor) tambour door repairs, etc.
I guess I would advise you not to buy the first A/S you look at as there are lots of them out there. Part of the journey can be the interesting search to find just the right one for you.
Good shopping!!
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi Stephen. Welcome to the forums. We'll be attending an Airstream rally in Rosebud, AB on the May long weekend. You guys should drop by and meet some Airstreamers and see if you can glean some advice (and take some tours of trailers!). This will only be our second rally, and we are really looking forward to it. If you see our 2 dogs (pictured below our name), come over and introduce yourselves. Hope to see you there!

Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote